Dear Firaxis; fix ideologies they are broken.

It seems odd. I hardly ever have any problems on Deity with Ideological Pressure. Usually you get to Ideology first and that basically means you can build the Eiffel Tower which will give you plenty of time without pressure. I also usually make my Ideology World Ideology helping very much as well. The one recent game I went Freedom when the rest of the world went Order I had -32 Revolutionary Wave and only -10 happy which I could of easily got out of the unhappy but I decided to switch to order bringing me to +25 happy. I did lose that game by one turn but it was because I was experimenting with Freedom and I decided not to war with my very large Army and all the Military CS's next to me that had huge Armies that I had control of (Monty was Afraid begging me not to attack and I did not even have Nukes up yet!). I really played dumb where I went warmonger right from the start and I figured I could just turtle and win and I never got the war going but I should of cause I would of taken over my Cont very fast. Lesson learned but like I said before I hardly have any problem with Ideological Pressure. A couple of games ago I played with -32 Revolutionary Wave but my happy was something like +20 the whole game and I never had a problem and finished that game with a win on Deity as well. I am not sure what you are doing to get this problem but for my games Ideology is not Broken and seems to be working the way it is supposed to. All of my games are on stand/stand settings.

When I am warmongering and get into this happy problem I either Raze or Sell the cities that do not matter and that seems to fix any happy problem.

Is there a mod to just turn ideologies off?

OP, why not go back to GnK? I think that is reasonably straightforward (not that I have tried it) even after installing BWN. If I didn't miss Ideologies (which I would), I would miss the news civs and more rational promotions and upgrade path for some units. I don’t think one could mod BNW to just turn off ideologies. I would guess that some enterprising folks have looked into adding BNW civs to GnK.

It just makes no sense to me and seems buggy.

It's not bugged. It's entirely dependent on your tourism influence on other cultures and their tourism influence on yours. You can even look at the exact breakdown on the culture screen if you want to see the stats.

Last game on Emperor, I went tall and wide (take over my entire continent with 10 mega cities). Got hit with a -42 happiness eventually, though no civilization is above exotic to me.

Unhappiness from ideology is depend on your total population, so if you went tall and wide, tourism is going to really hurt you.

Also, the unhappiness compounded by the fact there there are multiple nation of different ideology other then your own. In other words, multiple nations who has some kind of tourism influence over you will exacerbate the happiness problem.

Finally, you need to defend yourself with your own tourism. Your cultural influence over the other civilizations of different ideology can cancel the unhappiness generated to your civilization.

There is an easy way out though, I forced through a world ideology vote through World Congress. Being the world ideology increases the influence of the chosen ideology by two levels. This completely negated my unhappiness problem. I went from unhappy to 24 happiness once the vote get passed through.

Be-warned though, there were two DOW on me immediately after the vote. But I didn't really care, I had my continent to my own and the AI is terrible at naval warfare =).

It's not broken ... you have to get your tourism up, it's way too low.

Is there a mod to just turn ideologies off? Clearly they make no sense. Just had another game as Arabia that was going good until bloop game suddenly decides my ideology isn't the right one.

When choosing your ideology you have to choose it based on your culture and tourism vs the worlds culture and tourism. You have to count things up! :scan:

If you're influential enough you could try to get everyone, or mostly everyone, on your side in the world congress and pass a world ideology motion.

And, sometimes... you simply have to follow the world leader... or else, you just end up with revolutionary waves and anarchy.

Anyways, you should read up on ideologies/tourism and culture.

What's kind of weird is:

1. America and Germany going Order every, single, game

Actually, the Washington in my game is an autocrat. He's spread pretty wide despite at least 3 other Order civs, myself included.

You can hover the cursor over the "-25" in the ideology screen and it will break down how many torches/swords/hammers there are over your ideology.

Top Bottom