Debugging Crashes

BlossomPone

Chieftain
There are some types of bugs that I am not really sure how to debug. While there could be errors in the database calls, or in lua code, there are some bugs that are not the result of lua bugs or database syntax. These can cause the game to completely crash to desktop, and sadly, it does not appear as though these types of issues leave any sort of crash log that is readable, nothing in the lua.log, or anything else that I have been able to find.

Debugging these issues is frustrating, and amounts mainly to guessing and testing to see if you crashed it or not :\

Am i missing something, or is there another way that I could figure out what exactly is the issue here?

You can try to make sense of the minidump in the BE program folder, though that's not a skill I've acquired.

There's always adding more debug print statements to your Lua.

You might take a look at adding something like strict.lua to your mod, at least temporarily, to help find some edge cases that may be causing issues.

It's actually not lua code (though re-reading my initial post, i can see the confusion there) that is causing issue for me, but rather SQL. Not sure if you've seen any of my other posts, but I am attempting to create a total conversion mod, removing technologies, units, buildings, civilizations, quests, virtues, victories, cargo, etc.

Many times when i remove things that the game expects to be there, it can turn into a witch hunt trying to figure out what is causing it to crash, so i can figure out just how to work around it :S

It's actually not lua code (though re-reading my initial post, i can see the confusion there) that is causing issue for me, but rather SQL. Not sure if you've seen any of my other posts, but I am attempting to create a total conversion mod, removing technologies, units, buildings, civilizations, quests, virtues, victories, cargo, etc.

Many times when i remove things that the game expects to be there, it can turn into a witch hunt trying to figure out what is causing it to crash, so i can figure out just how to work around it :S

Yes many things just can't be deleted from the data base. Just unlinked them( to nothing).
Just try to delete the least possible :D

Top Bottom