Design Thread - For Discussion and Review

How khan you possibly not be mad for someone like him? In all seriousness though it's half my love for him and half my pride in that design that makes me so desperate to see it realised - other than him I've no idea which of my splits id most want to be made, probably Egypt? I'm not sure really. What do you guys think? (Since I might find the time to actually code one or two over summer...)

Personally I always liked your Byzantium, Sweden, and Venice splits as you got a couple of civs who were either interesting but mediocre to just plain uncompetitive to Civs that have some quality to them, I mean I have rarely ever come up with new ideas (Even the one you made for Mongolia was a simple point system based upon your in game actions that just shows how unimaginative I am :p ) either way great job!!

I want Byzantium. Especially Basil II. And also I want sheep turkemans. The design is just amehhhhizing.

What? I'm can't understeeehhhand you.
Also my Iroquois.

Personally I always liked your Byzantium, Sweden, and Venice splits as you got a couple of civs who were either interesting but mediocre to just plain uncompetitive to Civs that have some quality to them, I mean I have rarely ever come up with new ideas (Even the one you made for Mongolia was a simple point system based upon your in game actions that just shows how unimaginative I am :p ) either way great job!!

I second the notion on Byzantium. Dunno what it is but it just appeals to me for some reason :lol:
(Also really digging the design for the Mad Baron :D)

--------------------------------

I'm not sure if I'll ever take on actually making a civ but it can't hurt to get a list of designs at the ready :lol:. I'd like to get some feedback on this design I have for the Chinese state of Chu. Especially the designs for the Língmù because I honestly have no idea what to do with it :crazyeye: - For that matter, does anyone have a better suggestion for the second unique? The Língmù was more of a throw-in to help get more culture. Though the design represents the reforms of Wu Qi, I thought it'd be blasphemous to not include some sort of representation of how Chu was influenced by the other cultures in its region.

State of Chu
Capital: :c5capital: Ying
Leader: Chancellor Wu Qi

UA: Wuzi
Adopting a Social Policy provides a 20% :c5production: production bonus towards land military units for 10 turns and a free promotion for all garrisoned units. Upon completing a Social Policy Tree, may choose between a permanent 5% :c5food: Growth boost and +3 :c5happy: Happiness in the :c5capital: Capital OR 20% :c5food: Growth and +5 :c5strength: City Strength for 20 turns in cities near foreign cities or City-States.

UU: Lingyin
When adjacent to or garrisoned in a city, may move :c5citizen: Citizens from the :c5capital: Capital to that city OR hurry production of buildings 3 times before being expended. Receive a sum of :c5gold: Gold when moving citizens or :c5culture: Culture when rushing buildings. Replaces the Great Writer.

UB: Língmù
Yields +2 :c5culture: Culture and provides a sum of :c5culture: Culture whenever a Great Person is expended unlike the Temple it replaces. Has with a random :greatwork: Great Work Slot which when filled by an Artifact or Great Work from foreign Civilizations or City-States, yields an additional +1 :c5faith: Faith and :c5culture: Culture.

OR

UI: Língmù
Yields +2 :c5culture: Culture and +1 :c5faith: Faith, and may not be built adjacent to another Língmù. Yields a sum of :c5culture: Culture whenever a Great Person is expended within 2 tiles of it OR :c5influence: Influence if built in City-State territory. +2 :c5gold: Gold after researching Archaeology. Unlocked at Calendar.

For me, chu should be militaristic.
The last part of the UA is OP, though I like the capital\ happiness focus. Perhaps making it scale would go better then flat bonuses. I'd go with the UB as it fits the theme more, and its much more... Badasstatic.

For me, chu should be militaristic.
The last part of the UA is OP, though I like the capital\ happiness focus. Perhaps making it scale would go better then flat bonuses. I'd go with the UB as it fits the theme more, and its much more... Badasstatic.

