Deity Warmongers

Nitfan

Warlord
This will be my first succession game and post but I've been lurking on the board for a long time. Everytime I play emperor I basically pound the AI in any circumstances. I've had trouble consistantly winning on Demi-God or Deity without 3 cattle in my capital radius, and my biggest problem is being able to wage early wars successfully while not falling behind in tech. I seem to be able to only do one successfully. So I'd like a roster of five emp-deity level players who want to improve their game or do some teaching. Here's what I'd like to play..

Map: Large, continents temperate, wet, 70% water
Barbarians: Roaming
Level: Deity
Victory Type: Conquest
Civ: Preferably militaristic but up for debate (I need to learn to play these civs better)

Let me know if you're interested, and we'll start picking a civ and I'll roll 5 starts.

Standard rules from GOTM and 24/72 playing rules, C3C only.

I've never played a Deity level game, but I'm now winning about 50% or more of my Emporer level games. Count me in.

If you are thinking of a warmongering game, how about we play never pay tribute if the AI asks for it?

I'd like to play, but I will be out 24 Dec-11 Jan. I am confident on Deity, but could not *win* Sid yet. I never go to war early on Deity, try to postpone it to Republic time. Therefore,
we never pay tribute if the AI asks for it
looks too tough for me. Any militaristic Civ OK. Germany most difficult, but I like it more.

How about we try a compromise on this one. Not paying tribute on Deity you might as well be playing AW, so once we're in Republic there will be no tribute allowed. That gives us enough time to get our feet under us and determine who are friends/enemies will be. I would like to put the restriction in that we must declare war on a neighbor in the MA (and hopefully take them over by the end of it).

What are everyone's thoughts on any wonder building? I don't have a preference either way. Input from experienced Deity players is welcome.

I was originally thinking China, but I like Germany as well so let's figure out what our goals will be here...

I would like to see us be competitive in the Medieval Era, I'm tired of just lingering around hoping to sneak ToE and take over in the IA. I think Germany might be a better choice because it won't give us the rider, and therefore be better training for playing all civs. If we make it to panzers, good for us, too bad for the AI ;) . I'm going to put my vote in for Germany as of now.

Glenmetz I'll count you in, Larkin if we don't fill a roster by Jan. 11 you got a spot if you want it. I'm hoping to get started asap though.

I might be convinced to play. Some thoughts first:

1. No tribute = suicide at Deity

2. You are going to fall behind in tech on Deity. The key is to climb out of the hole.

3. You probably are not going to even be able to get close to making a dent on a AA AI civ in a war. Their production bonuses are just too much to overcome early in the game. Plan on a MA war against the weakest nearby AI.

4. Don't even think about trying for a wonder at Deity. All you are going to do is eat a lot of shields. Capture the wonders you need. For example, capturing the Great Library when the AI are in the IA is an amazing tactic (See the Sid Vicious game for a good example)

5. Civs - Don't even consider a Civ that has a AA UU. It will be worthwhile for about three turns and then it will be obsolete. You probably want to have an offensive UU. Swiss mercs are nice, but you aren't going to capture many cities with them. My personnel favorites are the cav replacements -- Cossacks and Sipahi. Yeah, Russia is a hard civ to win with , but the cossack is nice. The rider is also great but figure it will be going up against cavs. Plus the detour to chivalry isn't the best way to get to the IA.

Put me on the maybe list of players.

I thought about signing up when I first read this but the "no tribute" thing really put me off. If you're willing to put it aside and just play a normal deity game I'd be happy to join.

I've played the game since it came out (and played Civ 1 a lot in the early 90s) but I very rarely play anything higher than emperor as I hate losing ;) AWM games are my new favourite type of games and they have improved my warmongering skills a great deal.

As for a civ - Germany has nice traits but the UU comes way late. China has excellent traits for warmongering purposes but I agree with Sir Bugsy that its UU might be facing cavalry and such when we'd get it out. My #1 choice would be the Ottomans as it's a fantastic combo of traits and UU and it's been a long time since I last played them. Not too keen on Russia as I'm just playing them in another game.

What kind of start were you planning? The first roll, however bad? The first decent looking? The first good one? The first x starts which we could choose from?

I seem to be able to only do one successfully.

On Deity that's what you should do, go one way or the other not a bit of both. Go science if you can be the broker, if you are already behind go and be the "breaker".

Am in 3 games already but if you find yourself 1 member short you can PM me.

I don't care if it goes no tribute or not. It's not my game.

In terms or wonders, if we get lucky and settle near Ivory, build the SoZ.

