Dangerous Hunting - Epic animal fights!

@Rwn and all others,

I've been using v1.04 in a game that has reached 1000AD. I have met 3 of the 10AI in this game and all are doing well with it. Big Plus here!

I should add up front that my game does not use the Size Matters nor the Fight or Flight Options that Rwn advises to use. In fact I don't use most of his suggested set up options. And with a few minor strength issues this modmod plays very well.

Pluses:
It does succeed in slowing down map discovery.
It takes planning to found your early cities (as designed). Slows early expansion rush somewhat.
It has added another layer of strategy for the early game.

Minuses:
Early Prehistoric Military units are mostly animal fodder without a "hunter" line unit with them. (This one is minor at best because of the design choices made in making it.)
Some animals are a bit strong still (hawks I mentioned in particular) (again this is minor as they can be tweaked 1 or 2 str down and still be a bada** opponent)
Sea animals were neglected in this Modmod.
Some players will complain about hunting "results" from the killing or the subduing as being excessive. (the old tired too much this (gold) and too much that (food) mantra)

Overall, as this modmod currently stands, I give it a Big Plus 1, even though I don't use the suggested set up Options Rwn wanted used. 4 :c5plus: out of 5 rating.

So if you're looking for a modmod to spice up your C2C game experience give this one a try.

JosEPh :D

@Rwn and all others,

I've been using v1.04 in a game that has reached 1000AD. I have met 3 of the 10AI in this game and all are doing well with it. Big Plus here!

I should add up front that my game does not use the Size Matters nor the Fight or Flight Options that Rwn advises to use. In fact I don't use most of his suggested set up options. And with a few minor strength issues this modmod plays very well.

Pluses:
It does succeed in slowing down map discovery.
It takes planning to found your early cities (as designed). Slows early expansion rush somewhat.
It has added another layer of strategy for the early game.

Minuses:
Early Prehistoric Military units are mostly animal fodder without a "hunter" line unit with them. (This one is minor at best because of the design choices made in making it.)
Some animals are a bit strong still (hawks I mentioned in particular) (again this is minor as they can be tweaked 1 or 2 str down and still be a bada** opponent)
Sea animals were neglected in this Modmod.
Some players will complain about hunting "results" from the killing or the subduing as being excessive. (the old tired too much this (gold) and too much that (food) mantra)

Overall, as this modmod currently stands, I give it a Big Plus 1, even though I don't use the suggested set up Options Rwn wanted used. 4 :c5plus: out of 5 rating.

So if you're looking for a modmod to spice up your C2C game experience give this one a try.

JosEPh :D
Have you considered, just for the sake of evaluation, playing a game with the suggested settings through the prehistoric?

I'm not playing the modmod with my test - I'd like to maybe come back around and try it and some others. I wanted to establish a more clear understanding of the current feel of the game without adjustment before I stepped into attempting any of the proposals. (It's also difficult to maintain modmods when you work off a pure SVN repository mod folder.)

So far I"m finding the core is pretty enjoyable - amazingly so - at least through the prehistoric. I am growing more curious about how this modmod changes things. I know from my wife's biases that it might need to either remain a modmod or become an option. Either way it would be hard to keep updated properly unfortunately. Maybe a blending of the current game with concepts here might be the way to go. Or perhaps this is just that fun. Your review makes it sound like it would be very difficult for newer players or players that don't want a truly tough starting environment though.

Your review makes it sound like it would be very difficult for newer players or players that don't want a truly tough starting environment though.

Perhaps, but for a new player All of C2C is a bewildering maze that you just have to traverse. Along the way you discover your likes and dislikes from all our Options. Is that not true?

Rwn's modmod is "almost" a throwback to the early Subdued Animals and Hunters of C2C. well it reminds me a lot of those times anyway.

Have you considered, just for the sake of evaluation, playing a game with the suggested settings through the prehistoric?

Not really, as I feel I would 1st have to play around with FoF and SM in several games to get a grip on their play. Otherwise my assessment would be that of a "new" player, if you understand what I mean. And might be full of misconceptions that we commonly see posted by such players.

I started several games thru the 4 versions Rwn put out with my "comfort zone" set of Options, mainly to see if it broke any thing game play wise. That was my Main goal. And v 1.04 from my personal perspective is enjoyable to play, and does not, impo, break the mod.

But I also know there will be players who will complain that the animal spawn rate is too much (because they want an easier time of it), and/or too long into the games time line. But I feel that even at 1000AD there were myriad wild animals that civilizations had to deal with on a regular basis. And I did use Normal Game speed with this current game, so there is a time compression factor involved. Which doesn't bother me at all for testing.

JosEPh

Not really, as I feel I would 1st have to play around with FoF and SM in several games to get a grip on their play.
It would be helpful, if you're going to be on the team, to gain a familiarity here. Very helpful. Besides I've been looking for your play experience feedback. You do give good commentary. I realize some of it won't suit you but I'd be curious to see if more of it does than you suspect.

On that topic, have you tried the alternative promotion tree in the Healing Rates modmod? I'm curious if that seems to solve issues you have with the volume of promotions.

Otherwise your report on this was really strong. I appreciate being able to read the feedback.

It would be helpful, if you're going to be on the team, to gain a familiarity here. Very helpful.
Suggestion duly noted.

