Design Thread - For Discussion and Review

Why won't you just split it? You would do this anyway, no?

I dunno about later Moroccan monarchs not being interesting. Granted, I do find a lot of the Saadi monarchs post Ahmad al-Mansur to be relatively minor (whether due to lack of sufficient information) or overall pathetic, and this is also relatively the case with a lot of the Alaouite monarchs, but there are a few diamonds in the rough (namely Mohammed IV and Hassan I who both sought, albeit unsuccessfully, to modernize Morocco and resist colonial domination, and Mohammed V, who became the first post-colonial Sultan, and later King, of Morocco.)

But I digress. Here's my idea for such a split.

Saadi Morocco:
Leader: Ahmad al-Mansur
Unique Ability: Gateway to Africa: Receive +3 Gold and +1 Culture per trade route with a Civilization or City State. Trade Route owners receive +2 Gold for each trade route sent to Morocco.
Unique Unit: Black Guard: Replaces Musketman: Unique Promotion allowing them double movement rate through desert tiles. If Unit is stationed in city owned by you, receive +2 Gold per turn and +1 Happiness.
Unique Improvement: Kasbah: Requires Chivalry: +1 Food, +1 Gold, +1 Production as well as a +50% defensive bonus. Can only be built on desert tiles and not adjacent to each other.
Capital: Marrakech

In this, the original Moroccan Civilization has the Berber Cavalry replaced with the earlier Black Guard, a unit that was used during the reign of Ismail Moulay. With this I wanted to simulate the Black Guards role as collecting taxes as well as maintaining order with fierce loyalty towards their sultan.

Alaouite Morocco (or Rif Republic)
Leader: Hassan I (Alaouite)/Abd el-Krim (Rif)
Unique Ability: (Alaouite) The Alaouite Modernization: +1 Science for every Desert tile you own in your empire. For every turn during your Golden Age, gain a science bonus equivalent to 25% of your science output, increasing to 50% upon completion of the Rationalism social policy.
(Rif) Rif War: All units move through desert tiles as it is were roads. Upon defeating enemy units, units are healed equivalent to half the killed unit's combat strength.
Unique Unit: Berber Cavalry: Replaces Cavalry: Combat Bonus in desert tiles and on its owner's territory.
Unique Building:: Ksar: Replaces Castle: In addition to health and city strength boosts, provides +1 gold for every 3 citizens in the city it is built, as well an additional +1 Gold and +1 Culture (+1 Science for Alaouite Morocco) for both you and for the trade route owner per each trade route sent to the city.
Capital: Fez (Alaouite)/Ajdir (Rif)

This civ is for the 19th and early 20th century Morocco, whether it is a pre-colonial Alaouite Morocco or Rif Republic. I've adopted Natan's Unique Building variant of the Kasbah, but renamed it Ksar and gave it a little buff, as a tribute to its status as a trade hub. However it is all and all, a defense-minded civ, playing into the strengths of the Berber Cavalry, and also, in the case of the Rif moreso, to how the Riffians fought during the Rif War.

Tell me what you guys think about it?

That's not the half that worries me, it's the +1 Science from Desert tiles, with a Desert bias the civilization will shoot up real fast really soon. It'd be a snowball that's impossible to stop.

That's not the half that worries me, it's the +1 Science from Desert tiles, with a Desert bias the civilization will shoot up real fast really soon. It'd be a snowball that's impossible to stop.

Aye, this is compounded by the fact that you don't even have to work the desert tiles, so it doesn't even have the drawback of a desert tile's usual lackluster yields. So yeah, the second civ could certainly do with some rebalancing.

Asides from that, I'm pretty interested in seeing some more designs for redesigned Morocco - though I don't know much about Moroccan history.

Except, The Black guard is Alaouite, and the Ksar is rather ancient... Anyway, my take at a modern Morocco:

Alaouite Dynasty(Hassan I)
UA: The Western country
Units ending their turn in :c5citystate: city state territory take damage, but grant :c5gold: gold equal to the :c5influence: influence you have with them. Each :trade: trade route sent to you reduces the influence decay with :c5citystate: city states by 10%(max. 50%) and grants you +1 :c5culture: culture and +1 :c5gold: gold for the owner per each friendly :c5citystate: city states.