Yeah I was wondering if 20% growth for 20 turns stacked with a city defense buff would be too much. And 'Badasstatic' haha, I like the sound of it, think I'll use that word from time to time from now on :lol:

As for the military focus, I thought about it but I'm going for a more of a consolidation focus since Chu had grown weaker and corrupt before the reforms came. I thought the the production bonus and promotions would be enough to represent the military side but maybe the UU could act as a Great General during war or somethin'.

No, as in entirely militaristic focus... Like the design I made.
But hey, your design is beautiful. I suppose no design is perfect, so yours is good enough. Just change Dat baddastatic UA.
(Natan can into inglish huhuhuahaha)

I have many ideas for civs, but not the coding know how to make them, I will place my ideas here for adoption some day.

Ajuran Sultanate
Capital :c5capital:Mogadishu
Leader Ajuran Gareen

UA: Hydraulic Empire
Cities on Rivers have 33% land trade :trade: route distance. Oasis have +1 food :c5food: , and give the surrounding tiles +1 food :c5food:.

UI:Qalcad
Replaces the fort. In addition to the usual defensive traits, the Qalcad yeilds +1 food :c5food: and counts as clear terrain for friendly units. Gains +1 culture :c5culture: and +1 Tourism :tourism: after the Flight Technology is researched.

UU: Somali Mamluke
Replaces the Knight. While slightly more expensive, the Somali Mamluke can be purchesed 25% cheaper with gold :c5gold:. In addition, when garrisoned in a city, it adds 2 local happiness :c5happy:.

While the Civ is a bit unfocused, the first two parts increase food production, and help represent the construction skills, and allow the player to control the terrain a bit, with increased food yields. The second part rewards high gold income, as the unit is much cheaper to buy with gold then normal.

Hang in a sec. Nice design, but the +1 food for surrounding tiles is OP.

I have many ideas for civs, but not the coding know how to make them, I will place my ideas here for adoption some day.

Ajuran Sultanate
Capital :c5capital:Mogadishu
Leader Ajuran Gareen

UA: Hydraulic Empire
Cities on Rivers have 33% land trade :trade: route distance. Oasis have +1 food :c5food: , and give the surrounding tiles +1 food :c5food:.

UI:Qalcad
Replaces the fort. In addition to the usual defensive traits, the Qalcad yeilds +1 food :c5food: and counts as clear terrain for friendly units. Gains +1 culture :c5culture: and +1 Tourism :tourism: after the Flight Technology is researched.

UU: Somali Mamluke
Replaces the Knight. While slightly more expensive, the Somali Mamluke can be purchesed 25% cheaper with gold :c5gold:. In addition, when garrisoned in a city, it adds 2 local happiness :c5happy:.

While the Civ is a bit unfocused, the first two parts increase food production, and help represent the construction skills, and allow the player to control the terrain a bit, with increased food yields. The second part rewards high gold income, as the unit is much cheaper to buy with gold then normal.

Spoiler :
First of all, this is mysteriously similar to this design:

Somalia
Leader: Mohammed Abdullah Hassan
Capital: Mogadishu
Border Colors: (((())))
Start Bias: Coast

Unique Ability: Hydraulic Empire. Pay no additional movement cost to cross rivers within friendly territory. +1 gold :c5gold: on lake tiles and tiles with fresh water access. Range of trade routes from cities with fresh water increased by 50%.

Unique Unit: Askari, replaces Rifleman. Has a 20% combat bonus in friendly territory and costs slightly less.

Unique Improvement: Qalcad, a replacement for the fort. Compared to the fort, the Qalcad takes a slightly shorter time to build and provides a 15% general combat boost on top of the 50% defensive bonus.

Secondly, Unique Improvements do not replace Improvements that are already in the game. In addition, +1 Tourism is redundant for Improvements, because all Culture yielded from Improvements automatically contributes towards Tourism with Hotels.

Thirdly, the Qalcad is already a Unique Building for Age of Imperialism's Dervish State civ. Not that it matters that much, and not that you'd know, anyway.

