Design Thread - For Discussion and Review

1. Seriously? Both rifleman and GWI replacements? Maximilian was dead by 1914, last I checked.
2. I think you should try and make it a bit more synergetic...

1. Well I considered a cavalry replacement, but at the same time, I also wanted unique items that hasn't been used by Mexican civ's already made. (Juarez, Victoria and Hidalgo). The problem is, there really isn't many to go by, and I already have a terrible track record with Unique Buildings as it is. Yes Maximillian was dead before 1914, but frankly, there have been a number of unique units by civs with leaders who died long before those units were put to use.

2. How does one make this synergetic?

Besides, what's the point of having a combat bonus while garrisoned?

It's meant to be a defensive bonus for units really. This civ is meant to be a defensive turtling civ with focus towards diplomatic victory.

The Caliphate of Sokoto

Leader: Uthman Ibn Fodio I

Capital: Sokoto

UA: The Fula Jihads
If your :c5faith: faith output is higher than it was the previous turn, receive a free military unit in the :c5capital: Capital and +2 global :c5happy: happiness. +1 :c5production: production from Jungle tiles when constructing :c5faith: faith buildings.

UB: Zawiya (Replaces Constabulary)
The Zawiya yields +1 :c5faith: faith, unlike the constabulary it replaces, and a further +1 :c5faith: faith and +1 :c5culture: culture in cities following the religion of your :c5capital: capital. Purchasing missionaries and inquisitors in cities with a Zawiya costs 25% less :c5faith: faith.

UU: Bororo (Replaces Spearman)
The Bororo is slightly faster than the Spearman it replaces, with 3 :c5moves: movement points and the ability to ignore :c5moves: movement point costs in Jungle tiles. Furthermore, the Bororo lends this ability to stacked civilian units too.

What do you guys think about this?

Something about it feels like de ja vu... what's up with the jungle focus?

I thought the Fula Jihads were carried over the Sahel mostly.

When I googled, the area around the Sokoto river looked fairly jungle-ish. I might be wrong, my African climatology is fairly poor I'll admit.

Its op? I mean is that UA for real? Free military unit my faith output increases? That's 30+ free units per game.

(Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't spears vs. Guns Songhai's thing? :p I mean, Sokoto isn't really an ancient era civ....)

By free I don't mean maintenance free, just a unit appears in the capital. Also I don't know what you mean by spears vs guns - I judge the replacement based off of two things: which unit which most resembles the unique, in this case, a spearman most resembles a traditional Bororo warrior, and the effect on gameplay. (a later unit giving civillian movement bonuses would be less useful because the majority of the settlement has stopped) Just because the real Sokoto caliphate ruled during the 1800s doesn't mean the civ should be focussed on the industrial era, since sokoto was clearly not an industrial society.

By free I don't mean maintenance free, just a unit appears in the capital. Also I don't know what you mean by spears vs guns - I judge the replacement based off of two things: which unit which most resembles the unique, in this case, a spearman most resembles a traditional Bororo warrior, and the effect on gameplay. (a later unit giving civillian movement bonuses would be less useful because the majority of the settlement has stopped) Just because the real Sokoto caliphate ruled during the 1800s doesn't mean the civ should be focussed on the industrial era, since sokoto was clearly not an industrial society.

Assuming that this is post-Industrial only for the UA is pretty dang good. The Bororo are okay but knowing your style of designing civilizations I was expecting it to be more flashy :p not that its bad it makes for quite a great scouting and expansion unit.

Building shrines early in the game will cripple them. Building them later in the game means to much maintenance from all the units. It's not OP.

Shrines cost 40 Production. Units cost far more. Getting a free unit after only spending 40 production is OP because you can train large armies much cheaper than usually.

Shrines cost 40 Production. Units cost far more. Getting a free unit after only spending 40 production is OP because you can train large armies much cheaper than usually.

You can solve that problem by "If your Faith per Turn is bigger than it ever was", which allows for pretty much the same thing and stops that from happening.

The unit isn't free, it cost maintenance. And building shrines/ military units will set the player behind because they aren't building other stuff.

The Caliphate of Sokoto

What do you guys think about this?

I like it, it's very good and works quite well. I can see more or less how this will play out. Now, the part I find interesting about this is that I've finally gotten to a point whre I can look at it and actually have a way to code, which is great personally.

I... Can do that.
But urdnot will beat me to it 100%

You mean a design for one, or has anyone actually made one? Because to my knowledge its a no to both but the former is definitely easier to do than the latter :lol:

You mean a design for one, or has anyone actually made one? Because to my knowledge its a no to both but the former is definitely easier to do than the latter :lol:
Yeah, just a design. I want something more modern to move the Berber Cavalry to, maybe the republic of the Rif? Most of the newer Moroccan monarchs don't seem so interesting. (Or just a more interesting blobby Moroccan civ still led by al-Mansur)

You mean Al-Manslaughter...
I had an idea to make the Kasbah more interesting:

UI: Ksar
Unlocked at engineering, Ksars may never be built in adjacent to each other, and may only be built on flat desert tiles. They increase the :c5strength: defence of the unit stationed on their tile, as well as its HP. +1 :c5food: food, +1 :c5gold: gold, and +1 extra of those yields per each oasis and :trade: trade route passing on or near the ksar, respectively.

UI: Kasbah
Unlocked at guilds, Kasbahs may not be adjacent to each other and may only be built on flat desert tiles. +1 :c5food: food, :c5production: production and :c5gold: gold. +1 extra :c5gold: gold after economics, and +1 :c5production: production if built next to a resource. +1 :c5food: food if built on a river.

UB: Kasbah
Replaces castle. Unlike it, grants +1 :c5culture: culture for you and +1 :c5gold: gold for both you and the :trade: trade route owner per each trade route sent to the city.

So you mean you want a Morrocco under Al-Mansur with the Kasbah and the Gateway UA, and then a modern(er) Morrocco with the Berber cavalry?

Top Bottom