UU: Black Guard
Replaces rifleman. Unlike it, produced faster per each stolen worker you own, and may be healed instantly by consuming stolen workers(this also grants the unit a permanent 5% :c5strength: combat bonus). Stronger(36 :c5strength:) and does not suffer combat penalties from unhappiness, in addition to gaining a 50% bonus while fighting in the desert.

UB: Kasbah
Unlocked at chivalry, the Kasbah replaces the Castle. It grants +1 :c5culture: culture, and even more based on the number of trade routes sent to the city. In addition, Kasbahs yield +3 :c5gold: gold and +2 :c5culture: culture per each 50 turns they exist.

I wouldnt mind seeing the making morroco... both of course pre-colonial and my own post-colonial vision

Kingdom of Morocco

Mohammed IV

Qaidization
Great Generals when stacked with Military Units during :c5war: War grants +5 :c5gold: Gold for every Experience level earned. 50% of the :c5gold: Gold acquired from :trade: Trade Routes is converted into :c5production: Production toward Military Units in the target City.

al-Muhandisin
Along with the usual defensive bonuses it provides +1 :c5science: Science for ever Military Unit in training and may grant :c5gold: Gold upon reaching Peace. Military Buildings built in this City cost no Maitenence unlike the Arsenal it replaces.

Berber Cavalry
Recieves an additional Experience (+5) for every Declaration of War you currently have. when stationed in Friendly Territory it receives an additonal Experience boost. May move through Mountainous Terrain as well as Desert much faster unlike the Cavalry it replaces

Post-Colonial:
French Morocco

Hubert Lyautey

Maker of Morocco
Puppet Cities you control do not have :c5culture: Cultural or :c5science: Scientific Penalties however Annexation time is much longer. Wounded Units may fight as if they were full Strength if they are in Enemy Territory.

Goumier
Much cheaper to train it gains +2 :c5moves: Movement in friendly or neutral Territory. May pillage tiles without Movement Peanlties and ignore Enemy ZOC unlike the Great War Infantry it replaces

Sharifian Court
Slightly more expensive to construct it grants +2 :c5gold: Gold. +2 :c5culture: Culture per every Puppet City you have connected to the City and has 1 :greatwork: Great Work slot unlike the Museum it replaces.

Err... how come the precolonization Morocco ended up having the Askari? Shouldn't it have the Blackguard instead? (or the Berber Cavalry)

Err... how come the precolonization Morocco ended up having the Askari? Shouldn't it have the Blackguard instead? (or the Berber Cavalry)

It's an imperialist joke people, get with the olden times :p anyways ask the magic of wikipedia:
Mohammed IV invited a group of Tunisian officers who had served in the Ottoman army to raise and train the first European-style regiment, the askari, as a supplement to the usual palace guards (abid) and tribal troops (ghish and nu'aib). Muhammad IV set up the madrasa al-Muhandisin, a military engineering school in Fez

Yeah, no offence, but...
I really don't understand this. You give me a renaissance era UB that will occasionally increase my science by less then 1% and my gold output by... Pretty much the same rate? That's hardly useful....
(Unless you build an insane wide empire but than you'll have other problems to deal with).
I think the second part of the UA and the second UU are nice.
(UB of the second civ is awesome and will give about 6 culture each...)

Now, Republic of the Rif!

Republic of the Rif(Muhammad Ibn 'Abd al-Karim al-Khattabi)
UA: Berber resistance
Each unit trained in a city will grant it +1 :c5strength: strength and will increase the starting XP of any units from the same upgrade line trained in the city. Desert tiles are 50% more cheaper to expand into and will grant :c5production: production towards units upon being integrated into your empire.

UU: Berber Cavalry
Being weaker(32 :c5strength:) and cheaper than the cavalry which it replaces, the Berber cavalry has a 5% :c5strength: combat boost against enemy units per each level it is higher than them, which is increased to 10% if the Berber cavalry is injured. Does not obsolete, and starts with the "guardian of the desert" promotion, granting it +25% bonus in desert tiles which is doubled in friendly tiles, and allowing it to gain defensive terrain bonuses in them.

