Democracy Daily

Recently I had a chance to sit down and talk with our President, Greyfox.

[Thursday 03:38:14] <Hi_2k> Name, Rank, Age:
[Thursday 03:38:41] <theGreyFox> Fredrik Henriksson, 20 (tomorrow, 5th April)
[Thursday 03:40:18] <theGreyFox> ahh, I play Emperor with no problem, and I have started some Deity games
[Thursday 03:40:29] <Hi_2k> How long have you been playing Civilization? Computer games in general?
[Thursday 03:42:43] <theGreyFox> I got my first computer 1998, but I had been using and playing on computers before that. And I have been a Video-game player since I was 7, starting with NES
[Thursday 03:43:31] <theGreyFox> I Have never played Civilization 2 before Civ3, but one or two Civilization games, and many SMAC games...
[Thursday 03:43:33] <Hi_2k> Any hobbies? Special achievements?
[Thursday 03:45:31] <theGreyFox> I like to create stuff with my computer, like MOD's, graphics (3D images, Wallpapers etc...), programs, Homepages, etc...
[Thursday 03:45:45] <theGreyFox> Special Achievements... let's see...
[Thursday 03:46:33] <theGreyFox> Nothing special really...
[Thursday 03:46:37] <Hi_2k> Did you ever play Civ2? Civ?
[Thursday 03:47:29] <theGreyFox> I tried em sometimes at freinds, but I never bought em myself as Ididn't have a Computer... I did borrow SMAC from a friend though...
[Thursday 03:49:16] <Hi_2k> What are your favorite wonders?
[Thursday 03:52:14] <theGreyFox> The Great Library and Hoover Dam are my favorites overall. Sun Tzu's Art of War is my favorite in the Middle Ages (and I try to get Sistine too if I can), I like J.S. Bachs and Hanging Gardens if I'm playing for score. My favorite amongst the Modern Age Wonders is the Longevity and after that the Cure for Cancer...
[Thursday 03:52:37] <theGreyFox> I like to build the Theory of Evolution also, to get the Hoover Dam.
[Thursday 03:52:42] <Hi_2k> fair enough
[Thursday 03:52:49] <Hi_2k> Any favorite civilizations to play?
[Thursday 03:56:57] <theGreyFox> The Chinese (as I love Industrious) is an overall favorite if I think I will be conquering a lot of land in the Middle Ages. The Babylonians are fun to play if I will play peacefully during the most parts of the game. The Americans are starting to become a favorite, when playing a Huge Pangea map, but I don't like their UU. The Iroquois is a favorite too if I intend to war a lot with Horses.
[Thursday 03:57:26] <Hi_2k> What do you think of the choice to play Persians?
[Thursday 03:59:18] <theGreyFox> I like the Persians too. Industrious is my favorite trait. And their UU is the best in the Age. It can even be useful during the start of the Middle Age. I thank my people that they choose them, so I can finally play out a game with them.
[Thursday 03:59:36] <Hi_2k> What do you think of expansion? I know you favor a dense building strategy, why is that? What do you consider to be the pluses and minuses of your building strategy?
[Thursday 04:07:14] <theGreyFox> I have recently started to favor dense building. I like to expand fast and then build some cities within my territory. I like the dense building because I think that large cities aren't useful in the game, It is better with many 12 size (and some of the core cities larger) cities instead. Then you don't have to build hospitals, the pollution is lower because one of the reasons are Population. With many cities you get a larger bonus with the Hoover Dam. One 20 City might get over 120 or so with Factory+Plant, when a 12 Size city can get 70 or more. And that is enough. And you will be able to build units faster because of it. It will also be easier to get the people happier, which is important when playing for score and the bonus with WLTK-day is equal to the Courthouse. The minuses are that you have to build more cities.
[Thursday 04:07:54] <Hi_2k> What do you think is the most useful offensive unit (remember that later units are not always better because of shield cost, time they come into play)? Most useful defensive unit? Favorite unit overall?
[Thursday 04:08:05] <theGreyFox> A 12 size city can even reach 100 shields in output.
[Thursday 04:13:51] <theGreyFox> The most useful offensive unit, hmm... that must be the "Iroquois Mounted Warrior" or the Persian Immortals. But everything has to do with resources, I usually use superior forces against unit's that are obsolete, like Knights against Spearmen or Cavalry against Pikemen. And if I don't have Oil I will use Artillery and Infantry + Marines. The best defensive unit is Infantry, for it's cost and when it comes. The attacks become obsolete if you don't use the strategy I mentioned before, with artillery that is.
[Thursday 04:17:28] <Hi_2k> What do you think of the terrain around the "Fox Nest"? What about our chances of finding resources?
[Thursday 04:18:47] <theGreyFox> I think we will have an easy time getting coal, iron, aluminum, rubber, saltpeter etc... but harder to get horses.
[Thursday 04:19:14] <Hi_2k> any economic or growth concerns about it?
[Thursday 04:20:03] <theGreyFox> I think we will have problems with growth, but economic and Production shouldn't be a problem.
[Thursday 04:20:38] <theGreyFox> The Coast, and the Gold sources will be our major Money incomes from terrain.
[Thursday 04:20:27] <Hi_2k> What are your policies on the various major areas (Domestic, Military, Trade, Science, Culture, Foreign)?
[Thursday 04:41:49] <theGreyFox> Domestic: Try to get as many good cities as possible, and then cities spread out to get Land. These cities will not need much improvements, only enough to keep them happy and raise our culture.
[Thursday 04:45:13] <theGreyFox> Military: To stay in the lead with the Most effective unit available. And not give in to threats. We shouldn't trick our enemies either. We should Declare war before we attack, no sneak attacks or usage of ROP's to invade a nation.
[Thursday 04:49:25] <theGreyFox> Trade: We should not always get the most we can out of deals, sometimes it's better to be nice. No deals should be broken. We shouldn't be nice though, If the one we are trading with has been an enemy for generations, at least not if we were the defenders. We shouldn't trade away Techs, unless we can gain from it, or the one we Trade to are a friend and won't deal it away to our enemies.
[Thursday 04:53:08] <theGreyFox> Science: We are a scientific people and should always stay in tech lead if we can. We don't have to research everything though, we could always by the techs. I don't like to research when having the Great Library and we are still in the Ancient ages. When we get to the Middle ages though, I usually start up the research and try to get to Invention, or further until I get Education through the Library.
[Thursday 04:56:34] <theGreyFox> Culture: I try to build as many Temples and Libraries I can in our cities before 750 AD, because then they will get the 1000 Year bonus before 1750, when the years starts increasing with 2 years per turn. In our core cities though, are these buildings built already, long before 750 AD. Culture are particular important in spread out cities and most of all the border cities.
[Thursday 04:59:24] <theGreyFox> Foreign: As I said before, don't give in to threats (un less they are so stupid it would be dumb to start a war over...). I try not to be dishonarble, by not breaking deals and treaties. And try and be nice to everyone that not are enemies and such.
[Thursday 04:59:47] <theGreyFox> next question?
[Thursday 05:00:00] <Hi_2k> I have to say I agree on almost all
[Thursday 05:00:10] <Hi_2k> Any idea what you will set the money sliders to? Mostly sci, luxury, or gold?

