Database file structure

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
I have made a first-pass at the database file structure for Civ5, generally sticking the the same structure as for Civ4, but noting that there are a few minor changes.

Given that its a new database category, its probably a good idea to make the "fixes" now. As such, I'm opening this thread up for discussion on what works well, and what doesn't.

I hope this isn't contentious, but there may be some strong opinions. I will simply NOT be able to please everyone, but will try to get something that works for the majority.

Please post your opinions in this thread. More weighting will be given to well-reasoned opinions rather than "instructions". Once we have a decent list of ideas, I'll discuss with the creation & customization moderators and we'll agree the way forwad.

Thanks!

One change I would make had to do with the Unit Graphics.
Instead of dividing them up by Era, I would suggest by "type"
i.e.
Melee
Ranged
Mounted
Armored
Naval
Air
Special

(or whatever works)
I think it might help cut down some ambiguity for some units, where they may go. Modders would have an easier time finding units as well. If they needed art for a swordsman, they go to melee, instead of Ancient, and/or Medieval.

Imho the era based system is relativly good, was really okay for me when i searched for units for my mod.

I'd like to see a "mod patches" section in the database, so that the mods section doesn't get cluttered with patches and minor version changes.
Else i don't really see, what could be needed.

One change I would make had to do with the Unit Graphics.
Instead of dividing them up by Era, I would suggest by "type"
i.e.
Melee
Ranged
Mounted
Armored
Naval
Air
Special

(or whatever works)
I think it might help cut down some ambiguity for some units, where they may go. Modders would have an easier time finding units as well. If they needed art for a swordsman, they go to melee, instead of Ancient, and/or Medieval.

Imho the era based system is relativly good, was really okay for me when i searched for units for my mod.

I'd like to see a "mod patches" section in the database, so that the mods section doesn't get cluttered with patches and minor version changes.
Else i don't really see, what could be needed.

I'd like to second both of these.

Maybe also a modmod section in the database, given that some mods possessed thriving communities of their own. Sometimes 3 or more lairs deep. :lol:

Because you looked for Sci-Fi units ;)

The modern units category is pretty cluttered though; there some subcategories would be massively helpful - either by type (infantry/ships/mechanical) or a bit more by era (pre-WWII/post-WWII).

Cheers, LT.

Because you looked for Sci-Fi units ;)

The modern units category is pretty cluttered though; there some subcategories would be massively helpful - either by type (infantry/ships/mechanical) or a bit more by era (pre-WWII/post-WWII).

Cheers, LT.

This was primarily the reason why I thought, dividing it up by "type", vs Era.
The Industrial/Modern eras have such a diverse military.

I dont think having "too" many categories is an issue either, if it aids finding an appropriate file, so be it.

Well, the units are divided by era and by type in the manual. I don't mind either way. There aren't a whole lot of classical era or future era techs though (for example), however I guess the entire purpose of modding is to create new stuff, not rehash what's already there!

Since I don't normally create artwork, but I do look for it, I am going to second the request for a "by type" search option in addition to a "by era" search option.

My reason is simple... if I need some sort of ranged unit... I don't care about what era is comes from, just whether or not it looks like it could work for my purposes. Therefore, an era search is much less efficient than a "range" search.

Only thing I would suggest is ModPack is such an ugly name for a full mod. Yes, there were mods which were simply collections of other smaller mod components, but then you had full blown mods such as ffh, rtw, rom, etc which are most definitely not just a mod pack.

Maybe name the category "Mods" and have sub categories of "Mod Packs" and "Mod Conversions"?

Is it possible to assign a file to more than one category, using a blog-style system of 'tags'? That way, a 'swordsman' could be filed under 'ancient', 'melee', 'blade', 'infantry' etc etc allowing for more refined searches.

Top Bottom