Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Your question sounds like you are already running the git version of DoC. In that case, I suggest you also clone the separate repositories for Blue Marble and VD (in case you want that, see below) simply next to the mod directory in Beyond the Sword/Mods. You will find a BlueMarble.fpk file in its folder, you can then just copy it into RFC Dawn of Civilisation/Assets/.

For Varietas Delectat, you have to know that the module is currently compatible with the main mod, but it is common for that to change while the base mod is being developed. Also, when you install VD, it will overwrite some existing files of the base mod. That means that if you want to get updates affecting these files through git, there will be a conflict and the update will fail, in a way that is not easy to resolve for you. Essentially installing VD for a git version, even when compatible, will prevent further updates and defeat the purpose of running from git. If you still want to do it, copy the Assets folder from the VD git repo you cloned into RFC Dawn of Civilisation, integrating it into the existing Assets folder (overwrite everything).

But in that case, just downloading the installer to get DoC with VD is the safer and easier approach.
Very helpful, thank you!

How is the council determined? The council where a dozen or so civilizations come together and decide which cities they want and vote.

Clearly the council is not determined by sheer point score alone, but it gets laughable when my civilization who has 6 vassals and is nearly double the point score of the next strongest civilization, is not invited to the council, stating that my civilization isn't important enough.

What factors contribute to your civilization getting invited?

By the way, for context, I was playing Carthage on Monarch difficulty and I was heading towards a domination victory where I had controlled all of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East at the time (~1800 AD)

That sounds odd, score should be the deciding factor. Do you have a save just before a congress appears that you were not invited to because you are not important enough?

Are there any special requirements for being able to build the Great Cothon? When I still had 30 turns left prior to needing to build it for the Carthage UHV, it was built by the Greeks.

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

This is sheer madness.

If I raze them, I get stability penalty from razing cities.
If I keep them and raise them, I get stability penalty from overextension.
If I use them to whip out troops, I get stability penalty from the unhappiness.

What am I supposed to do?

View attachment 533592

This is sheer madness.

If I raze them, I get stability penalty from razing cities.
If I keep them and raise them, I get stability penalty from overextension.
If I use them to whip out troops, I get stability penalty from the unhappiness.

What am I supposed to do?
Some options:
Whip in non-core cities that are have higher happiness
Increase the population of your core if you haven't already
Build a Jail in all your non-core cities if you haven't already
Offset the instability with stability from other sources

Stability is one of the primary challenges of conquest UHVs.

You forgot another option.

Don't take Egypt. I always avoid Egypt while playing because it's terrible land riddled with even worse cities.

Also to add onto the council point. I'll post the save later since it's on a different computer, but I think there definitely is a problem. I was playing Rome. I had about 6 vassals, my point score was nearly triple the next strongest civ, and once again, there was a council where I was deemed "not important enough" to be invited to. I'll definitely post this save as soon as I can because that was just bizarre to me.

Some observations with the current version:

1) Spain often builds up a lot of troops, and conquers Italy, Germany, France or more than one of these. France especially often.
2) Vikings are very fast in tech through all eras, but are awful at managing stability and will constantly collapse & respawn throughout the entire game.
3) Mughals and Thailand are surprisingly good at teching until the Trading Company events fire.
4) AI Japan is very passive, I wish they would attack Korea/China more often.
5) I don't think I have ever seen Poland stay alive after the Early Renaissance era.
6) Defensive Pacts and United Nations wreaks havoc. Everyone is constantly at war with half the world and peace deals are meaningless because another refused 'Cease City' instantly leads to another world war. Civs that cannot sustain the diplomatic stability penalty collapse.

Last edited:
How does culture conversion work with Congresses?
Thailand had had Hanoi like forever, and then France took it via World Congress.
I, as Japan, conquered it in less than 5 turns from that and was going to return it but the option wasn't there.
I checked the culture bar and it was 27% Jap, 60% Fra, 4% Thai and 6% Independent.
So I guess it means that Thai culture was wiped out in like 2~3 years?
Is this working as intended?
Civ4ScreenShot0056.JPG

With the old culture flip system, yes. I thought my changes here had applied to congress flips too, but maybe not. This inconsistency is the result of the many independent implementations that I am trying to fix in 1.17.

Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0059.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0064.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0065.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0066.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0067.JPG

Another problem with the AIs are that they hold on to outdated civics (i.e. Conquest, Elective) for too long.
Kublai and Saladin are Middle Age Leaders so it might be understandable that they will stick to civics that were good in the Medieval Age,
but Walesa and Gerhardsen are Modern Age leaders- they should know better.

I haven't seen that about the UN but I totally agree with JHLee. Something I would add us that I'm seeing Mughals converting to Hinduism or Buddhism again. Also, Greece and Ethiopia should adopt Christianity rather than Islam.

On the other hand, I have a gameplay question: In my current game I'm playing as Japan in the 1860 and I'm just a few techs into the Industrial Era. Is this normal? For how long should I use my UP to catch up? Might upload a save tomorrow, but what techs should I go for?

BTW, just spent a GE on the Hermitage, that should help me catch up.

BTW) I was aiming to build Hermitage as Russia to catch science progress BUT then (after ~1820) nobody wants to trade late techs at all))) :thumbsup:

Also, Greece and Ethiopia should adopt Christianity rather than Islam.

More likely to do so, but not always.

For Greece, there were the semi-independent rulers of Greece in the 17th-18th centuries that were Muslim, and as for Ethiopia the Adal Sultanate name in game does work.

Is there an option at the World Builder that gives cities production excess as when activismo population or chopping forests?

In the city screen you can change the progress of the current production, basically mimicing the production bonus you get from chopping forests.

Close but not enough. It accelerates the current production but it does not add anything to those that follow.

You can temporarily switch the current production to the next element in the queue. Then you can add production to that element and switch back to the current production.

Top Bottom