As for the design itself, I really like the idea of Oases improving Desert tiles.

Spoiler :
First of all, this is mysteriously similar to this design:

Secondly, Unique Improvements do not replace Improvements that are already in the game. In addition, +1 Tourism is redundant for Improvements, because all Culture yielded from Improvements automatically contributes towards Tourism with Hotels.

Thirdly, the Qalcad is already a Unique Building for Age of Imperialism's Dervish State civ. Not that it matters that much, and not that you'd know, anyway.

As for the design itself, I really like the idea of Oases improving Desert tiles.
I did not see that, thanks for the heads up.

Lol firaxis can hire you both.:lol: (also what happened to the part when Nader shah killed civilians yo)

Now, Iroquois split!(incomplete; subject to revision)

Iroquois Confederacy(Hiawatha)
Spoiler :
UA: Wars of the Beaver
:c5war: Pillaging Improvements and attacking cities transfers :c5food: food from the enemy city equal to the number of citizens in it to your nearest city. Conquered cities act as sources of Beaver, and +1 :c5production: production towards units per each luxury copy traded to a civilization that may build them.

UU: Harasser
Replaces musketman. Has +1 :c5moves: movement, and starts with the "viking fury" and woodsman promotions. Has the "Rush attack" promotion, that makes it invisible and allows it to ignore enemy ZOC if it disembarked last turn or ended the turn of forest\ jungle.

UI: Warpath
Unlocked at construction. Functions as road, but may only be built on forest\ jungle. Friendly units treat warpaths as if they weren't rough, and gain 15% :c5strength: combat boost while fighting in them. Takes 2 turns to build.

Wyandot
Spoiler :
UA: Forest Traditions
Cities may work additional tile ring per each 10 :c5citizen: citizens in them. Chopping forests provides double :c5production: production and :c5food: food, and chopped forest tiles yield +1 :c5culture: culture. Forests are regenerated whenever the city's working range is increased.

UB: Longhouse
Replaces Aquaduct. Instead of its effects, it stores 30% of the :c5food: food when a new citizen is born, and 30% of the :c5culture: culture whenever the city grows to a new tile. +1 :c5culture: culture, no maintenance costs.

UI: Huron Camp
Unlocked at agriculture. May only be built on forest, or near forest resources, and never adjacent to another Huron. Yields +1 :c5food: food, :c5production: production and :c5culture: culture. Resource improvements adjacent to a Huron camp yield +1 of their appropriate yield per each 10 :c5citizen: citizens in the city.

Anishinaabe
Spoiler :
UA: Seven Fires
Antiquity sites and great works are replaced* by :greatwork: Birch Bark artifacts**, and reveal miigis shells*** upon creation. +1 :c5moves: movement for civilian units adjacent to religious ones, and religious unit grant :c5food: food and :c5faith: faith boost to cities upon founding(increased if the city is adjacent to a miigis shell).

UB: Midewigaan
Replaces shrine. Unlike it, provides +1 :c5food: food and does not unlock the temple. Instead, if the city has more than 10 followers, unlocks the building of the Midewigamig, which grants +1 :c5faith: faith and :c5food: food per each 5 followers of your religion. The Midewigamig also contains a random :greatwork: birch bark slot.

UI: Wigwam
Unlocked at trapping. May be built on non- hill tundra\ grassland\ plains tiles. Yields +1 :c5food: food and +1 :c5culture: culture. May transfer citizen from the city to a wigwam, causing it to yield +1 :c5culture: culture and +1 :c5faith: faith. +1 :c5culture: culture, and +1 culture after archeology.

*antiquity sites not be seen(at all, includes hidden ones). Birch bark sources(may only appear in forests\ jungle, as frequent as antiquity sites) are seen instead.
**GW of writing become maps(2 culture, 4 science), GW of art become scrolls(3 culture, 3 faith), GW of music become songs(1 happiness, 1 faith, 4 culture.). All yield +1 tourism after archeology.
***revealed in coastal tiles that you discovered, base in the number of cities you founded.

