Dirk's deity game

Well played and well written Dirk. If you ever get a chance to catch your breath and consolidate that juicy land, you will be in fine shape indeed. Good stuff.

Thx, catching breath is always a problem on deity as the pace is fast and solidly working and improving land often has to take a backseat to more opportunistic things like whipping units or starving cities for gpp. The land is save though and will be used to good effect eventually.

^thx, are you sure i've won already? Watch the 1070 Ad update. I'm not totally sure that continuing against Toku was best btw, it was the fun way to play for sure.

that land looks great

and toku as neighbor usually doesn't leave room for too many options. Might've been better to leave him for later, but probably wouldn't be as fun.

Great game Dirk, I like your gambit of letting Toku wear himself out against your defenses and not doing more than necessary as you continue to tech and put yourself in a dominant position.
Also good walkthrough of all your city screens, it makes it easy to follow your game, looking forward to the second part of your update! :goodjob:

Uxmal 1S would cost a spice, one further to east would have been possible, i needed the city to block Peri though he was coming with a settler/chariot combo. This was the sure way to block him. I'm not unhappy about it's placement actually.

Unfortunately it doesn't show up in the screenshot but Mayapan 1N of wheat'd squander a fish, But 1 NE of wheat doesn't look so bad, i'll check when i load the save again.

Settling on the spice does net you the 3:commerce: city square, and when coupled with the coast/ocean to river tiles trade-off I do believe it is worth it.

I did not see the fish tile (and it is visible), but even after further consideration I still seem to prefer the site 1N of wheat. And yes, that says sometimes you gotta ignore a seafood. My reasons are like this: I see you are "blocking off" the AI into your territory and are doing a very good job at that. But the land out there is so rough (commerce neg, etc.) that you may want to let the AI get until it becomes less of a burden to your empire.

And also these cities fit in to the overall civ style better. Do you see the dotmap these cities give you? As much as anybody (Wash, etc.), the Mayans prefer large cities. I fear you are playing the map a little too much as if you were organized.

With blocking pretty much accomplished, Normally I'd say your settling a little too far out maintenance-wise, especially with the river so close. But 1N of wheat is such a commerce monster that it beats out the river for 5th city.

And then look to take Nagoya and end the war with Japan. Befriend them as they'll only have border tensions against you.

Made 2 shots of the city sites you mentioned.

Indeed settling 1S on a spice adds a few river tiles, otoh, these tiles'll be worked by Mayapan, the city on the grass hill. Not only givers the spice alot of commerce, it's also 3 food. it's really a good tile. Most important reason to settle there'd be for me the cultural pressure i'm facing now. But Peri's probably going to go in the future.

Second screenshot puts the fish in the picture, i wouldn't want to miss out on that tile. Iirc i don't even have fish as a resource yet.

You're right that i play as if i'm organized, putting down more cities that overlap a little than a few big ones. On this map that's no problem imo, it's a great start so i have lots of villages and towns (and spices) to pay for the cities. It's also playing style, i like to play this way, i can often find a way to keep maintenance in check.

Taking Nagoya in itself won't help me much i feel, there'll be heavy cultural pressure on it from Toku and Ham. I agree that making peace might have been the best option, i should have done it earlier in that case. As it is i'll fight on as i'm beginning to get a military tech lead on Japan. research rate'll drop indeed as a consequence, i'll pay supply costs for the troops and maintenance for the cities i take.

Update until 1070AD, i haven't played further so suggestions on how to continue are welcome.

325 AD
Nagoya captured, 1 cat lost.

Lose it again on purpose 350 AD as i don't want to lose the injured units there, recapture 375 AD. City's mine now. I'm taking time out to heal troops, part of my stack ventures south to pickup a barb city there. I also found the wheat/fish city in the south, it's a great spot and it'll pay for itself rapidly,growing and working cottages.

375 AD Paper, get a map and see my neighbours are not impressive.
450 AD Machinery partly traded for Paper
520 AD I capture Etruscan the barb city in the south

Toku keeps suiciding stacks,he's teched HBR and 80% of his offensive units are HA's now. Most of his stacks don't reach my cities as the 20+ xp phants make mincemeat out of this.

