Discworld Mod

right after i run a test on the playability of the mod (i don't know when hopefully tomorrow) i'll post here listing the definitive list of what i need. but for now i need:
Quistioners
Djel city list
Genua city list
Tezuman Empire City list
help with improvements and wonders
help with tech tree (i need it to go from the ancient age to about ten techs passed Printing press)
erm i think thats it but as i said i need to test it prior to this

just remember:

De Chelonian Mobile

okay this is what i've got
5 civs
16 units: Wizard, Camel, Prophet, Priest, Assasin, Plumed Archer, Jaguar Warrior mk2, Eagle Warrior, Elephant Archer, Trojan Horse, City Watch, Aztec Monk, Galleass, War Galley and 3 types of Dragons.

What i need
Units
Witch: Air and Land
Theives
Trolls: discworld trolls are made out of rocks
Dwarfs
Vampires
Werewolves
Voo doo witch docters

if someone can make these units it will help me alot

Civs city lists
Djel
Tezuman
genua
Omnia

i still need to do the tech tree

I have just compiled a list of buildings that are in the mod, if a building is not there it has been deleted.
Building - Replacement

Palace - None
Barracks - None
Granary - None
Temple - None
Market Place - Sator Square Market
Library - None
Courthouse - Assasins Guild
Walls - None
Aqueduct - None
Bank - None
Cathedral - Dedication Buildings
University - None
Colosseum - None
Coal Plant - Dwarf Mine
Hospital - None
Research Lab - Alchemists Lab
Coastal Fortess - None
Harbor - None
Police Station - Watch house
Wealth - Bribury
Pyramids - The Great Pyramid
Hanging Gardens - Al Khali Gardens
Colossus - Statue Of Blind Io
Lighthouse - Ephaban Lighthouse
Great Library - Great Hall
Oracle - Temple To Blind Io
Great Wall - Wall of the Agatean Empire
Art of War - None
Sistine Chapel - None
Magellan's Voyage - None
Copernicus' Observatory - Astro-Magic Lab
Shakespeare's Theater - The Dysk
Leonardo's Workshop - University's Library
JS Bach's Cathedral - None
Newton's University - Unseen University
Smith's Trading Co. - C.M.O.T. Dibblers Trading Co.
Universal Suffrage - None
Theory of Evolution - Theory of Special Differances
United Nations - None (there has to be a Discworld equivalent)
Heroic Epic - None
Forbidden Palace - None
Military Academy - None
Apollo Project - Potent Voyager Project
Inteligence Agency - Spies Guild
Battlefield Medicine - None
* All SS components renamed PV rather than SS

i also want to find away to have a dragon trainig building whats the name of that woman in Guards Guards.

right some new techs i wanted input on:

Wood Working leads to Warrior Code, The Wheel, Masonry

Knowledge of the Gods leads to Ceremonial burial and Worship Code

Worship Code leads to Ominism and Polythesic Worship

Herbology leads to advanced Potion Making and Chemistry

Basic Magic leads to Spell Making, Astronomy, Headology and Enchantment

Spell Making and Astronomy lead to Magical Code

Magical Code allows Unseen University and Wizard unit to be built

Potion Making leads to Witch Craft

Enchantment leads to Witch Craft and Broom Flight

Headology leads to Witch Craft

Witch Craft leads to Broom Flight and allows witch unit to be built

Broom Flight allows Airbourne Witch to be built

Construction leads to Constrution Components

Construstion Components leads to Turtle Gender Tech

erm I'll probably think of some more but this is all i got at the moment...The next post by Wolfhart brought about changes to this and the building's list

Add Headology and Broom Flight (allows airborne witches) ;)

Granny rules!!! After Sir Samuel Vimes of course... oh yeah, you'll need Watchhouses (police stations instead of barracks, you KNOW that Vimes considers himself and his City Watch as civilians...)

Shakespeare's Theatre => The Dysk (from "Wyrd Sisters")

Sun Tzu's Art of War => VENI VIDI VICI: A Soldier's Life by Gen. A. Tacticus (from "Jingo")

I can't resist sharing a sample of General Tacticus wisdom:
"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind."
I wonder if Pratchett got inspired by Gen. Patton? :D

thank you i couldn't remember what the playhouse was called and i couldn't remember where abouts in the book it was.

i'll soon update the buildings i've got in game before you posted i thought i'd finished that part of the mod oh well.

hmm looking back i've already made the police station the theives guild i'll have to sort this out.

i haven't read Jingo yet can you tell me anything about it, it seems its about a war between Ankh-Morpork and someone else(probably Klatch)

Oh my goddess this would so...FREAKING...._ROCK_!! :)

I am the _hugest_ fan of Discworld. Hi, you don't know me, I just got here, but _any_way, I am the HUGEST fan of Discworld--figuratively speaking of course (I'm only 5'0", hard for me to be the "hugest" of anything physically ;)) and I have read ALL the books! :)
Well, not Night Watch yet. But once it hits paperback...it's mine.

You know what would _really_ help you? If you could find the GURPS Discworld book. Somebody _already_ took the world of the Disc and made it into a _game_, with stats and numbers and exact maps and listings of things, descriptions of cultures, lots of pictures, etc. It's an RPG not a strategy game but it will still help you out a lot, if you can find it. Also it's just a neat book.

And yeah, the Watch House should be the _Police Station_, that's exactly what I think of them as. The Barracks should be...well, the Barracks...can't really think of any other name.
The Temple of Blind Io..maybe Michaelangelo's Chapel?
Hmm...Worship Study could lead to Ephebian Religion (they're like the Ancient Greeks, so they're polytheistic) and then, of course Omnianism..maybe?

And by the way, Soul Music ROCKS. It's my favourite book in the series, pretty much. You got some good stuff ahead of you. :)

...Notorious

Well, Jingo begins with a sunken continent returning to the surface between Ankh-Morpork and Klatsch, setting off an international conflict between those states which develops into war with the help of some dirty politicians on both sides. The Ankh-Morpork City Watch under Commander Sir Samuel Vimes tries to uphold law and order when klatschian immigrants living in Ankh-Morpork is being persecuted by racist mobs ("all [INSERT NAME-CALLING] are [INSERT PREJUDICE]"). When war breaks out he considers this as the greatest crime of all, a crime against humanity, and tries to solve it. As usual when he tries to do what is right, he makes a lot of enemies among both compatriots and foreigners who REALLY want this war for all reasons but the right ones...

I came across a Pratchett appreciation thread this morning, so I've given your little project :D a quick plug. Hope you get plenty of help!

I'll try and come up with a list of place names for you. The main problem is that cities on the Discworld are few and far between, so it'll probably be necessary to use general locations as names.

In the meantime, keep up the good work!

:beer:

As a postscript to the above, there is a Map of Discworld available. I haven't seen it myself so I don't know how useful it would be. Can anyone else out there shed any light?

Here's a few names for starters.

KLATCH - Prince Cadram

Gebra
El Kinte
Eritor
Al-Khali
Ur
Istanzia
Hersheba
El-Ysa
Al-Ibi
Klatchistan

LANCRE - King Verence

Lancre
Mad Wolf
Sheepridge
Bad Ass
Razorback
Mad Stoat
Blackglass
Skund
Inkcap
Powderknife
Drumlin's Fell
Lancre Bridge
Rham Nitz

Hope it helps. I'll keep looking.

Djelibeybi seems to be a problem. Nowhere in Pyramids does it mention a place-name!

Originally posted by Scheherezade
You know what would _really_ help you? If you could find the GURPS Discworld book. ...
Hmm...Worship Study could lead to Ephebian Religion (they're like the Ancient Greeks, so they're polytheistic) and then, of course Omnianism..maybe?

if you could give me some info the GURPS Discworld book i would like to know where to find it.

Alot of the people on the disc are polythesic like the Djelans and in Ankh-Morpork, "across the water, where they'd worship any god atall so long as he or she had money"-Small Gods. i'm having trouble finding monothesic religions like Omianism and the religion in Tezuma where they now worship the Luggage!

