1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity University - Justinian

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by kossin, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Bugg123

Bugg123 Prince

T50:

Spoiler :

Not a whole lot happening, really. Trying to reach for something here and block off a lot of land.

Setteled in Place. Scouted West, then southeast.

Tech was : Agri - Hu - AH (because I wanted to improve pigs for my 2nd site) - Mining - Fishing (should've been the other way around) - BW (to whip heavily in Pigs+Corn+Fish).

The advantage of imperialistic here would be that you can 2 pop whip settlers. So I'll try for some hefty quick expansion. Could end up killing my economy, though. Settling cities in the numbered order unless something happens :)
    EDIT: The first screenshot is obv not accurate :) Settler is ready to settle this turn 1 NE of the marked location :)

Have met all but 1 AI. I seem to run into Toku, Mansa and Wang Kon a lot lately. Probably going for a happy Toku here again, gifting a city, somehow.

Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Lynxx

Lynxx Chieftain

:D... I have not beaten deity yet. The reason is simple. I play as restless and unconcetrated as I read through posts on this forum :p...

Hopefully this deity univesity can change both... will get a buffy save up WITH all the techs fro the barbs later tonight I hope.

3. Lynxx

Lynxx Chieftain

This is getting more and more ridiculous. In the save I have on my computer the babarians have all the techs, on the one I uploaded they do not! No idea how that happened.

I feel obliged to atleast provide a correct save now that I am sure I have got one ( I have double checked. The save I now upload really do have the techs for the barbarians in it, if it does not work, then I blame BUFFY!!)

Attached Files:

4. ilovekonoka

ilovekonoka Chieftain

Spoiler :

Thanks for your comments =)

No I didn't whip the settler, I whipped an archer for urgent defense.

The 2W 1N spot you mentioned is better for sure, but I was afraid I couldn't get a border pop soon enough to completely block him. Probably a mistake.

5. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

Heres my start:

Spoiler :

Obvious in place settle due to the amount of hammers. Ag - Hunting - AH then decided to grab the oracle for code of laws. 2 warriors spawn busting meant I only saw a barbarian worker building a road past my hill. Boxed in by barbs Japan and Korea. 5 turn settlers means I'll gift both Korea and Japan a city so I'm protected. I probably have to go for a cultural victory since I'm likely going to found 3 religions. But we do have a monster HE capital and early happy means some good whipping in the other city.

6. Sleepless

Sleepless Deity

- 2000BC

Spoiler :

Had some pre knowledge of this map having tried to get the initial techs on the barbs (especially liked all the barb holy cities :lol:) right but tried to do most of what I had done previously. ;).

Settled on the plains ivory 1W. Had to think about this as there was a very high possibility of something in the grassland tile 2w. But moved for the extra hammer and hoped for more food although finding the gems were nice as well. :)

Tech path, Agr, Min, Hunt. I had decided to go for the GLh in the first game so might have gone fishing/sailing/mas instead of BW/AH this time :). Settled my second city on the plains hill SE of the corn. First build Lighthouse then aiming for GLh in this city with plenty of forest chops to help build it. Next tech was AH already have a settler for a blocking site to the East which will be settled as soon as I finish roading to it. Then it will be BW, Pot, Writing and on to Aesth.

Current known world. Will no more when I get a chariot out looking. After I hook up the horses that is. :)

Attached Files:

7. Udey1

Udey1 Prince

Sorry I'm Late.
    First 50
    Spoiler :

Settle 1E. it is not a question to me that an extra hammer now is best. GEMS
    Research AG>Mining(gems) Hunting>AH>BW>Fishing>Sailing>Masonry...

3600 meet WK scout northwest.
    3480 meet mansu from south.
    3360 meet buddhist ghandi
    3280 meet toku -espionage instantly focused on toku
    2600 found thessilonica. Capital began pumping at Population 3 because of poor food.
    2160 ardianople founded above horses.

Thessilonica is better than my capitol and has 3 power food sources. I will attempt GLH here because I must be in the middle of all these AIs and I am surrounded by coast.

I have a super warrior in thessilonica saving me from barbarians. but seeing everyone around I won't have to worry long.

