Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

I'm working on enabling this at the moment, but right now Iran is in Persia's slot and you cannot start autoplay to Iran's spawn, only to Persia's spawn.

When I started a game as Italians, I had some heavy spearman.

When I told them individually to attack three french knights which was bordering rome, on I think the third turn of my game, every time a spearman died against these knights a fresh heavy spearman was there replacing them, ready to take action

But if I told them to attack as a group, these heavy spearmen did not have a replacement

Is this some kind of bug which I should report in the bug report thread with a save? I never saw units not dissapearing on death before

I assume that happened shortly after the spawn? It's a normal mechanic that a defeated unit has a chance to respawn in that period. Since it's random, attacking as a stack caused a different sequence of numbers being pulled from the RNG, giving the different result.

Yeah, it was on I think the second or third turn of the game, thanks I felt I was going crazy lol

BTW, someone in the italian guide stated to take rome within 2 turns of start. But, I can't declare war or anything for a couple turns at start of games, is there any way to declare war on indipendents ect at start of game? When I try moving unit over it just has them walk into the city

(I assume they have open borders for start of games so people arnt trapped or something? and have their units fly across the map to find an open spot lol)

Yeah, it was on I think the second or third turn of the game, thanks I felt I was going crazy lol

BTW, someone in the italian guide stated to take rome within 2 turns of start. But, I can't declare war or anything for a couple turns at start of games, is there any way to declare war on indipendents ect at start of game? When I try moving unit over it just has them walk into the city

(I assume they have open borders for start of games so people arnt trapped or something? and have their units fly across the map to find an open spot lol)

Before founding your first city you have open borders with everyone, even Independents.

You can go into the BUG settings to set your scoreboard to display minor civs too. Then you can declare war on them by holding Alt while left-clicking them on the scoreboard.

Yeah, I think this feature is confusing both when you are the one spawning or if you are fighting a new civ, not even considering the random aspect of it. It will be removed as part of the rewrite I am currently doing, and replaced by a different way to help a new player hold out against an immediate war.

I am using spies to do the culture mission and a spread unhappiness mission, but it has never given any experience to the spies nor towards the great spy counter in this latest playthrough.

Could the spy experience be bugged? If this sounds not normal ill go to the other thread and submit a report with a save

Last edited:
Could the spy experience be bugged? If this sounds not normal ill go to the other thread and submit a report with a save
That's a known issue. The only Great Spy in each game is awarded to the civilization that researched Psychology first.

That's a known issue. The only Great Spy in each game is awarded to the civilization that researched Psychology first.

oh okay.

Does spies not gaining experience at all (so I can't promote them) also a known bug?

Last edited:
oh okay.

Does spies not gaining experience at all (so I can't promote them) also a known bug?
If you can't get any XP, I would think so. I think several spy missions don't provide any XP, and the ones that do, provide a very minuscule amount. In one of my games, I repeatedly influenced the civics of other civilizations, but only got one or maybe 2 XP at a time. I was able to promote them with the XP they did receive, though. So try influencing civics, see if that gives you some XP.

I don't think it's due to that. After capping my research to win a cultural victory as China and then trying to win a Space Race victory as well, I stole about two eras worth of technology from the British at 78% chance of success and it didn't yield me a single point of experience. Possibly the 78% threshold is already too high but that sounds a bit weird to me.

If you want to needlessly kill your spies, I would suggest doing missions you're more likely to fail.
Fixed that for you.
If spies only gain their 1 experience from a mission that has a 50% failure rate, then you need to waste 4 spies to receive 1 spy on level 1, and 32 spies to receive 1 spy on level 2. That's not economic. (since I don't know how the experience is calculated, those numbers are made of thin air, but Wessel V1's observations don't seem wrong.)

Given how high the detection rate has become in the latest release, I'm extremely wary about using espionage at all, especially since I can't tell how likely it is that my spy will be detected when I'm advancing to the next turn: My spies are often detected when they are still moving towards their target; and waiting 5 rounds for the big payout has become riskier. Or I have been pretty unlucky with the RNG.

Edit: Oh, about Air Units. They should also be able to gain XP from missions.

This is the code that calculates the experience from espionage missions. For tech stealing, the getBaseExperience() = 200 and getDifficultyMod() = 25. With this, one can calculate that any tech stealing mission with a 80% or more succes chance will result in 0 XP.

For tech stealing, the following succes chances should yield these XP.
>79%: 0 XP
61-79%: 1XP
41-60%: 2XP
21-40%: 3XP
1-20%: 4XP

Because of the specific values, some espionage mission can never yield XP. Even with a 1% chance of succeeding, polluting water supplies or increasing city unhappiness can never provide any XP.

Code:
bool CvUnit::awardSpyExperience(TeamTypes eTargetTeam, EspionageMissionTypes eMission)
{
    int iExperience = GC.getEspionageMissionInfo(eMission).getBaseExperience();
    int iDifficulty = (getSpyInterceptPercent(eTargetTeam) * (100 + GC.getEspionageMissionInfo(eMission).getDifficultyMod())) / 100;

iExperience *= 2 * iDifficulty;
    iExperience /= 100;

if (iExperience < 100)
    {
        return false;
    }

iExperience /= 100;

changeExperience(iExperience);
    testPromotionReady();

GET_PLAYER(getOwner()).changeEspionageExperience(iExperience);

return true;
}

I downloaded the "Development version" from Github directly through a ZIP file, how can I access this new map, at least in the World builder, and thus eventually send suggestions for the development of the Mod?

If you want to access the new map, you need to have access to the map branch. If you downloaded a zip from Github, you downloaded the main branch. You need to either use tortoise git access the map (and all other) branch. See this post for instructions how to use tortoise git. Alternatively, you can download the zip from here. This is the same method as you already did, but this link takes you to the map branch.

Do note that the branch is NOT playable. The RFC specific map mechanics have been updated to the new map. These things will either not work or work improperly because the code still assumes the old map.

Last edited:
Thanks. Now I would like to know how I can do to view the resources that appear on dates ahead, such as coffee in Brazil or sugar in Hawaii.

There is no option to do that ingame. You can find the spawning resources in Resources.py (Assets/Python folder)

Do note that this list is not quite accurate at the moment. There has been only 1 commit (and this one was 11 months ago) since the map development branch has started and the changes in this commit were basically changing the coordinates of the spawning resources so they spawn in roughly the corresponding area on the new map. No spawning resource suggestions have been implemented after this commit and it is possible that the new coordinates already have a resource because the map has changed since the commit.

Not exactly sure if this is what you are looking for? But its sometimes necessary to be able to cancel and open border with an Independant civ. Note that your units normally don't get pushed out of their border when declaring war. So you can place then right next to the city you want to attack.
Go to "BUG Mod Options" and the "Scoreboard" tab. Enable "Show Minor Civilization". This will show the Independants in the bottom right scoreboard as well.
Now you can hold Alt and left click any Independant to declare war.

Quick question, does anyone know why, as Germany, in 1100AD, I had France (also who had vassalized Spain), Vikings, Poland, and Moscow all declare war on me at once?

Im in the middle of being Frederick II, on a crusade, when they did this!

I thought maybe it might be regarding taking Rome, but why would moscow declare war then?

Top Bottom