UI: Ksar
May only be built on flat desert tiles, never adjacent to each other and takes 8 times to be built? +1 :c5gold: gold, +1 :c5food: food, and additional 1 :c5gold: gold after economics. Also yields +1 :c5food: food near sources of fresh water, and +1 :c5production: production near strategic resources(per each resource adjacent).

(Unless you build an insane wide empire but than you'll have other problems to deal with).

That's usually how I play. I build insanely wide empires because, I like to see how many cities I can build and utilize.

That being said, what do you mean by units being integrated into your empire?

Well, I doubt you build arsenals very often.
I was referring to the tiles.

Well we have something in common :D
Nothing like massacring everyone other than one civ and wining spamming Landmarks.

This is gonna be a big one. These are so far the basic designs I have for CulDec, which is an addon that connects both CulDiv and E&D.

ANDEAN DECISIONS:

+2 :c5culture: Culture from Shrines
Gain Gold and Silver in the :c5capital: Capital

BANTU DECISIONS:​

+10 EXP for all starting units
+1 Movement for settlers

BHARATA DECISIONS:

+2 :c5faith: Faith from Shrines
+2 :c5culture: Culture for every Religion in the City

CENTRAL DECISIONS:

+2 :c5culture: Culture from Granaries
Religious Pressure is doubled in all Cities

CLASSICAL DECISIONS:

Free Garden in the :c5capital: Capital
+20% :c5gold: Gold from City Connections

COLONIAL DECISIONS:

Cities celebrating WLKTD generate +25% :C5gold: Gold
Coastal cities automatically estabilish City Connections to the :c5capital: Capital

EASTERN DECISIONS:​

+1 :c5faith: Faith from Barracks, Armories, Walls and Castles
Gain :c5faith: Faith from building Units

ISLAMIC DECISIONS:

+2 :trade: Trade Routes
+1 Happiness for every unique Luxury

MANDALA DECISIONS:

During Golden Ages, :c5gold: Gold Gifts to CSes grant +50% more Influence
+2 :c5culture: Culture from Universities

MESOAMERICAN DECISIONS:

+1 :c5food: Food from Plantations and Lakes
+1 :c5production: Production from Jungle Tiles

NORTHERN DECISIONS:​

Gain :c5culture: Culture from Building Units
Units gain +20% more Strength while attacking

OCEANIC DECISIONS:

+2 :c5culture: Culture from Workboats and Atolls
Movement is doubled when on Coast Tiles

ORIENTAL DECISIONS:

+2 :c5science: Science from Shrines and Temples
Workers work 50% faster

SAHUL DECISIONS:

+1 :c5culture: Culture in a city for every 6 plots owned
Borders expand 50% faster

SEMITIC DECISIONS:

+2 :c5faith: Faith in all cities
+1 Vision for all Gun and Melee units

SOUTHERN DECISIONS:

Cities with Wonders produce 25% more :c5culture: Culture
+30% of Culture from Wonders, Great Works, Artifacts and Improvements is transformed into Tourism

STEPPE DECISIONS:

+1 :c5production: Production and +1 :c5culture: Culture from Pastures
Gain additional :c5gold: Gold from capturing Cities

TOTALITARIAN DECISIONS:

Great Generals are born 50% faster
Gain Tourism upon the birth of a General

TRIBAL DECISIONS:

+1 :c5food: Food from Camps
Gain two Furs resources in the :c5capital: Capital

WEST-AFRICAN DECISIONS:

+1 :c5gold: Gold from Mines
:trade: Trade Routes generate more :c5gold: Gold for every Mine being worked

WESTERN DECISIONS:

Cities with the East India Company generates +25% :c5gold: Gold
Golden Ages last 50% longer

So, yeah, rip them apart.

I seriously need to share some of my Decisions ideas with you, GPuzzle, in the hope that you might like a few enough to use them. I'll see about that tomorrow evening.

But right now, I just got a light bulb on a Civ I'd been thinking about lately. I'd promised Howard Tafty an Imperial design that brought the fearsome Stormtroopers of the movies to bear, so here you are:

Palpatine
:c5capital: Imperial Center

UA: New Order
Units you control gain +10% Strength vs. Units and +20% City Attack against Civilizations you have denounced; this bonus also applies to Barbarian Units and Encampments. Military units that end their turns within 2 squares of a Grand Admiral gain a unique promotion.