Iroquois split complete now!
Feedback is much appreciated.

I think Songhai is a weird example of a non-gameplay changing civ. Certainly it seems to encourage you to go after Barbarians much more agressively.

FTFY, and yeah, it a weird example.
Okay, I started a Songhai game recently, and... my territory was full of salt... And there are about 4 sources of gold to its south. And I'm close to the Ashanti. That's probably the most historically accurate game I ever had(other then YNAEMP games). So... Songhai split!!!!

Ghana Empire(Kaya Magan Cissé)
Spoiler :
UA: Golden routes
Gain :c5gold: gold and expand to new tiles faster per each :trade: caravan that moved through your territory last turn. Whenever you discover a brabrain encampment, a bigger* enmey city, or a:trade: trade route is intercepted, gain :c5production: production towards Soninke fighter**.

UU: Soninke fighter
Replaces warrior. Slightly stronger(9 :c5strength:) and more expansive, but costs no maintenance and generates :c5gold: gold from killing barbarians and capturing cities.

UB: Tago workshop
Replaces forge. Instead of its abilities, increases the :c5production: production of infantry units by 20%, and grant +1 :c5production: production from all mine-based resources. Requires the city to have at least 1 source of iron\ gems.

*Bigger than any city you own.
**era appropriate unit with its attributes, production goes to the capital.

Mali Empire(Mansa Musa)
Spoiler :
UA: Caliph of West Africa
Gold, copper and salt provide double quantity and extra yields*, and grant :c5greatperson: Royal Caravan points from :trade: trade routes with cities following your religion. Intimidated :c5citystate: city-states give you their :c5gold: gold output and gold gifts generate :c5faith: faith based on the amount** of your religion's followers in the city.

UU: Royal Caravan
Replaces great merchant. May not build custom house, but it may perform a Hajj in the territory of foreign capital following your religion, granting you :c5faith: faith per each copy of gold\ salt in your territory. Doing so will grant you a diplomatic boost and will increase your :c5influence: influence with CS by 1 per each copy of salt\ gold in your empire(doubled if city follows your religion) for 10 turns.

UU: Mandekalu Cavalry
Replaces knight. Unlocked earlier at guilds, but is more expansive. However, it doesn't gain the penalties of a mounted unit, and it has the "River warlord" promotion, allowing it to ignore terrain costs in river tiles, and granting it 25% :c5strength: combat bonus when attacking from a river or when stacked with a caravan.

*+2 gold from :c5gold: gold tiles, +1 :c5food: food and +1 gold from salt, +1 gold from copper.
**gold percentage equal to the percentage your religion's followers are(of the city's population), faith equal to the gold×the percentage your religion's followers are of the city's entire population.

Songhai Empire(Askia The Great)
Spoiler :
UA: Mansa's Legacy
Gain :c5science: science equal to the religious pressure you exert and :c5culture: culture equal to the science you send out in :trade: trade routes. Government buildings cost 50% less maintenance, may be bought with :c5faith: faith, and generate +1 :c5gold: gold and +1 :c5faith: faith per each :trade: trade route sent to the city.

UB: Mud Pyramid Mosque
Replaces temple. Unlike it, costs no gold to maintain, and is much cheaper to build. Generates +1 :c5culture: culture, and additional one :c5culture: culture and :c5science: science after you build the grand temple.

UU: Cattle militia
Replaces longswordsman. Does not require iron, but has 25% penalty against melee units, and additional 25% penalty vs. Gun units. When stationed in a pasture, reduces the :c5strength: strength of adjacent 20% and forbids them from fortifying, healing or gaining defensive bonuses, and also causes them to gain a vision penalty. +25% defence for adjacent units if ending the turn on a cattle tile.

Yeah... Thoughts?
I tried to make it as different as I could from Urdnot's split.

