Debug Mode? Error Messages?

Paasky

Good News Everyone!
How can I get civ to give me actual error messages instead of just deciding to crash? It's getting very annoying to just have a map crash on loading without any idea what's doing it, especially since it only does it sometimes. It also keeps crashing ingame. I don't think it can be too many graphics, cause the map is only 80x80 and my computer can handle modern-era huge maps just fine.

First, nice Futurama reference...

Second, in game config file (something like documents/my games/civilization 5/config.ini) there should be something about 'enable logging', I think switching the value from 0 to 1 should get you logs, haven't tested this though, just a thought. What is the problem you are epxeriencing? Is it a mod you are working on? Modbuddy has debugging and error messaging inbuilt into it in the view menu, and displays very clearly what is going wrong if you are indeed working on a mod.

Lastly, it is probably IS a graphics clitch if you are just getting random crashes. It is irrelevant what size map you can handle etc, that is performance, not stability/compatibility. Make sure your drivers are up to date (yawn, doesn't everyone say that?) and try running in either DX9 or 11 (trying both.) If not you can run the debug in game (by going to the config and switching debugenable from 0 to 1) and disabled/enable various things in game to troubleshoot by hitting the ` key (I think it is called tilda.)

Anyway hope that helps

I had a ton a graphics problems in civ4, so I wrote a checker to find missing graphics references. It was essential! Later, DavidAllen wrote one too that did some additional checking.

This time I'd do it different though. Using Lua and SQL queries something really robust could be created. Unfortunately I don't know either yet so am hoping some else has the skills to get this done. It would have to be run last in your list of files, and so prior to any CTDs from missing graphics.

Not the answer you want now, but that is the problem with being early :/

My config.ini:

[Debugging]

; Set remark levels (ex. /R0 /R1:Video - means all off except video level 1) (default "/R1"
Remarks = /R0

; Set remark log filename; empty for no remark log
RemarkLog = remarklog.log

; Sets a breakpoint on a specified object allocation order number (debug only).
CrtBreakAllocNum = 0

; Set to 1 to enable mem tracking when using a mem tracker build
EnableMemTrackerSystem = 1

; Set to 1 to do various embedded memory tracker dumps
DoMemTrackerDumps = 1

; Set to 1 to disable hotloading of objects
DisableHotLoading = 0

; Set to 1 to enable asserts in debug mode
EnableAsserts = 1

; Set to 1 to have loose files override PAK files if the loose file is newer
LooseFilesOverridePAK = 0

; Set to 1 to quiet D3D warning and leak msgs
D3D Mute = 0

; Sub-directory where the game code DLL resides, set to empty string to let the game decide
GameCoreSubDirectory =

; Set to 1 to enable the fire tuner to connect to the game.
EnableTuner = 1

; Set to 1 to send FRemark output to the tuner
SendRemarksToTuner = 1

This give me jack-diddly-squat even in FireTuner. The log files it creates are made while loading the main game, not the mod.

I may sound slightly pissed, but it's more frustration. I've put many many hours into my map and the xml and it's very disheartening to have it just fail without knowing why.

No problem, I hear that :)

It can be very frustrating. Can you describe what exactly is happening and when though? All I know is you are occasionally getting a crash. Also if you upload your file I'll take a look at it, and test it myself - even if I can't fix it, we can identify if it is a problem with your system perhaps bugging with the mod or if it is something entirely wrong with the mod. Just attach it on your next post.

Top Bottom