Originally posted by medwynn
Here's a few names for starters.

KLATCH - Prince Cadram

Gebra
El Kinte
Eritor
Al-Khali
Ur
Istanzia
Hersheba
El-Ysa
Al-Ibi
Klatchistan

LANCRE - King Verence

Lancre
Mad Wolf
Sheepridge
Bad Ass
Razorback
Mad Stoat
Blackglass
Skund
Inkcap
Powderknife
Drumlin's Fell
Lancre Bridge
Rham Nitz

I'll update immediately

Also i already have The Discworld Mapp its what allowed me to create the map for the mod - i'll admit there are some features i want to update and the screenshot isn't the most recent i have added jungle around the tezuman empire

Great idea, I always wanted to see a Discworld mod.

On the naming of cities, I think it is clear that we won't be able to find enough mentioned cities for some of the civs to make a complete city list, so I suggest you just start making up names that match the general feel of the civ. For example, in the case of Djel cities, you could use the gods mentioned in Pyramids to make names, or perhaps names of old pharaos. As I don't have my copy of Pyramids here right now, I can't really help you, but just to give you an example, perhaps a city could be named Pteppica? Named after the last but one pharao. Or perhaps the great pries Dios had a city called Diosia named after him? You know, just make up names using whatever information you can find in the books.

The GURPS Discworld books..well, I _think_ you can still order both of them from Amazon.com and Amazon.com UK. Don't know about the other countries' versions. The first one is the main one and the second is only a supplemental, but it's got some really neat stuff in it (such as a pre-made adventure idea involving computer-nerd druids that had me on the FLOOR laughing, and new character races including _small gods_...!) But what I'm saying is, if you get only one, get the first one.

I never had to order them, though, 'cos right after I read about them, I went down to my local comic book/gaming shop, hoping against hope...and OH MY FREAKING GODDESS both of them were _right there_ on the shelf! I couldn't _believe_ my luck and bought them on the spot. :)
The first book also has a pretty good map of the Discworld, even if it is black and white, so I use _that_ for my reference.

Hmmm...converts...I have converted at least four people that I know of and a couple of THEM have converted at least one other person each :p So I'd say that's pretty good. BWAHAHAH! WE'RE TAKING OVER THE WORLD!! (insert evil laugh here)

(In case anybody is wondering about my screen-name...I thought, "What would fit a board about Civilisation?" Answer: Names of famous people from history then. But there's so _many_ in the games; which one to choose? Well, the very best game I ever had was on Call to Power, where I played as the Persians with the default name, female, and ended up as Scheherezade the Civ-Lord with a score of something insane like 327%. So I picked THAT name, as I figured it'd be the easiest for me to remember! :p)

Oh, and I have a friend who's both a huge Discworld fan _and_ way the heck into ancient Egyptian stuff. You want me to ask her for help on the "Djelian" cities? :)

...Notorious

Originally posted by Scheherezade
Oh, and I have a friend who's both a huge Discworld fan _and_ way the heck into ancient Egyptian stuff. You want me to ask her for help on the "Djelian" cities? :)

I feel my own knowledge of Egypt will safice in this area hence the name, avatar, title and signiture.

Although it would help me lots and i can focus on completing the tech tree and new units

and i'll look out for those books

i nearly got to the end of Small Gods i would of finished it by now but i've been working on this mod.

well any way around page 218 and 219 it explains about what seems to be a basic steam engine. the boat used is an extremly basic Ironclad now because there are no rail ways on the disc i don't want to create that its just i'm thinking of adding a few more techs

Philosophy leads to Mechanics and something else but this tech branch goes all the way to steam Engine and allows the mechanical rowing boat and the moving turtle. Comments needed.

also it has come to my attention that the city of Ephebe is based on Alexandria with the library and the lighthouse both once prominant monuments in Alexandria

i'm playtesting the techs i've only got one done in the scenario actually in the mod and thats wood working but i've juat added the others and put them in order all i've got to do now is the pedia icons document

Top Bottom