620 AD Engineering

700 AD
After getting paper and some map reading i thought i was winning out right as Snowlywhite suggested, Peri and especially Ham are very small. There's no way they'll keep up later.I'll be strongest on my continent for sure and what can the other continent possibly have to offer? Well...

Meet Boudica the fury from hell, we know what she looks like here's an overview of her land:

She doubles no2 (currently Peri) in score. I can't see upon first meeting if she's planning on someone as we don't have any mutual acquaintances. Shortly after i find she's wheoohrn. Must be some of us since the ais on her own continent have vassalized peacefully to her (smart move, i'm actually happy they did this).

What to think of this? I radically alter my ideas about who my friends are in this game. Can be only one and she has to be pleased. I get her to cautious with some welcome gifts. Boudica's not the best techer in the world, her behavior'll be similar to Julius's behavior in Gliese's first deity game. She's so big that there'll come a time when she techs pretty fast. At least once i get her to pleased she won't attack me.

780 AD Peri techs lib, probaby his last significant action this game.

800 AD i'm finally before the gates of Tokyo. Slowly but surely my stack's been growing and it's significant now. Tokyo falls easily.

Have to heal again, then move on to Kyoto.

Maintenance's rising fast. I can see why Slaze's worried about that. I'ts reflected in the tech screen

Helped by some gold i tech edu 900 AD, i hold off on trading for the moment since i can't get anything good out of it now.

War still hasn't gotten me anything tangible apart from GG's. Nagoya's mediocre at the best of times and it's under cultural pressure. Tokyo'll be good once i've freed the northern gems, it only costs maintenance now.

Just before i'm arriving at Kyoto Toku techs longbows. Well it's almost 1000 AD so i can't complain about this. Battle here is grim and takes 3 rounds.

In the end Toku's reinforcements arrive to late to save this city so i take it.
I have lost all my trebs and half of my cats, especially losing the trebs hurts, maybe i should have sacked all the cats so i could have kept the trebs.
There are some compelling reasons to end the war now

Making peace now redeclaring later'll earn me a negative diplo modifier with Ham/Peri, I thought this would be important as i wanted to keep Ham/Peri friendly. Situation is altered however as i'll switch out of hindu in the future.

I really need infra and some techs or i'll fall out of the tech trade circle, since i'm on offense now i suffer ww in addition.

Toku's offering Osaka for peace, now that seems to be a very good city, it will also relieve the cultural pressure on east Kyoto. Toku's out of the game now, ill come for him later.

Subsequently i get a bit lucky in tech trading, go for gunpowder, turns out no one has it when i'm finished 1050 AD, this enables me to trade myself back into the circle.

1050 AD: Trade gunpowder for guilds + some gold
1060 AD: guilds + gunpowder for pp
gunpowder for optics and gold
1070 AD: guilds and edu for astro, made this trade with Boudica.
gunpowder for banking + gold

Essentially i got guilds-banking-pp-optics and astro in 3 turns. Also some 700 gold. I could have had much more but then i would have had to trade with ham and he's Boudica's worst enemy.

Especially astro helps immediately. I get 420 bpt without much loss now, since i have some 800 spare gold now i can get chemistry in 4 turns i'm sure to have a monopoly for a few turns on that too since no one had gunpowder. Haven't got much gpp and GA's so there's some good things in store.

Boudica has declared on Peri this turn, that's a relief, he probably gave her nothing on first meeting.I'm thinking of joining this war to release some of the cultural pressure on my cities and earning positive modifiers with Boudica.I'll move my stack south this turn to check out the situation over there.I may have to watch out for a Toku backstab though.

I'll probably have to face Boudica in the future in a direct fight or a space race. I may have to bribe Boudica to peace with Peri in the near future as i don't want her to take out Peri completely. She has 37% of land and 44% of pop atm. Well these numbers include 1/2 of her vassals of course so it's not that bad.