Besides I've been looking for your play experience feedback. You do give good commentary. I realize some of it won't suit you but I'd be curious to see if more of it does than you suspect.

On that topic, have you tried the alternative promotion tree in the Healing Rates modmod? I'm curious if that seems to solve issues you have with the volume of promotions.

Otherwise your report on this was really strong. I appreciate being able to read the feedback.

No, I have not had the time to try Both Toffer's Healing Rates nor his Civics modmods. I want to! But I really was hoping to get this particular game into at least the Ren Era or Industrial. As I want to see how the Crimes for those Eras come into play as well as the pests and disease modmods (which I included in this one too). It's been too long since I've had a game reach those Eras (early last year iirc).

Maybe I should do all testing on Normal Game speed since Quick was removed? Anything slower and I'd never get to Medieval. I'm almost to Medieval now.

JosEPh

It does take time. I'm playing on Snail at the moment so even longer. But the game is, in many ways, hugely improved since I last played in earnest.

I am finding that with the "normal" SVN version also.

That's what I'm testing myself.

I can see lots still to do but I'm REALLY enjoying the game nevertheless.

Maybe I should do all testing on Normal Game speed since Quick was removed? Anything slower and I'd never get to Medieval. I'm almost to Medieval now.

JosEPh

I always play on Normal and i am NEVER ahead of the AI playing also on Marathon .

Also, i'd like this to be in the modules area (done correctly) and not the way it is set-up now, before v36. After the kinks are made in v36 that is. got to stop those CTD's

I always play on Normal and i am NEVER ahead of the AI playing also on Marathon .

Also, i'd like this to be in the modules area (done correctly) and not the way it is set-up now, before v36. After the kinks are made in v36 that is. got to stop those CTD's

You like the challenge this modmod gives to the player don't you SO. But I think DH thinks it undermines his purpose for subdued animals as a whole. Some clarity here between the 2 views would go a long way on this, don't you think?

Personally I had "Fun" with Rwn's modmod. But it still has some refinements needed. Example, No way Hawks at str 6 should take out galleys or better early ship types impo.

JosEPh :)

I have not tried this modmod because I don't play with its suggested game options on. All that combat stuff:rolleyes::lol:!

Version 1.something is in the first post but a few posts down there is s version 2. Which is the correct one to try?

One thing I wanted to do with returns from hunting and capture chance is to make them fit with the techs discovered but I have not had the time to do it. Basically
  • killing in combat provides the least return
  • butchering in the wild provides a bigger return, requires Basketry
  • then butchering in friendly territory (if not in your territory the return should go to your friend instead) requires Basketry
  • then butchering in a cities (if not in your territory the return should go to your friend instead)

Tech variations
  • Scraping increases food return
  • Chopping increases hammers return

Buildings in a city should increase returns also
  • Slaughter House increase food
  • Tannery/Feather Worker/Poison Maker increases hammers

For small animals this wont make much difference in return.

Capturing should also have some variation based on tech with the chance to capture small animals increased with Trap Making for example. Since the Capture mechanism requires that the unit be defeated (ie killed in combat) the chance to kill also has to increase or perhaps their chance to flee.

FYI/reminder the capture mechanism works this way
  1. Combat happens
  2. Was the unit killed?
    • Yes - Was it Captured instead? Remove old unit and place subdued unit.
    • Yes - Was a resource discovered instead? Place resource.
    • Yes - Other give returns to nearest city.

V1.04 was the latest and had better refinement and bug fixes in it. Found at Bottom of OP.

On your capture mechanism "Yes - Was a resource discovered instead? Place resource." I can't say when the last time I saw a resource discovered or placed in a C2C game. Perhaps the % chance is too low for this to occur even once in awhile?

JosEPh

V1.04 was the latest and had better refinement and bug fixes in it. Found at Bottom of OP.

On your capture mechanism "Yes - Was a resource discovered instead? Place resource." I can't say when the last time I saw a resource discovered or placed in a C2C game. Perhaps the % chance is too low for this to occur even once in awhile?

JosEPh

I had it happen 3 times in my current game. I am not yet at Sed Lifestyle.

I had it happen 3 times in my current game. I am not yet at Sed Lifestyle.

Okay then! you'll have to "teach" me how to get that! I must be extremely unlucky in that particular case. Or I'm failing to see the option on placing a resource from a subdued animal. :blush::confused::(

JosEPh

You don't get the option it happens automatically instead of a capture. It was toned down a bit way back to stop it happening if there was already a plot with that resource near by. In that case you get the capture.

Guess I've been terribly unlucky then. :(

I just thought maybe it wasn't active anymore.

JosEPh

It is subtle, you just get a message and I think you still get the yield from a kill in that case. I have seen it happen mostly with poultry which is a resource that is easily missed on the map.

Hey guys, Is this ModMod still playable given all the changes to the SVN version of the game around Hunting and subduing animals ?

Cheers
Colonelflag

Hey guys, Is this ModMod still playable given all the changes to the SVN version of the game around Hunting and subduing animals ?

Cheers
Colonelflag

It has not been updated to recent svn changes that have been done to Subdued Animals among other areas. It probably isn't. You could test it and report back. :)

JosEPh

Top Bottom