DayZ

I've only heard good things about it. I might not remember, but it seems like DayZ has gotten way more coverage that the vanilla game did.

It was fun for a couple of weeks, but there really isn't much to do and suffers from the sandbox problem of no real goals. The survival aspect itself is pretty limited and there is plenty of food and water available (plus you'll likely die and respawn often enough anyway). There isn't much of a focus on hunting zombies either, sure that is an activity but it has been sidelined by a giant PVP fest. The PVPers and griefers have also pretty much dominated the forums for weeks now and anyone who tries to encourage or organize more cooperative gameplay is shouted down, flamed and ridiculed for being a "carebear" so the community has kind of gone downhill pretty quickly.

I don't recommend it if you are looking for a game about cooperatively surviving a zombie apocalypse, don't have a good group of people with microphones to play it with, or are afraid of not being able to see more than 5 feet in front of you at night (they level of darkness is kind of ******ed).

At least it has greatly increased sales of ARMA II.

Being a bandit is the best part, Maniacal.

More people should play ARMA 2, just because it an amazing military game.

I remember that the last Red Dead game suffered from a huge amount of griefers too.

But I'm seeing the rumor floating around that the mod might be made into a stand alone product and be F2P.

Afaik that is just a rumour, it is quite likely going to be a game mode for ARMA 3 though,

Yeah, that's what I get for paying attention to Kotaku, I know your opinion on them already :p

I like the idea behind it. I was flabbergasted by the 22km2 size of the game when I first read that. I knew next to nothing about the Arma series until DayZ showed up.

It took me a week to rack up more time in DayZ than I did in a month on Skyrim. Civilization V has beat that record, but it's yet to catch up to my DayZ time. This game is scary and suspenseful and thrilling and very, very fun. The best moments for me are when you acquire vehicles. I have had many good experiences with vehicles.

Installing it has caused much frustration for many people, so I'll post some instructions here that have gotten me into the game reliably since I first got it:
First launch Arma 2, then launch Operation Arrowhead, then install DayZ by extracting the files from here into a new folder at @DayZ\addons in the main Operation Arrowhead folder, then install the latest beta (94444), then paste the arma2oa.exe file from Expansion\beta into the main folder to replace the old one, then right click on Operation Arrowhead in Steam, go to properties, and in "Set Launch Options" type "-beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -mod=@dayz".

Some new videos got posted at RPS about DayZ. Only partway through the first one, but the guy talks about making a standalone game following the Minecraft pricing model. If this ever goes stand alone, I'll definitely consider getting it.

I think I'm just attracted to the large map and sandbox gameplay. I've been aching for a good MMOFPS or large scale tactical multiplayer games.

Being poor sucks. I really wish I had a computer that could play these newer games.

Link to video.

EDIT: Man, the long YouTube url's are getting tougher to decipher. I don't remember them using # and ! before.

It's good to hear that end-game content is getting focused on. Giving players things to do (building forts and buildings, etc) besides PvP sounds like a good idea, :p

I only heard about it from Yogscast.

I've only heard good things about it. I might not remember, but it seems like DayZ has gotten way more coverage that the vanilla game did.

It seems like DayZ is selling more copies of Arma2 than Arma2 itself ever did...

Are there any other games out there where a mod(s) was more popular than the basic game?

It seems like DayZ is selling more copies of Arma2 than Arma2 itself ever did...

Are there any other games out there where a mod(s) was more popular than the basic game?

Garry's Mod maybe? I think Counter Strike began as a mod as well.

Team Fortress began its life as a mod.

Top Bottom