Chinese civs!

Xiongnu(Modu Chanyu)
Spoiler :
UA: The First Khan
Gain a free Chanyu upon entering a new era. Per each era the city* has been conquered in, conquered cities generate +1% :c5culture: culture per each social policy adopted and the :c5capital: capital generates +1% :c5culture: culture per each conquered city.

UU: Chanyu
Replaces great general. Has the "son of endless sky" promotion, granting adjacent units that finished their turn on flat tile +2 :c5moves: movement and +5% :c5strength: strength per each featureless grassland\ plains tile near them. For 10 turns after being consumed, gain :c5culture: culture per each enemy killed.

UU: Tribal Nomad
Replaces horseman. Unlike it, does not require horses. Though slower(3 :c5moves:), it may gain defensive terrain bonuses and has the drill I promotion. May enter foreign** territory.

*+1% culture in the capital per each conquered city in each an era.
**acts like open borders. Upon declaring war, the unit is placed in the closest neutral tile.

Han Dynasty(Emperor Wu)
Spoiler :
UA: Monopoly on Asia
Resources* receive extra yields from buildings, and contribute :c5production: production towards those buildings upon being improved. :c5puppet: Puppet cities provide additional copy of a random resource, and resources worked by them yield +1 :c5gold: gold.

UU: Protector General
Replaces great general. :c5war: Intimidates city states three times more than your most powerful unit, and units adjacent to it increase :c5influence: influence when ending the turn in :c5citystate: city state territory(instead of decreasing it). May be consumed to :c5puppet: puppet allied city states.

UU: Chu-ko-nu
Replaces composite bowman. Starts with the "repeating gun" promotion, allwoing it to pay just 0.5 MP to attack, and upgrades to the gattling gun. Upon reaserching machinery becomes more powerful(12 :c5strength:, 16 :c5rangedstrength:).

Okay, okay... More Chinese civs!!!

Yuan Dyansty(Kublai Khan)
Spoiler :
UA: Conquest Dynasty
May adopt a :c5culture: social policy adopted by the city's owner upon conquering a city (may only happen once per civilization), and upon conquering an enemy :c5capital: capital all cities founded by the same civilization are automatically assimilated to your empire. Gain :c5culture: culture and :c5faith: faith from government buildings, increased if built via conquering capitals.

UB: Zagu
Replaces opera house. However, it contains a unique great work slot, that may be used for either a :greatwork: great work if music or writing. When filled, the building will yield additional +2 :c5culture: culture and +2 :c5happy: happiness. +1 :c5greatperson: great writer points in the city with the highest great writer generation, if built in a city with a courthouse.

UI: Yam
Unlocked at chivalry. may not be built adjacent to another Yam. Whenever a :trade: trade route passes on a yam, receive culture equal to the route's :c5science: science output. Yields +1 :c5gold: gold per each :trade: trade route that passes within two tiles of it, and additional +1 :c5gold: gold if city has a caravansary. Units heal at double rate if ending the turn in a Yam.

Qing Dyansty(Qianlong Emperor)
Spoiler :
UA: Eight Banners
Upon conquering a city or an encampment, its garrison defects to your side, and your units receive experience based on the defected unit's level. Defected units may capture units produced by the same civilization*, and offset anarchy and :c5unhappy: unhappiness penalties in cities when garrisoned.

UU: Bannerman
Replaces lancer. Requires horses and retains the bonus vs. Mounted, even though it doesn't count as a mounted unit, has 3 :c5moves: movement and is stronger(30 :c5strength:). May capture defeated units, and heals upon doing so. Upgrades to the great war infantry.

UU: Green Standard Army
Replaces rifleman. Cheaper and unlocked earlier at banking, but does not obsolete. May be upgraded from captured units, and grants 5% :c5war: combat bonus to adjacent captured units per each level it has. Reduces enemy spy effectiveness by 25% when stationed in a city.

Thoughts, anyone?

Top Bottom