My only problem with Germany is the last GA if you can't get one due to Wonders. I agree with bugsy, the UUs that replace Cavs are nice.

After thinking about some of the suggestions brought up I think this is how we'll play. My main purpose for wanting some experienced players that play more aggressive is that I'm usually way too complacent with AI demands. However, the purpose of this is how to win the game on deity military style so the only stipulation we're going to put on this is that we have to win :D . If we have pay to tribute to do that then oh well we'll just laugh when we start razing their cities.

This is the batting order we have so far...

1. Glenmetz
2. NitFan

Possibles

1. Larkin
2. Bugsy
3. Salarakas
4. Nerovats

As soon as we get 5 players we'll decide on the civ and I'll roll five starts for it. I'm very flexible in how we do this so if you have suggestions let them fly.

Let's try to narrow this down some though or we'll just be throwing suggestions around for awhile.

1. Ottomans
2. Germany
3. China
4. Russia
5. Up for suggestions

As far as the SoZ everytime I've tried to build it the AI does first and they don't upgrade which really is a drawback. Any thoughts on that? I think I agree with bugsy we might as well just capture anything we need:goodjob: .

From teh civs you mention I'd pick china. It has the earliest UU and will thus let you get an early GA, which will help during early war, altough I don't think a Midieval-war is early.

1. No tribute = suicide at Deity

2. You are going to fall behind in tech on Deity. The key is to climb out of the hole.

3. You probably are not going to even be able to get close to making a dent on a AA AI civ in a war. Their production bonuses are just too much to overcome early in the game. Plan on a MA war against the weakest nearby AI.

4. Don't even think about trying for a wonder at Deity. All you are going to do is eat a lot of shields. Capture the wonders you need. For example, capturing the Great Library when the AI are in the IA is an amazing tactic (See the Sid Vicious game for a good example)

5. Civs - Don't even consider a Civ that has a AA UU. It will be worthwhile for about three turns and then it will be obsolete. You probably want to have an offensive UU. Swiss mercs are nice, but you aren't going to capture many cities with them. My personnel favorites are the cav replacements -- Cossacks and Sipahi. Yeah, Russia is a hard civ to win with , but the cossack is nice. The rider is also great but figure it will be going up against cavs. Plus the detour to chivalry isn't the best way to get to the IA.
Just for discussion...
1. I'd not put things that strong. Sombody try Sid this mode and survive. But it is 50% chanse to loose may be.
2. Well, if sling will work (Just Phylo + MM, say) it is OK. Than early libs keep Tech parity. Even without sling "borrow money" tacktics and research Literature, say, may give parity at Sci Civ.
3. Good point. I also use "Dog pit" for strongest remote AI. It make close AIs friendly to me.
4. Sometimes GLIB or Lighthouse with prebuild or SoZ (Ivory monopoly) may work. But general rule "not to build GW" is OK.
5. AA UU is good sometimes. But I think optimal is Knight's replacement.

Everytime I've tried to go with a builder strategy and get the great library some obnoxious AI neighbor will always demand literature. I've been able to get the GL by refusing to give away lit, but then half my empire got mowed down before I could sue for peace.

I'd like to give a go at pointy stick research with this game so the GL is one I think we should bypass. I'm thinking about adding Japan to round out the 5civs to choose from. I haven't played them more than once or twice, any comments on them?

Hopefully some of the people on the fence are getting itchy to play and upgrade to definites soon:goodjob: .

Samurai just have 1 more defensive point, which I think is not that usefull. They also don't need horses which might help if there are none. Strongest knight replacement would be the war elephant, requires no resources and acts like a 5.4.2 unit because of the extra HP, but india is not militaristic.

I agree those jumbos are quite nice. I've played India quite a bit before but usually played them as a builder civ which is kind of weird since they do have a good UU for it.

I was one of those players that took way too long to realize that bumping off your neighbor and taking all his land/resources early in the game is the way to do it.

I had said I would prefer a militaristic civ just because I don't usually play them but we already have ottomans on the list so I have no problem adding India or another civ. Whatever the team decides(when we finally fill it out) is fine with me, you can warmonger with 'em all.

lurker's comment: I'm not sure I have the time for this right now but I would concur with a lot of what's been said here. I'm playing a deity small pangea right now as Ottos without any bonus food tiles around the capital, only two native luxs, no iron or salt. I'm just getting to the point where I'll be getting pointy stick MT for free, will turn off research and buy salt for that final push.

If you want a tough warmongering game I suggest playing a pangea map. You'll get all the fighting you want.

-not signing in.. but lurkin away.. :goodluck:

Top Bottom