Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Looking through the World Builder I found out that it's possible to enable Permanent Alliances. I used this feature to enable sort of a "European Union" in late game. I didn't have enough time to test it out, but I was wondering if anyone has answers for some questions this raised: How does stability behave once Permanent Alliances are enabled? What about respawns and collapses, do they break/resume the alliance? And how does the fact that civs have different tech costs translate into Permanent Alliances (since normally the tech cost and beakers are shared in a pretty simple manner)?

I do not recommend enabling permanent alliances. It is likely to cause multiple problems due to how the code is setup. This option should probably be removed from worldbuilder.

I'm playing a Marathon game as Moors, and I'm unable to declare war on Portugal for what seems like a long time after they spawn. I failed the UHV because of it and was only able to DOW in 1205. I had no active deals with them. Am I missing something?
I was able to DOW on Spain the turn after they spawned without issue but am unable to do so with Portugal. Mousing over the civ name shows their relationship modifiers and then "Cannot declare war!" listed at the bottom.

Declarations of war are blocked for a number of turns after spawn of the target civ, but 1205 seems a bit late. It's possible something went wrong here, I have made a note.

Cool. I wasn't counting the exact number of turns that had gone by since their spawn. I figured there might be some sort of spawn protection but if so it didn't make sense that I could fight Spain right away. Rules only become a frustration when they're applied inconsistently.

Thanks for all the word you've put in on the mod :thumbsup:

Sure, thanks for playing!

I agree about the inconsistency. However as of now I am unable to say what the issue is. You should have been prevented from declaring on Spain as well.

If it helps you locate the issue: I was playing the 3000BC start on Marathon speed and Regent difficulty, and had Moors selected from the start. There were no cities that were going to flip to Spain, and I went to war right after I got the popup asking if I wanted to switch to the new Spanish civ.

Seemingly randomly, the steel industry left all my cities in one turn. I didn't change civics, the only notable change within my empire is that I had just discovered Representation. Anyone know what happened here?

Attachments

• Screenshot (138).png
    Screenshot (138).png
    283.8 KB · Views: 56
No, do you have the previous autosave still? The only thing I can think of is someone else discovering a tech or adopting Free Enterprise and attracting the Steel Industry over you. The number of global corporations is limited. Still, all of them at ones seems like a bit much.

What kind of update are you waiting for?

I am currently not working on bugs. They should be quick to deal with once I am though.

About Ethiopians, i'm playing several games and this is my experience:
1) Conversion to Ortodoxy 5 turns after it is founded, is uneasy and unfunny.
I tryed to trace routes to Mediterranean sea, and build an harbor in capital, but uselessy. There is no way to make that event possible or more probable.
It seems totally random. It is also totally out of any prospective to research Ethics in time to self-fund that religion.

2) With the new UU, it is very esay to enslave all those native imps, but then?
They are totally useless: i cannot use them to add in a city, i cannot use them to make a slave plantation, in cannot sell them until european civs get colonization, but my UHV deadline is 1500AD. Maybe we can find an UP for Ethiopians to use those slaves in any way in next release of DoC.

About Ethiopians, i'm playing several games and this is my experience:
1) Conversion to Ortodoxy 5 turns after it is funded, is uneasy and unfunny.
I tryed to trace routes to Mediterranean sea, and build an harbor in capital, but uselessy. There is no way to make that event possible or more probable.
It seems totally random. It is also totally out of any prospective to research Ethics in time to self-fund that religion.

2) With the new UU, it is very esay to enslave all those native imps, but then?
They are totally useless: i cannot use them to add in a city, i cannot use them to make a slave plantation, in cannot sell them until european civs get colonization, but my UHV deadline is 1500AD. Maybe we can find an UP for Ethiopians to use those slaves in any way in next release of DoC.
I feel the same way about the second UHV. The first one isn't that hard, especially because 60% of the time the Holy city for Orthodoxy is in Egypt, and by the time Egypt is either very weak and ready to collapse or it is already collapsed and/or under Roman rule. So just conquer the Holy city. Also Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Protestantism spread incredibly fast. Usually on the 2nd turn after Orthodoxy is founded all the Mediterranean cities get that religion.
About the second UHV I think that Slaves should have a bit more power. Egypt for example used Slaves to built the Pyramids so I think slaves should be more like in RFC Classical World. By that I mean they should be able to contribute to production with lets say 20 or 15:hammers: and should be able to join any city they want. Not just colonies.

The slave unit in the game is meant to represent the Atlantic slave trade, for other historical forms of slave labour please adopt the Slavery civic.

Top Bottom