New Map 1.18 City Name Suggestions

Few suggestions from the top of my head:

BM18 Köln -> add Keulen (Dutch)

BU21 Wien -> add Vienne (French), Viena (Spanish/Portuguese), Wieden (Polish), Vena (Russian), Viyana (Turkish), Wenen (Dutch), Viden (Ukrainian/South Russian)

CB12 Narva -> Rugodiv when owned by medieval Russians, Narva from Renaissance on

CG13 Tver -> Kalinin when communist. Tiberias in Latin.

CD14 Vitebsk -> add Witebsk (Polish/German)

CD18 Kyiv -> add Kijow (Polish), Kiew (German)

CH14 Moskva -> add Moskwa (Polish), Moscua (Latin), Mosca (Italian), Moscow (English), Moscou (French) Moskou (Dutch), Moskau (German), Moskova (Turkish)

CL23 Ordzhonikidze (is named after a Bolshevik leader), should be Dzhaudzhikau if founded/owned by non-Russians, as it is the Ossetian name, Vladikavkaz if owned by non-communist Russians.

Hello. I checked the table of city names and the table of settlers and I had a question about cell CO15. This cell has a full 10 points for a settler, but by name, this cell is a rather minor city of Dimitrovgrad. Perhaps this is a mistake and you wanted to make a level 10 settler in the cell of the cities of Simbirsk / Ulyanovsk or Samara.

Settler maps and city name maps are not necessarily in sync.

Settler maps and city name maps are not necessarily in sync.
I see the cells in both tables mean the same point on the map in the game, at least in this case.
If you understand this, then I would like to clarify on synchronization. It is not necessary that the publicly available version of these cards is up-to-date, or are the principles of filling both cards different?
I'm interested in this point, because judging by these maps, the remaining 20 cells of the settler map with level 10 or more correspond to large and important cities in Russia. Only this cell is different.

It means that I did not cross reference the city names maps when creating the settler maps and will adjust either one or the other over time.

CH14 Moskva -> add Moskwa (Polish), Moscua (Latin), Mosca (Italian), Moscow (English), Moscou (French) Moskou (Dutch), Moskau (German), Moskova (Turkish)
I think it is necessary and sufficient to add only Polish and French.

Hi, I changed and added a few Roman, Greek etc names of two cities in the levant, as I think that they would better represent the historical importance of the area.

1) I added the Roman, Greek and Byzantine name of the Damasque tile, and set it to Caesarea Philippi \ Banias, as it was an important city in the region both commercially and religiously since Alexander the Great, and during Roman and Byzantine rule.

2) I added Beit shean (with its Greek, Byzantine, Latin and Egyptian names) to the Amman tile, as it was more important during the Classical period, being the capital of the Byzantine province of Palaestina Secunda, leading city in the Decapolis (a union of Roman cities in the Levant), and a major Egyptian administration center in the bronze age.

Google drive link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MrjHhHBDl2AlRv14ewFFYZm0iDfbEy4mfTuoQdhjOEE/edit?usp=sharing

Attachments

• IMG_20230916_153444.jpg
    IMG_20230916_153444.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 184
Hello. I've been keeping a separate version of the city name map for years now, with updates independent of the original version by LacsiraxAriscal (except most of the New World which I copied over at one point in the past). This does not have as many historical names as the first one we have, but if you want to use this as a secondary reference or for cross reference, just go ahead :)

Another batch of city name suggestions, this time regarding Persia/Iran and the Caucasus. It was really challenging and fun learning about obscure ancient Persian, Hellenic, Elamite, and other Bronze Age sites in the region, and I even was able to include some Kushan (from the Saka/Indo-Saka kingdoms) names. As usual, I’d love some feedback.

I’m unsure about next research. I was tempted to look at Central Asia, Khazar/South Russia or even going to India, but probably will make a take at Anatolia/Turkey.

Attachments

• DoC 1.18 Cities.xlsx
    264.1 KB · Views: 24
More suggestions, this time covering Anatolia. Considering how many civs interact and can settle the region in the entire timespan of the game, we have quite many names there that includes Hittites, Babylonian (mostly Akkadian), Assyrian, Greek, Persian, Celtic (considering I didn't found authentic Celtic names, I've added the main Galatian sites in Greek, since they became Hellenized pretty early), Latin, Byzantine, Arabic, Independent (mostly Armenian but also Kurdish), Turkic (covering from the Seljuks to the Anatolian beyliks), Italian (mostly Genoese colonies and later Italian Dodecanese territories), and Turkish (Ottoman to modern Turkey) with some translations to modern European languages, besides few Egyptian, Phoenician, and Iranian additions. Again, always open to feedback!

Next, I'm planning to look at Central Asia.

Attachments

• DoC 1.18 Cities.xlsx
    267.9 KB · Views: 35
More suggestions, this time covering Anatolia. Considering how many civs interact and can settle the region in the entire timespan of the game, we have quite many names there that includes Hittites, Babylonian (mostly Akkadian), Assyrian, Greek, Persian, Celtic (considering I didn't found authentic Celtic names, I've added the main Galatian sites in Greek, since they became Hellenized pretty early), Latin, Byzantine, Arabic, Independent (mostly Armenian but also Kurdish), Turkic (covering from the Seljuks to the Anatolian beyliks), Italian (mostly Genoese colonies and later Italian Dodecanese territories), and Turkish (Ottoman to modern Turkey) with some translations to modern European languages, besides few Egyptian, Phoenician, and Iranian additions. Again, always open to feedback!

Next, I'm planning to look at Central Asia.
Looks great good job 👍

Top Bottom