In my previous post i mentioned saying something about the gains/losses of this war.

On the positive side

I've got 4 cities and Toku's severely weakened, i've got some 30 units that can be upgraded later too some with lots of xp. Tokyo and Osaka are already good, Kyoto'll be ok too. I also have a good base now to take the rest of his land.

I've got 4 GG's one a medic III, 3 will make academies after MS, a tech i'll certainly not overlook this time. With all the cities i have i can spit out units like no tomorrow. Unfortunately Boudica'll do the same, the game might crash before we actually meet.

Negative side,

I would certainly have gotten lib and i would have had oxford now for some 10-15 turns. Research would probably have been 700 bpt already with the good land so steel and rifles would at least be very near. On the other hand i still would have had to build most of the army.

Since it looks like i'll reach steel in short time anyway and research'll be fine after oxford and some banks i think the positives outweigh the negatives, could have been different if i hadn't been able to trade myself back in.

Apart from Boudica position's obviously very good, i'm building libraries now in the southern cities, i already have forges, i'll whip uni's next then settle the stone and build oxford.

Overview, in spoilers since this post is already very screenshot heavy:

Land and relations

Spoiler :

cities
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Remoulado AD-1070.CivBeyondSwordSave
    296 KB · Views: 56
Wow... That is some impressive waring. It's good that you got Kyoto, with Pyramids and Mausoleum. I see some interesting unit production in the future under extended Golden Age + Police State + three Military Academies and a HE. Kyoto itself looks like a good bet for a military city, with lots of mines, cows, horses and an MI in it already. Of course, it has an Academy and Scotland Yard in there, just to make your choice more complicated. :lol:

I'm surprised at how little infrastructure you have in most cities, but I guess that's understandable seeing how many units you had to build! :lol: I don't even want to think what's gonna happen if you and Boudica are the last two left alive...

same opinion as before :p

boudica's land is far from impressive, yours is, imho anything is open bar domi(though probably even that, but then boudica usually prioritizes mil. techs). I'd go cultural for a change, even if it can be pretty boring. But really... floodplains >>> desert.

I'd kick peri too since... hey, it's free, you won't have to do the job :p

and it's a vital difference between boudica and julius; she's safe... at pleased :p You won't see "we want to win the game tyvm" :p

@Carl Corey, The lack of infra is indeed due to unit building/whipping. I made some indirect mention of it stating that i'd have had oxford already without war.As you can see the situation's being rectified right now. I have reasoanble research already so it'll really be very good in some 15 turns.Indeed Kyoto has Mids and Mausoleum writing this i had forgotten about that.

@Snowlywhite, i tend to agree with you, my position's much better here than in Gliese's game and Boudica's land is not as good as Caesars land was there. And indeed Boudica's at war with Peri and i'll probably get her to pleased before that war finishes.

I've read several walkthroughs of games and there are always statements like "Get Boudica to pleased and she won't declare war", and it some other threads I see it requires friendly for someone to not declare war. Where did you guys get that information?

It's from the guide and it varies with personality. You can download the guide here.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=6570

Recommended really, there may be some info which is not totally clear, i have figured most of it out so feel free to ask.

Here's an extract from the guide showing what we're talking about.

Look at Peace probability it lists 0/40/100/100%. These are values for annoyed/cautious/pleased/friendly. The following is simplified but hopefully gets the point across: on the beginning of each turn the rng throws the dice deciding if an ai declares on you. Next the values listed above are scanned, in Boudica's case the war decision will always be reversed at pleased (100%). If she's cautious there's only 40% the declaration'll be canceled.

I can only remind you to keep up your MM skills.

For example, in Calakmul, be sure to make that city grow in two turns instead of three. It appears as if you need 15 more :food: total @ 7:food:/turn. By switching next turn to get 1 more :food: you end up in a situation where you lose one turn of the mine but gain two turns of the cottage, and to me, 1:food:3:hammers:1:commerce: is inferior to 4:food:2:commerce:.