I have to start exploring quickly. Gems sure are giving me a nice catapult in this game.:goodjob:

Attached Files:

8. Grashopa

Grashopa Emperor

Udey et al
    Spoiler :

Even with the gems in place is a much better capital. You give up 7 hammers a turn for the rest of the game to gain 1 hammer advantage for the first ~30 turns. There is 23+ hammers in the capital in place. This is ridiculously good. Get the HE in and the game is over in medieval times. You can always pick up the gems with a second city the difference being simply what 20 turns on the gems? With the lost hammers lasting the whole game and taking away the strong HE city.

You give up a good chance for the GLh by settling in place, but why settle a bunch of crap coastal cities when there are AI capitals near by?

9. Udey1

Udey1 Prince

@Grashopa,

Spoiler :

I just love the gems because of the last university this forum struggled through with a terrible commerce capitol.

I hope we see a good head bashing in your save. Some of us thought different. For me, I don't like Middle-age war in this version.

Have fun with the UU.

10. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

To people who build or trying to build oracle.
    Spoiler :
    I do not know how you intend to pull it off or pull it off.
    In my game oracle was gone 2040BC

11. Sleepless

Sleepless Deity

@grashopa

Spoiler :

The gems to me make a big difference early on and helps you speed through the early techs. Without it I would never have managed to make an attempt on the GLh as most if not all of our early cities would be coastal from what I can see.

Don't discount the extra hammer in the city square as well. 3 turns earlier for your first worker. That plus the 1f you save by not having to work the plains ivory and gain an extra grassland (original square) to help feed the capital.

I'm definitely not planning a medieval war (prob cannon/draft musket - WK as first target) but looking foward to seeing how you do. Especially with both or neighbours protective. Enough siege usually negates that though. :)

12. dingding

dingding Prince

@ Mutineer:
    Spoiler :

There is a special AI mechanism about wonders. In the consideration of building a wonder, AI will check if anyone else is building it (yes, it knows because it cheats). If yes, it will put the wonder on a less priority.

So if you start building the Oracle earlier, you'll have less chance to see an Oracle finished at 2040BC. Anyway, it depends largely on RNG as well.

13. Sleepless

Sleepless Deity

@dingding

Spoiler :

Good to know about the above. So it could be worth putting a turn into a wonder putting it on the back burner whilst you build something else then go back to the wonder.

Had to play on in my game to see if i got the GLh (and even further) :) So perhaps other civs who thought about building it didn't bother because I was. That means Grashopa has a chance at getting the Oracle as well.

It went in my game before you managed to build it as well.

14. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Deity

15. Sleepless

Sleepless Deity

@ KingMorgan

Spoiler :

Bad luck with the barb city. I had to restart this game twice because of silly mistakes by me in the world builder. One of the reasons I settled on the ph for my second city was the second time I had a barb city form there very early as well. Full of warriors though :)

Anyone know the reason for this as it does seem very early even for deity?

16. Duckweed

Duckweed Deity

Spoiler :

To anyone don't have better units than warriors, any reason that you don't need to worry about barbarians, especially from southern area.

17. Sleepless

Sleepless Deity

@Duckweed

Spoiler :

With the amount of AI units running around and a bit of fogbusting I wasn't worried about barbs entering my borders. Tbh as well I'm usually quite happy having warriors as city defenders early on. Different if we had a continual stream of them but with only one direction and that being a thin strip of land. I wasn't to worried. In a few turns I would have chariots/emergency warrior whips as well.

18. Udey1

Udey1 Prince

@Duckweed

Spoiler :

Mansa and Charly seem to be down there. In my game I kept spotting skirmishers all over there. I have horse and can bust out a chariot long before it would be an issue.

19. Etheric

Etheric Warlord

Hmm I hate the barbarians on Deity. Played 1 turn extra by mistake.

Spoiler :

I think I could have done this one better, and the barb city right next to mine is not a help, was going to settle the nice pigs, corn, fish site, but bad idea now, until I get IW (hopefully some iron)

Settled the cow site in the hope of blocking off the continent. Not a great city site, but will seal it. Will settle the gems etc next I guess.

Attached Files:

20. Duckweed

Duckweed Deity

@Sleepless & Udey1

Spoiler :

Those are all good reasons. However, I still think it's risky without archers or better units. If the RNG is not favorable, you could see a number of archers and warriors heading to your culture border by turn 50. It's more risky if you can only produce warrior and 2nd city on a flat tile.

My opening usually cares more about safety.

Spoiler :

Attached Files: