[Development] Larger Map Phase I

Leoreth

Blue Period
The new map is still under development. It is not meant to be played on. The new map is meant to be first released in the main DoC mod, in the way I intend to. This is a community project that I invested a lot of time and effort into to aggregate, curate, and research. Do not create modmods using this map before it is official released as part of the mod's develop branch.

I have finally completed my preparations to start collaborating on the new map. You can address a working state of the new map, including all additional resources and my changes, via git on the "map" branch.

We are now ready to start Phase I of the collaborative process to develop the new map. This includes three specific areas of work:

1. Further suggestions for the shape/terrain of the map itself, i.e. terrain changes, shape of the landmasses, resource placement, rivers etc. Basically anything that you can visually edit in world builder.

2. Suggestions for map evolution over time, especially spawning/disappearing resources.

3. Suggestions for the "canonical locations" of major cities. By this I mean cities that are the most important to be represented in most games. It is important to nail these down first so we can adjust resources etc. accordingly, and their locations provide a good starting point to develop the city name and settler maps later on.

As you can see, this is only the first phase, and excludes other important aspects like settler and city name maps and a whole array of other areas to work on. Not all prerequisites are met for these, but more importantly they largely depend on the outcome of the above efforts. So I prepared everything for these goals so we can start working on them while I focus my attention elsewhere.

I have created a separate thread for each of these three with more detailed instructions on how to make suggestions etc, just follow the links.

I want to again emphasise that proceeding with this in an organised way is important. Even though you might want to get to a playable map as soon as possible, please do not attempt to create any playable versions of the map. I will not look kindly on these kinds of projects or integration of the map into any modmods before it becomes part of the main mod develop branch.

Last edited:
Are you planning to have the "canonical locations" indicated on the map, i.e. through landmarks or something?

I have created separate threads for each of the efforts described above that include more detailed information on how to best suggest anything.

It's available via git.

I am sorry but I cannot find the file you speak of under the 'maps category' I must be looking for the wrong item in the wrong place. The GIT says the map category was last updated four months ago.

The WB board is empty, so can't do some adjusts by WB.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0244.JPG

The "map" branch. If it doesn't show up in the list of branches, do a fetch of the DoC remote first.

I made a PR which fixes a pythex that disables the WB from working.

I am sorry but I cannot find the file you speak of under the 'maps category' I must be looking for the wrong item in the wrong place. The GIT says the map category was last updated four months ago.
click on "branches" and pick "map". It's not in the main repository

The "map" branch. If it doesn't show up in the list of branches, do a fetch of the DoC remote first.

I made a PR which fixes a pythex that disables the WB from working.
Still pretty new to git, do I need to git clone a separate folder for the map branch or can I access it through my main DoC folder somehow? Still not clear on how branches work and all that.

If you have tortoise git, you can switch branches by right-cliking on the DoC folder. Tortoisegit -> Switch checkout. Select the branch you want to use and switch to that.

If you have tortoise git, you can switch branches by right-cliking on the DoC folder. Tortoisegit -> Switch checkout. Select the branch you want to use and switch to that.
Okay so, I switched the branch but how do I open the map?

Out of curiosity, what will be the improvement for aquatic amber?

Last edited:
As in History Rewritten, Whaling Boats still need to be renamed Harvesting Boats.

Ok, here's some elementary suggestions, mainly in China an nearby regions(include some city names), also some suggestions about Britian and Japan.
Spoiler :

China and nearby
X:128 Y:50 The Yangtze River enters to the sea, but not the lake.
X:127 Y:51 The Huaihe River enters to the Yangtze River in north of Nanjing.
X:127 Y:46 The Grassland here turns to Hill, represent the Wuyi Mountain; Sugar turns to tea, represent the oolong tea.
X:127/128 Y:46 Add the Minjiang River(Fujian Province).
X:125 Y:44 Move sugar to 1E(X:126 Y:44).
X:128 Y:51 Remove jade here, Jiangsu isn't a famous origin of jade.
X:124 Y:53 Add a gold here, to substitute the removed jade in Jiangsu. Shandong is an important origin of gold.
X:128 Y:54 Add a salt here.
X:124 Y:49 Change the type of Hanjiang River.
X:121 Y:48 Change the Grassland here to Hill.
X:119 Y:49 Change the Hill here to Grassland.
X:120 Y:50 Change the Grassland here to Hill.
X:120 Y:48 Change the Grassland here to Hill.
X:119 Y:46-50 Add the Minjiang River(Sichuan Province)
X:121 Y:52 Change the Hill here to Grassland.
X:120 Y:54 Move the Coal here to X:123 Y:57, Shanxi is an important origin of coal.
X:123 Y:57 Move the incense here to X:122 Y:56.
X:122 Y:58 Add a horse here, Inner Mongolia is an important origin of horse.
X:123 Y:56 Move the wheat here to X:124 Y:54.
X:125 Y:55 Add the Haihe River here.
X:131 Y:61 Add rice here, spawn after 1800ad. Jilin and Heilongjiang become an important origin of rice in modern China.
X:130 Y:58 Add deer heer.
X:119 Y:54 Change the Grassland here to Hill, and move sheep 1N.
X:117 Y:45 Add marble here. Here is the city of Dali, marble in China is called "Dali stone", first found here in Chinese history.
X:117 Y:44 Not sure if there should be an amber, Yunnan is not so famous with amber. I prefer to substitute it with tea, to represent Pu'er tea.
X:109 Y:58 Add sheep here.
X:107 Y:56 Add camel here.
X:113 Y:49 Add cow here, to represent yak in Tibet.
X:114 Y:49 Add horse here, spawn after 600ad.
X:126 Y:45 Add rice here.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0245.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0246.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0247.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0248.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0249.JPG

Spoiler :

Britian and Ireland
Add Shannon River in Ireland.
Add Trent River in England.
Add a uranium in Scotland.(Since the 4 other permanent members of the security council all have it in their core)
I think the Britain Island should be enlarged, but haven't gotten a concrete plan.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0250.JPG

Spoiler :

Japan
X:139 Y:62 Change the Grassland here to Coast.
X:140 Y:62 Change the Coast here to Grassland.
X:139 Y:61 Add a cow here, spawn after 1800ad.
Make the 2 rivers in Japan 1 plot longer.
X:136 Y:51 Add a coal here.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0251.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0252.JPG

Save has been uploaded.

Attachments

• Some changes in Big Map by soul-breathing.CivBeyondSwordSave
    165.7 KB · Views: 119
Please make your suggestions in the threads linked in the opening post. There are further instructions on how your suggestions should be formatted.

Top Bottom