Mayapan looks similar (can't open save). A farm and a cottage opposed to the mines?

In these situations, turning 3 turns into 2, always looks for a tile w/ more food that's half as good.
Turning 4 turns into 3 would need a tile 2/3rds as good (...and 5 -> 4 would need 3/4ths and so on).
Yes, there usually aren't 3/4ths as good tiles available, but a half is no problem.

And then there's your production breaks. You love forges, I see little/no attempt to aim your cities into 12/16/20:hammers:-a-turn cities. Even numbers will do w/ OR.

But back to population increases, I especially bring this up as Expansive. Pop is good. Trade routes, units costs etc. You have so much room in Happ/health. It kills me to see C/Itza @ 4 (although, yes, this is diety; the commerce was needed). But you have Music, right? Build culture?
I could also bring up Etruscan's No-Lighthouse and that you should be working water tiles over plains but that's enough.

Criticism in jest. Thank's for the read

Strictly speaking you're right of course these water cities need lighthouses bad. For the moment however it's important that libraries get whipped/built in these cities. Uni's next.That's where i need the forges for to get discounts on whipping.Getting up Oxford is priority number 1 now and everything must be done to get it up as soon as possible.
So i have to check production in the cities so as to get 30 hammers put in the library so i can do a 2 pop whip.

But i'll check the exact tile placements in each city before i go on. Plain tiles near Etruscan are cottages, they can't be that bad to work. Ch itza's stagnated at 4 long enough i'm farming tiles there right now for quick growth.Later after emancipation i'll change the tiles there to cottages. I don't have music atm. I'm losing the culture wars near Peri, i'll need another war against him or Boudica will do it for me.

MM is a good thing especially in the early game. Checking cities each round is too tedious to do every turn for my liking when you have 11 of them.

well played...I don't have the focus to play at normal speed at any level, the only time was when I first got BTS and I played quick, at warlords, just so I could see the late game units and play a bit with them..

Questions, why carry 2 warlords with your army??? you've got a medic scout, are you going to attach them to a 26Pt's unit? or Military academy for production of units.

On Toku, Why not vassalize him, and use him as shock troops for war declaration. You get BFC from vassals, though still have culture problesm and 'we want to re-join our homeland revolts, but culture will fix that eventually.

On Percilies and Hammurabi for that matter, when do you see taking them out as advantageous to yourself, post Industrialization or with Cavalry for quick war, and time to build back up for space race.

On Organized religion, it only gives the 25% bonus for state religion in city, and then only for building buildings, not units. Where as a forge give 25% for ALL.

On research, what are you plans??

@Slaze, your point about the forges is good. I know about the rounding but come to think of it,it really makes a significant difference, more than i always assumed.

@Ipex,

the warlords are there because i often select all units when moving a stack. I'm too lazy to take them out subsequently. There's no masterplan here.

Toku's land is too good, he isn't ready for capitulation btw

I'm undecided about when to take them out. Now might be good moment for Peri since Boudica will weaken him considerably. Basically i'd like to take the whole continent as soon but also as fast as possible as i don't want to get into a stalemate war (again).

Did i mention OR? It's good that you mention it, it'll cost me a turn but maybe i have to think about switching to OR when i'm going to whip the uni's. I see that i can switch to rep/OR in one turn. I should have thought about this earlier really when i captured Kyoto, the final turns were played late and apparently i was focused too much on the war/tech deals. Together with the switch to rep a switch to OR is certainly worth it. On the other hand if Boudica makes peace i'm going to leave religion or convert to Buddism if possible. This would mean anarchy again.

So i probably begin researching OR in 1 turn. Since my opponents are pretty weak i'm not going to tech to AL. I'll move on to chem/steel. upgrading trebs, maybe i won't even need rifles since i have decent backup units for the cannons already.

All this also depends a bit on what i find checking on the Peri/Boudica situation. I need a gp doesn't matter which so i can start a GA at a moment i need it, i think getting one has to get some priority too but it isn't easy atm.

Top Bottom