DG Website: Suggestion Box

Octavian X, we had that in the last game stickied at the top of the main forum. Are you saying you would like that content on the website as well? Or a link to that thread? I don't see a problem with a link, but having the content would require more (frequent) updating of the site which I think we should keep to a minimum.

I agree with zorven here.

I believe that the main goal of our website should be to grant easy accessibility to information that already exists in our forums. The only things we should really need to update within the site would be maps(national and provincial),various links, and possibly a brief synopsis of goings-on(The DemoGame News?).

Incidentally, I have been tossing around the newspaper idea and I have a feeling that if it is done right, we can build and maintain interest in the game by merely staying current. The news should have a prominent place on the website's front page, with a link to the latest edition.

Back to maps. For provincial maps, what are the chances of using clickable bitmaps to link directly to cities(aka mayoral threads)? Once again, a user-friendly suggestion that may maintain interest in the game. Since I would like to see an emphasis on mini-RPG cities, this would be the perfect way to get people involved in this.

While the previous two suggestions are not of immediate need, one thing we need to ensure is that the entire site is linked to the DG4 forums. While I see that some progress has been made in accomplishing this, I want this process to be seamless. If Fionn would like, I will gladly try to list all areas that need attention.

zorvern: More or less about what I was thinking about. The problem with maintaining a list like that on the forums is that: maintainence. If the thread creator disappears, we have to rely on mods who may be unwilling. An html verion would be easier to update by a larger poll of people.

DZ: Do you remember, back in DG2, donsig's Die Fanatischen Zeiten? Each turn chat, donsig would write up an imformative summary of that chat's events. I envision a corp of reporters responsible for creating such reports and posting them in the DG website. This would make the website truly useful.

Maps: We may be getting overly optimistic when it comes to regularly updated maps. I know from personal experience (and I'm sure FortyJ can testify as well) that it takes a helluva lot of time to compile new maps of the nation each turn. If the website is to have a maps section, that section should be limited to generic provincial maps that are updated when either cities are added, or when the borders are changed.

Any cities list would certainly be limited to a list, unless individual mayors were willing to take on the task of updating pictures with regularity.

Originally posted by Octavian X
zorvern: More or less about what I was thinking about. The problem with maintaining a list like that on the forums is that: maintainence. If the thread creator disappears, we have to rely on mods who may be unwilling. An html verion would be easier to update by a larger poll of people.

I handled that potential problem last game by requiring that the DP post links to the save after each turn chat. I think it worked pretty well. I think this requirement should be in the CoL / Cos. This thread should be THE place to go to get saves, not hunting down individual game play instruction threads. Take a look at the thread

Maps: We may be getting overly optimistic when it comes to regularly updated maps. I know from personal experience (and I'm sure FortyJ can testify as well) that it takes a helluva lot of time to compile new maps of the nation each turn. If the website is to have a maps section, that section should be limited to generic provincial maps that are updated when either cities are added, or when the borders are changed.

I agree. Maps do take alot of time and adding hyperlinked maps would add even more time. Like I proposed last game I think that a simple hyperlink table near the map would be just as effective (granted, not as pretty).

Top Bottom