[Thursday 05:03:26] <theGreyFox> During the beginning I will try and get us to Literature as fast as I can, and then build the GL. If I'm sure we will get it I will set science to 10% (or 0% with one scientist), and research the one thing the AI will research last. Or I might go for Republic as fast as we can, for the buildup phase or Monarchy, If we think we will be in war early.
[Thursday 05:04:26] <theGreyFox> And in the end game or when necessary I will set the Luxury slider to whatever necessary.
[Thursday 05:04:07] <Hi_2k> Any other games that you've been playing recently (I.E. Daiblo 2 or Starcraft)?
[Thursday 05:06:47] <theGreyFox> I played Diablo 2 a lot when that came out, the same with Starcraft. Starcraft came out almost the same year I got the PC too. I'm playing HofMM4 now too, but havn't gotten into it yet, The game I finnished quite recently is Metal Gear Solid 2 for PS2, and I have started a game on the next difficulty.

i agree, hi_2k. good format and good questions for the president.

Many people are experssing intrest in attacking, even destroying America. I have compiled a small list and discussion of the positives and negatives of attacking the Americans.

Good:
Land. In this early stage in history, one of the primary things we need to do is capture, wether through conquest or settlement, territory and cities to produce revenue and units.
Luxuries. There seems to be a strong bit of support for being a "Trader", and some lururies seem to be near the American territory. An agressive move would help in the securing of these resources.

Bad:
Reprecussion. If we were to engage the americans, it is possible that they would win. They may even gather enough forces to be able to do damage to our cities, or capture one. At this stage in the game, that could prove fatal.
Reputation. If we kill the americans now, we may suffer damage to our reputation later in the game. Since they arent likley to have writing, I doubt that we will lose much, though.
Military stess. Even if we win a fight against the Americans, we might suffer a significant hit to our military. That would leave us open to threats and war from another country, ones we may not be able to afford.
9-11. We want to respect the americans after having so many losses on that tragic day. Inviting open war makes us seem like the taliban. Of course, if Osama Bin Laden is voting in the polls, no doubt he will urge this on.

Overall, the risks are great, but the position and resources are much needed.

Sorry that I have been silent as of late, schoolwork has really hit me hard this past week. I understand that we are at war, and will try to devote more time to what is going on in our batte.

Top Bottom