Dennis Shirk confirms DLL is on its way

Wasn't it the Shirk brothers in the "Money Pit" that said that famous quote to Tom Hanks:

TH "So when will this job be done?"

Shirk "Two weeks!"

TH "Two weeks?... two weeks!?"

Shirk "You sound like a parrot there! Two weeks, two weeks"

TH "It's just that... two weeks... seems... remarkable..."

Shirk (under his breath) "remarkable... it will be a bloody Miracle!"

Sorry. It was news to me (I haven't been around much lately) and I didn't go back two pages to find it.

Just to contribute some other worthless speculation, I have to wonder if they are working on something more significant (significant in the corporate sense, i.e., something to sell like an expansion). It seems unlikely to me that they would put a "team" on anything otherwise...

First, steam serves as the game's drm. As such, they could easily.enforce more strict methods for loading the DLL, to conform with that drm.

Second, there could be many reasons they'd be delayed, but not explain. Any kind of expansion would be kept under wraps for example. Any surprise features they want to give us alongside it, for another. Secrecy does not equate to conspiracy to suppress modders as competition.

I have already said its been far too long of a delay, though.

Edit: missed the fact that there was a new page of replies. :lol:

First, one should catch up on a post before blithely going and "first-second"-ing another's post.

Second, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that the devs aren't conspiring against me.

First, one should catch up on a post before blithely going and "first-second"-ing another's post.

Second, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that the devs aren't conspiring against me.

One should also acknowledge mistakes can be made, as I did in my edit of my post... Made immediately after I posted, and thus before your reply. ;)

First, steam serves as the game's drm. As such, they could easily.enforce more strict methods for loading the DLL, to conform with that drm.

What strict methods? This really sounds "exotic". I seriously thought so far that there is only one way to dynamically load a dll (LoadLibraryEx etc). I simply dont understand how can a DRM change anyithing about it. But, maybe you are right, just asking...

Otherwise why couldnt they explain what is going on and what are the difficulties they face atm. 14 months have passed since release, this is abnormally long, dont you think so?
Not really. This is a long-term priority, not a short-term one. Modability is something that can wait until the basic skeleton of the game is complete. No sense in putting it out there when you're still working on stuff that'll change the DLL anyway. After all, in the games industry, efficiency is king (well, more like pharaoh perhaps).

Also, may I just say that your attitude is incredibly cynical. You don't need to reply to everyone who says "I don't think it's to make room for more DLC". We aren't threatened by your opinion, we don't care, but you seem to be threatened by ours. This obvious insecurity is...disconcerting. That's the only reason I even mention it, because it's not nice to have to debate someone who isn't budging even a little and yet insists on continuing the debate. In fact, it's a bit of a faux pas.

You can let your opinion stand, it's noted. Maybe once say "I remain unconvinced, but I respect your opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree." Something like that. But, constantly replying to everyone who disagrees with you gets you nowhere fast and just annoys others.

EDIT: Wow, just did the whole "didn't know there was another page of replies" thing myself. I'm not sure whether I should strike this post or not. Regardless, take it with a grain of salt.

You don't need to reply to everyone who says "I don't think it's to make room for more DLC". We aren't threatened by your opinion, we don't care, but you seem to be threatened by ours.

Uhm, who we? Are you a member of firaxis dev team or the publisher staff? Or why are you writing this? Moderator Action: Accusations of astroturfing/guerilla marketing are considered trolling in these forums here. And what does it mean to threaten one's oppinion? I dont get it. And what basic skeleton is not finished? Where do you get this from?

Aaahhh, Ok, I think I know what you mean. That I am accusing him of marketing. But I am not accusing anyone, I really (factually) dont know whether Tssha is from game staff or not, there is a question mark at the end of the sentence. I want to ask him to get an Idea why is he writing that. Just being curious about his motivations.
Moderator Action: You're not allowed to respond to moderator actions in public. If you have a problem with an action, then say that via PM.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom