[dev thread] Mad Max Fury Road

I have done this step.
eg:
<English>The rebirth of man</English>
<L1 /><L2 /><L3 /><L4 />
<Chinese>&#20154;&#31867;&#37325;&#29983;</Chinese>

I think I had make some easy mistakes.Now it's Ok.Thanks all the same.My friends would love this mod,I think.

I still have a question which confused me a lot.Are the animals to strong?In the beginning of the game,I rarely explor the map because it's too dangous to do so.When I play the game for the first time,I failed in the second turn.

I still have a question which confused me a lot.Are the animals to strong?In the beginning of the game,I rarely explor the map because it's too dangous to do so.When I play the game for the first time,I failed in the second turn.

This is very good feedback. In this game, the animals are very dangerous! I usually build three warriors in my starting city and send two out to explore. Those two always die. But I can see enough of the nearby area to decide where I should set up my second city. Over time I can build stronger units like the Guardian or Utility Truck, and those are able to survive when the animals attack.

After the apocalypse, the world is not safe!

I got those survivors done. A whole bunch of them.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=280545

The idea is to use 3 different guys in one formation to make it look more improvised. They all share the same texture/animation so it shouldnt be too bad.

The chequered shirt texture is not used atm. You can choose which one you like better - or even relink some of the nifs to use two different shirts.

great stuff refar!

I got those survivors done. A whole bunch of them.

Excellent! I have done a temporary reskin of the crossbow punk (who is also used in the punk biker) to get a crossbow survivor and survivor biker. This gives me "something non-vanilla" for all the early units. Things seem to be on track for a 0.5 release Sunday. I updated the unit status post to show what we have.

I am a little nervous to install the 3.17 patch just before a release, so I won't worry about 3.17 compatibility until after the release.

In the late game, I am having trouble with a game engine bug involving units with negative movement allowance. I am going to try a couple of things tonight and tomorrow, hopefully it will work out.

There have been over 300 downloads in a little over a week, which is great! Hopefully more playtest comments will come rolling in here.

I had run the mod on 3.17. Only to test the units, as i don't have time play a lot.
It does start up, generates the map and allows basic stuff like unit production/movement without any interference.

Crossbow Survivor is on my list next but i was hoping to borrow wome pieces of protective gear (like maybe helmet or shoulder pads) from SeZereth upcomming punks. The plan is to rig the survivor on crossbow with a different texture and some of the said protective gear, to make him more different from the basic variant.

I had run the mod on 3.17. Only to test the units, as i don't have time play a lot.
It does start up, generates the map and allows basic stuff like unit production/movement without any interference.

Crossbow Survivor is on my list next but i was hoping to borrow wome pieces of protective gear (like maybe helmet or shoulder pads) from SeZereth upcomming punks. The plan is to rig the survivor on crossbow with a different texture and some of the said protective gear, to make him more different from the basic variant.

yea, as soon as i am not drunk anymore, i will work on the punks, promised :D

All sorts of notes and comments in no particular order:

The game run seems to run on 317 and 313, as far as I can tell. I agree with the previous poster about getting a sub-forum set up. It makes it a lot easier for people to create threads about balance, unit design, strategies, etc.

Game is definitely not for builders. A UN style victory that unified the people under a single belief might not be a bad idea. Think a mixture of AP in the main game and (another below-average Costner movie) The Postman.

Nukes - I got a lot of them from silos, I was playing on Settler (best way to learn all the new nuances of the game), but they ought to be rarer or they'll totally dominate the balance of the game.

Airfields - Gunships are great, but I'd've thought there'd be a lot more planes hanging around than helicotper gunships. A little variety in the units produced might be interesting.

Speaking of balance, I had no way to control culture, so the thunderdome never did me much good and the lack of luxuries, kept some of my cities in a fairly permanent state of dissatisfaction. Searching some of the ruins might provide "luxury items" - old movies, hit singles, a conch shell(?), that kind of thing. Brewing vodka and whiskey might be another option.

You may want to rethink the ruins design so that it's easier to see which are depots, airfields and city ruins. One possibility would be to use airfields and depots but add smoke to them if they are ruined. Easy to see, intuitive and probably a lot easier to do than coming up with lots of different tiles. You also might want to replace the Goody Huts with something more apocalyptic. The Ruins building (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7660) would do the job.

Finally a few bugs, I'm afraid:

BUG: Leonard Nimoy occassionally says the wrong thing when researching a new tech.

BUG: Some of the TXT startegy links are missing.

BUG: Recycling didn't seem to do anything.

OBSERVATION: Some units could not capture Workers.

COSMETIC: The gas tanker is off-centre, it'd be easier to control if it were centralised.

In the late game, I am having trouble with a game engine bug involving units with negative movement allowance.

I've never programmed in python before, but I'm guessing there's some kind of max() command. Have you tried something like:

unitMove = Max(unitMove,0)

If the unit move is positive, it will be the max, if it is negative, 0 will be the max.

jabie said:
The game run seems to run on 317 and 313, as far as I can tell. I agree with the previous poster about getting a sub-forum set up. It makes it a lot easier for people to create threads about balance, unit design, strategies, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. When I release 0.5 tomorrow, I will start a thread in the modpacks forum. I want to get a little more momentum before starting a whole sub-forum; the only mods with their own sub-forums are really "big league".

Game is definitely not for builders. A UN style victory that unified the people under a single belief might not be a bad idea. Think a mixture of AP in the main game and (another below-average Costner movie) The Postman.

I had thought about re-introducing UN or AP. Actually, I was thinking of the way that state capitols happened in the US Wild West: several different cities could "declare" themselves the capitol and there was a bunch of political maneuvering before somebody won. So I was thinking of making a *national* wonder called the capitol building. Each player could decide which capitol(s) they would recognize and send delegates to. If somebody got all the players to agree they were the capitol, then that might count as a win. I had not worked out all the details yet, any thoughts?

Nukes - I got a lot of them from silos, I was playing on Settler (best way to learn all the new nuances of the game), but they ought to be rarer or they'll totally dominate the balance of the game.

Good feedback, I agree. In version 0.5 I have decreased the probability of nukes by half. By the way, today the frequency of rebuilt units does not vary as you change difficulty levels. I should probably fix that.

I was kind of expecting that the AI's would have some different reaction when somebody got nukes. All you get is a -1 reaction per nuke. I was hoping it would make the AI's more likely to capitulate, or give up more in a negotiation. I'm not sure how to go about getting that effect, but I will give it some more thought.

Airfields - Gunships are great, but I'd've thought there'd be a lot more planes hanging around than helicotper gunships. A little variety in the units produced might be interesting.

More unit variety is a good idea. At an airfield, you might expect fighters, bombers, etc. True air units, other than gunships, need to be based at a city. I will have to think about how to make sure that happens when the unit appears at a ruin. I was also thinking about some kind of airlift capability, to make it easier to move units around fast during the late game.

Speaking of balance, I had no way to control culture, so the thunderdome never did me much good and the lack of luxuries, kept some of my cities in a fairly permanent state of dissatisfaction. Searching some of the ruins might provide "luxury items" - old movies, hit singles, a conch shell(?), that kind of thing. Brewing vodka and whiskey might be another option.

"Some" dissatisfaction is in line with the post-apocalypse setting; I doubt the survivors are very happy! I have added mines in version 0.5, so things like gold, gems and silver help with happiness. Did you find the culture control under education? I had also thought of a resource like "entertainment archives" in the ruins, that would act like hit records, but I haven't put that in yet. I was thinking that the resource marker for it would be a ruined "HOLLYWOOD" sign. I like the idea of a brewery; that could go with any grain resource. Where is the conch shell from?

You may want to rethink the ruins design so that it's easier to see which are depots, airfields and city ruins. One possibility would be to use airfields and depots but add smoke to them if they are ruined. Easy to see, intuitive and probably a lot easier to do than coming up with lots of different tiles. You also might want to replace the Goody Huts with something more apocalyptic. The Ruins building (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...o=file&id=7660) would do the job.

I have used the "bomb shelter" building for goody huts in version 0.5, which I think is much better for a post-apocalyptic feel. Regarding the graphic interaction between ruins and the resources, I agree. When you build the appropriate improvement, the ruin feature goes away. That I could do because there is the ability like "chop" which removes a feature when you build an improvement. But, what you are suggesting is different. I'm not quite sure how to do that. I'd like the "ruin" feature to disappear when you discover salvaging, which reveals the resource. The only problem is that in multiplayer, some players may have salvaging and some may not, and I don't see how to control things so that each player sees the right thing.

Overall, I would like to have some kind of graphic redesign of the city ruin feature so that it interacts better with the resources, and I hope I can find a graphics volunteer for that.

BUG: Leonard Nimoy occassionally says the wrong thing when researching a new tech. BUG: Some of the TXT startegy links are missing. OBSERVATION: Some units could not capture Workers.

Can you give me some specifics? I have not filled in tech strategy, because as far as I can tell, they never appear in the game. Only the pedia entries appear. For capturing workers, gunships are the only ones which should not capture. There is a flag bNoCapture, which seems to be set correctly for all the other units. On the voice quotes on my new or renamed technologies, I don't know what to do; I guess I can remove the sounds. Would that be better? Here are the technologies I added/renamed, and the quotes which they give. Let me know if you see other ones.

Refining: Steel
Administration: Code Of Laws
Civic Projects: Civil Service
Small Arms: Gunpowder
Automatic Weapons: Rifling
Heavy Weapons: Artillery
Salvaging: Metal Casting
Engines: Replaceable Parts
Highway: Railroad

BUG: Recycling didn't seem to do anything.

It increases the probability of rebuilt units. This is not enough to justify its existence, and I removed it in 0.5.

COSMETIC: The gas tanker is off-centre, it'd be easier to control if it were centralised.

I am hoping to get a graphics update on the tanker from asioasioasio.

I want to get a little more momentum before starting a whole sub-forum; the only mods with their own sub-forums are really "big league".

What the heck, "big league" is in the eye of the beholder. I have sent an email to the mods to request a sub-forum. There are more posts in this dev thread than at least one of the sub-forums, and at least one of the sub-forums never even released anything.

Does anybody know offhand if there are any rules I have to follow to get a sub-forum? Or just request from the mods?

More unit variety is a good idea. At an airfield, you might expect fighters, bombers, etc. True air units, other than gunships, need to be based at a city. I will have to think about how to make sure that happens when the unit appears at a ruin. I was also thinking about some kind of airlift capability, to make it easier to move units around fast during the late game.
Air units can stay in Forts. The XML tag "bActAsCity" or something similar, makes the fort act as fort (allow ships and air units to enter). I guess if you give this to the Rebuilt Airfield it will allow airplanes.

Personally i feel however, that Airplanes are something that should stay off for now. The tech tree is very shallow yet, so the Planes might wait for a future expansion of the tech tree into a "Re-Civilized Age".

One could argue that modern combat airplanes need a higher stage of re-development to be maintained and operated, which is not present in a "Surviving Civ" at first.

Where is the conch shell from?

Lord of the Flies, William Golding. Plot spoilers follow....

A bunch of public schoolboys get trapped on an island and the veils of society slowly disintegrate around them, whilst they create their own mythology including their own religious symbols - Piggy's glasses (which are used for starting fires, and eventually get smashed) and a conch shell (which they original blow to try and attract attention - but it ultimately metamorphises in a sacred symbol, whoever has the conch is the leader).

The subtext is that societal norms are fragile and, unless reinforced by a repsonsible authority (in this case represented by the arrival of the British navy at the end of the book) we are all capable of committing hurrendous crimes - a point emphasised by a hullicination / dream of Simon, one of the more thoughtful children who can egins to perceive the degeneration. The Lord of the Flies is an alternative title of Beelzebub, a demonic servant of Satan. There are themes of class too. It's telling that Piggy, who is murdered, is working class and that Jack, the leader of the more feral children was originally a well-respected school pupil.

Stories about zombies (or Triffids or the apocalypse or somesuch) follow up on very similar themes. The true monsters in almost zombie movie you care to mention are not the zombie - they just eat people's brains, that's what you're meant to do when you're a zombie - but the humans, whose petty squabbles and power-plays inevitably lead to tragedy.

Maybe conch shells could be a sea-bound luxury - a cheeky wink to the literati.

The riderless horse unit to roam the map magically materialized on my hard drive. You might need to play with the fBattleDistance setting in the Art Define a bit, to make it move closer on attack (Pictures are with <fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9890

And another quickie - this one should be in time for the upcoming 0.5 yet. Realighned Oil Truck nif - it's still unanimated, but should appear centered in the plot now.

Top Bottom