Discussion Status

The first thing we were doing was the civs, but we messed up a bit when we made a few UUs, buildings and other things. I sugest focusing a lot, and dividing the files among everyone instead of many people editing the same file. Oh, and one of the hardest parts of civ design is the diplo files; it can crack the whole mod and requires a lot of work. I sugest using regular diplo from the game (for example, make each leader use diplo from one vanilla leader - this way is good because later you can only use Find->Replace All to change all references at once), and then replace it as you make it.

I've been thinking about this as well and seeing that this is a group effort I think a Version Control System might be called for, so that we can always access and work from up-to-date files.
The ones I know from the top of my hat are:
Subversion: Good, with a lot of graphical tools for the commandline challenged. The problem is however that my webhost doesn't provide the HTTP-webdav module, so I can't provide hosting myself, but there are multiple possibities for free hosting.

Bazaar the vcs I'm used to work with. I should be able to get the repository on my webhost, but otherwise (or maybe even preferably) there's free hosting available at http://launchpad.net. I think there's a graphical interface available, but I haven't used it, so can't really comment on it.

And of course CVS itself. I haven't worked with it, and don't know what is required for hosting the repository.

I'm open to other suggestions as well (even to not using it, though I think it will help us a lot).

I think it is a good idea to have a repository. I know CVS and SVN, they both use good graphical toolsets (I'm prefer that personnally, never really cared for all those commandline things if I could avoid it :mischief:). For the webhosting I don't know. I know it is possible, but how exactly I don't know. I have not set such a system up before.

Ok, will try to get a SVN up and running sometime this week.

Great Job everyone. We now have 12 Finalized sections with more coming up very soon. In a matter of 3 days we were able to Finalize 5 Lists.

:goodjob:

Just 19 left to go, we are just about half way there!

Lets keep up the great work!

Updated the 1st post to reflect that the Unit list is now Finalized.

I hope i'm putting this in the right section but anyway, it may be worthwhile to look into the sourcebooks and the likes of Games Workshop's Lord of the Rings and War of the Ring line. Plenty of material for heroes, names of varying things and units.
The armies tend to be quite homogenous and factions like the Easterlings for instance will gain a lot from using it as a source.

Np.
If i stick to say the Easterling idea.
They based it on the appearance of the movie but expanded their background and look.
Easterlings there have archers and heavy in infantry in gorgeous golden armor (like in the movies) and Cataphracts. So basically they're a subfaction of heavy but slow troops. One of the few 'elite' factions serving Sauron. They also have some heroes. Including a new one that came out. Named and with background.

Also the Nazgul have been elaborated upon. With different powers and traits depending on their background.

Isengard, Gondor, Rohan etc all have similar treatments. The army roster is expanded visually but all suits the overall look and background of the setting.

Orcs and Goblins got some more 'heroes' too. Which may be well worth checking out.

In any case www.gamesworkshop.com should have some info. As do the sourcebooks and all. Should be possible to obtain those without too much expenditures though of course for obvious reasons i'm not going to say 'how'. We all know the answer...

Indeed, that does look good. I don't have any problem with going outside of canon as long as it's homogeneous enough.

Well, FFH has been patched to BTS 3.19, are we waiting for anything else?

Well, I'll be moving house, starting about a week (planning was that we moved the end of august, but apparently somebody didn't get that notice.), so I won't be doing a lot on this mod for a while. I hope Berenthor has time, otherwise you'll have to wait for my return to get the dll up and running.

Sorry about all the delay. I have been working on some other projects in the mean time. I have been maintaining my own personal mod (for another mod as base) for about a year now, and I decided to release it here as an add-on to Legends of Revolution. Therefore I've been busy with that. I would definatly like to get the project underway again.

My proposal is actually to not include the broader allignment because it is quite some work. All the C++, python and xml has to be merged and I don't have the time for that. I propose to take the latest patch of FFH2 and merge the appropriate flavourmod version into this. We then just start changing xml so at least we have a first version. We can merge "broader allignment" into it later on when we have a first version ready.

This means we really need some people to do some work. Some people need to do xml work and some people need to deliver graphics (dds files of leaders and civilization flags). I can do the leaders and civilizations in the xml. Can someone do the buildings and someone else the units? This way we don't work in overlapping files.

Waiting on broader alignment is probably a good thing, at least to get a first version out.

I can try doing some flags, but I suck at image editing programs. Wish me luck!

I actually meant not waiting on broader allignment since I don't have the time for it. We can always merge it in later. At least we could get the xml going. That is easier for me to do in between and in parallel with other people. Otherwise we're stuck until I have it done. Just a suggestion.

Top Bottom