1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Development] Resource Spawn Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, May 26, 2018.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

This is the thread where you can suggest resource spawns and expirations, or any other ways the map can evolve over time (disappearing peaks, disappearing flood plains etc.).

This is part of Phase I of developing the new map, see here for a general overview.

The ultimate goal here is to create another version of the current 3000 BC scenario that includes the "final" state of the map after all resources have spawned etc. marked with the year in which they spawn (I will push this map soon for the purpose of pull requests). I will then use this to work backwards to create the Python code that spawns all these resources.

If you just want to suggest a resource spawn/disappearance, edit the resource in with WB and then place a marker on top of it with the year in which it should spawn.

For larger changes (e.g. multiple floodplains disappearing), just treat this like any other map change and follow the guidelines from the map change suggestions thread.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. Bautos42

Bautos42 Warlord

Have you actually taken a look at the resource spawn file I uploaded a while ago?

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I haven't, but suggestions like this are hard to review in file format anyway.

4. mysterious_stalker

mysterious_stalker Chieftain

Spoiler Mesopotamia coast change :

In ancient times, that's about how the coast looked like. None of the ancient civilizations founded cities on the three tiles I turned into coast here. I honestly think it's fine if the Persian Gulf doesn't really have ports until the Arabs come in with Basra 1N of the Oil.

BenZL43, TJDowling, 1SDAN and 4 others like this.
  5. TJDowling

TJDowling Prince

So is the plan currently to change the coastline during the game or is it just set to the ancient coastline for the entire game and you're advocating putting the modern coastline in effect because the Mesopotamian civs never founded cities on the coast anyway?

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The problem I have with this is that the terrain will look weird when you change the coastline dynamically during the game.

7. borhap88

borhap88 Prince

Another suggestion to Italy. I'd shift wheat resource 2E (from current x=65, y=57 to x=67,y=57) in order to be workable for Florence or Venice in 600AD start AND self.createResource(65, 57, iRice) # Vercelli in 1850 in order to provide more food to modern Italian Milan just like planned in Resources.py.

Attached Files:

8. mysterious_stalker

mysterious_stalker Chieftain

What I had in mind was to make the Gulf bigger at first (ancient coastline) and shrink it later (modern coastline). But... not sure if this has enough importance to get into the game. Still, this is what actually happened, so it would be nice.

Yeah, granted. Kashgar has this too on the old map though. But this is a bigger area and it's likely going to get looked on a lot. Do as you think.

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I would like to represent this in some way at least, maybe putting marshes there instead of floodplains is a solution? Not sure.

10. trevor

trevor Warlord

Only until the game has been saved/reloaded.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Yes, but you cannot force this upon the player, and you never know when or how often it is going to happen.

trevor likes this.
  12. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

Some resourse spawn suggestions in China and Japan
    Spoiler :
    X:131 Y:61 Add rice here, spawn after 1800ad. Jilin and Heilongjiang become an important origin of rice in modern China.
    X:114 Y:49 Add horse here, spawn after 600ad. For Tibetan UU.
    X:123 Y:56 Add a potato here, spawn after 1550AD. From the New World.
    X:119 Y:52 Add a potato here, spawn after 1550AD. From the New World.
    X:129 Y:60 Replace the millet here with corn, spawn after 1600ad. From the New World.
    X:139 Y:61 Add a cow here, spawn after 1800ad. The Development of Hokkaido.
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0262.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0263.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0264.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0265.JPG

Next time I'll try to turn some plots in South China to marshes at beginning, and change to normal terrains after XXX year. This would make sure the population in South China not so large in Ancient time.

Leoreth likes this.
  13. hnrysml

hnrysml Warlord

I can't be sure of my sources as the main info for rice production history seems to be connected to rice corporations, but I think rice should be in the Po Valley from about 1500.

Although roughly around 1850, under Cavour advanced irrigation systems made rice growing more productive, and, multiple rice varieties started being grown, rice has been a staple in the Po Valley (and throughout much of Italy) since soon after it was first documented being cultivated there in 1475.

I think this would also synergise well with gameplay and give the Italians a buff for the early Renaissance era.

14. TJDowling

TJDowling Prince

Whoa, slow down. No need to cripple the Yue.

15. borhap88

borhap88 Prince

You're right. Make rice spawn in 1850 reflects its high production from this time on (Italy is top rice exporter in EU), but it could appear before for gameplay reasons.

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I would like to note that the Vercelli spawn does not exist in the current map (it's only commented out code). Doing this will make it very likely that rice spawns under a fully developed Town, I'm not sure if anyone was willing to give it up.

hnrysml likes this.
  17. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Dutch resources spawn:

- As I mentioned earlier, move the cow 1 N.
    - Before Dutch spawn (1500 like on the current map seems appropriate), a wheat resources spawn at what it now the cow resources. (63, 64)
    - At the same turn, a fish spawns at (61, 65) or (61, 66). I think (61, 65) gives a resource distribution which is most pleasing to the eye.
    - And remove the marshes in 1500 AD of course.

There are preplaced in the 1700 AD scenario ofcourse.

These resources are kinda obvious and are copied from the current map. But I mention it anyway, just in case.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  18. citis

citis Deity

Wine should be present only in Greece and spawn gradually over mediterranean.

ozqar likes this.
  19. hnrysml

hnrysml Warlord

This would only make sense for the Italian peninsula, in other regions, it was the Phoenicians who spread viticulture, and I read on the wiki that in Spain wine has been grown since 3000-4000 BCE

20. borhap88

borhap88 Prince

Nobody will settle there but Greeks before Roman spawns, so I don't see the point.

ozqar and Leoreth like this.