Unique Promotions
Spoiler :
501st Legion (Melee/Gunpowder units): Grant +5% Combat Strength to each adjacent Melee and Gunpowder unit, up to 20%.
Raptor Squad (Archery/Ranged units): Grant +5% Combat Strength to each adjacent Archery/Ranged unit, up to 20%.
Blizzard Squad (Mounted and Armor units): Grant +5% Combat Strength to each adjacent Mounted and Armor unit, up to 20%.
Battle Station Command (Siege units): Grant +5 Combat Strength to each adjacent Siege unit, up to 20%.
181st Fighter Squadron (Fighter units): Deals additional damage when intercepting.
Scimitar Squadron (Bomber units): Takes less damage when intercepted.
Chimaera Squadron (Ranged Naval units): Grant +5% combat strength to adjacent Ranged Naval units, up to 20%.
Executor Squadron (Melee Naval units): Grant +5% combat strength to adjacent Melee Naval units, up to 20%.

I did reach a little for some of the unit names:

501st Legion were the elite Stormtroopers, also called Vader's Fist.
Raptors were elite troopers under Warlord Zsinj (from the novels); I couldn't come up with a better ranged name.
Blizzard Squad were the AT-ATs and AT-STs under the command of Major General Veers at the Battle of Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back.
Battle Station Command was a special siege unit headed by Grand Moff Tarkin at some point (this is EU material)
181st Fighter Squadron were the elite TIE Fighter pilots, the Imperial equivalent to Rogue Squadron
Scimitar Squadron were the elite TIE Bomber pilots
Chimaera Squadron is named after Thrawn's flagship Chimaera; he did not generally employ direct ship-to-ship combat.
Executor Squadron is named after the Super Star Destroyer. I couldn't come up with anything better.

UU: Grand Admiral
Replaces the Great General. Rather than building Citadels, Grand Admirals build Imperial Academies. In addition to the effects of a Citadel, Imperial Academies spawn additional Melee or Gunpowder units whenever war is declared. Conquered cities suffer no turns of resistance while occupied by a Grand Admiral.

UU: Stormtrooper
Replaces Infantry, and has the same attributes. Receives a 20% combat bonus while flanking and generates twice the amount of points toward a Grand Admiral.

=================================

The idea is to be an extreme warmonger. I don't often find myself Denouncing, and I thought it would be nifty to give Denouncements a bit more of an effect for a Civ. It also illustrates the Emperor's complete control of his troopers' opinions.

The Grand Admiral is somewhat confusing. They're modeled after the 12 (plus Thrawn) Grand Admirals named by Palpatine in the EU material (novels, games, etc). They are meant to be military savants, able to bring the best out of their units. This is why they grant unique promotions to unit classes; their ability to improve that class of units. You'll get very strong units, but it will take effort on the player's part to get more than a handful of them. I wanted to replace both Great Generals and Admirals with them, but felt that would be too confusing. In Star Wars, Imperial Admirals are clearly the main military leaders outside Vader and the Emperor himself, given that Imperial Generals were limited to planetside commands for the most part. Great Admirals are unaffected, and could be renamed to Great Captains or some such to avoid confusion. Giving Citadels a buff seemed pretty nifty IMO, too. Air units need only end their turn in a city within 2 tiles of a Grand Admiral to get their effects. The Great General list would be customized (and expanded to add other leaders, like Pellaeon and Veers, who were significant but not actually Grand Admirals - this helps keep the list from running out).

While the Stormtroopers in Thrawn's earlier design supported his playstyle (and flavor), so do these Stormtroopers. They're meant to attack. More Grand Admirals = more promotions and Imperial Academies. More Imperial Academies means more units on DoW. More promotions = stronger units. All of which make Palpatine a more potent warmonger.

Since so many beings hated him, I didn't feel the least bit of remorse that he can't handle the happiness hits he's going to get. I did toy with a UB that is instantly built on conquest, but increases long-term unhappiness, though. I decided I liked the Grand Admiral better.

This design is nowhere near as coherent as Thrawn, but then again, Palpatine himself really wasn't. Feel free to butcher/assist as you feel necessary.

Wait: those are two decisions, or one? Because I don't get the semitic thing....
(What exactly they're supposed to represent)

Top Bottom