Did you ever use the Governor to run your cities ?

Do you ever use the Governor to run your cities ?

• Yes

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • No

Votes: 54 61.4%

• Total voters
if i am playing a pure war game, and am too lazy to micromanage the cities, i use it, but i only use the "Mood" control option. i dont like unexpected revolts in Veii, when i am busy destroying the Aztecs. :)

Use the governor to emphasize production in resisting cities. Every turn there's a chance your troops quell resistance, but rebels become unhappy citizens, which is potential for riots.
In those cities I typically want to turn the pop into workers, so production is best.
The governor will act before your turn and change a few peeps to clown faces, before they can riot.

I usually play Regent and generally let the governor run things unless there is a problem like zero or slow city growth or disorder to manage. I generally don't use default builds.

I am more interested in exploring, infrastucture, research, trading, diplomacy and war.

Because it does not properly use the citizens.

I use it for freshly conquered cities until I have finished the war.

I generally set production to wealth so that at least it does not screw up badly.
Using production set to offensive unit or defensive unit often produces obsolete stuff or unwanted units.

I play at Monarch level and I generally allow my governers to manage citizen moods by default although I sometimes take over for exceptions (like when I'm racing to build a wonder as quick as possible and be sure that I'm getting max number of shields possible.

Manually managing citizen moods is just too tedious to bother with. Even by using one of these utilities (like CivAssist) to alert you to cities about to go into disorder, you've still got the hastle of loading in your saved game each turn. I'd rather not bother with it generally.

I never let my governers manage production though.

I think this game is about finding the right level of complexity for you. Beyond a certain point, the game becomes too tediously complex micromanaging details. It is better to stay at a lower level and still enjoy the game than force yourself to micromanage so many details that the game becomes less enjoyable.

Personally, I have no intention of ever going up to Emporer and above. I know that in order to do so, I will probably have to micromanage more than I do now and I know that it will just become too tedious for me to enjoy.

Do I use the governor? Yes. Do I use it to manage moods? No.

Smart said:
You could use CivAssist or MapStat to control riots. Those programs also have nice functions which will help with MM.

Those programs don't help with riots due to WW or when quelling resistance. You need the governor for those.

I like to use the happiness governor in a city that is building a wonder so I'll never lose a turn to a riot.

I use the governor to run my cities maybe 3% of the time. I mostly only use it if my empire gets far too large for me to manage.

My vote is 'no' and my reasoning simple: if I can beat several AI's with huge advantages, how am I to trust a 'governer' that is run by the same software on the same computer ...?

BCLG100 said:
Only use him to make sure my citizens dont get annoyed.

this means u use the governer, cause he governs the rest too.

i use it all the time. really anoying to check all your cities each turn. espacially when at war.

I don't. I like to micro-manage and I think governors make bad choices most of the time.

Yes, always.

But only for "focus production" so you get more shields in the IBT when your city grows as the new tile will be a high shield tile.
Why is this important ? because food isn't carried over and commerce isn't either; only shields. That way you can make sure to get a 4 turn settler factory with 6 shields - 6 shields (+2 for a forest in the IBT) - 7 shields - 7 shields (+2 for the forest in the IBT) and 6+8+7+9 = 30 = settler.

Same works for other things you want to get build as well, of course.

Top Bottom