Diversity in Heresy: we need second Reglion Wonder

saneman

Chieftain
Durning my recent Civ4 Game, played with me choosing which religion to activate, I came to a conclusion that has been bothering me for a while.

All the religions in the game have sects with different interpitations of their dogma, and I think each civilization ought to be able to build a second reglious wonder to represent those differece.

They should come later in the game, and with different benefits.

what are your thoughts about this?

Late-Game, Free Religion all but destroyes the usage of most of them, coupled with obseletions.

It would be a good idea to preserve the longevity of religions, and could inspire more outcomes. (like the civ with the OTHER wonder might think theirs is better from -2 to -6).

Giving religions different pros and cons would only cause a lot more problems. Some people tend to take everything that's being said about their religion personal, and believe me, religion is causing enough trouble as it is.

Different benefits isn't a good idea. In addition to further imbalances, it can really fuel religious stereotypes.

Like if Islam's 2nd wonder gave a suicide bomber ability, it'd be completely ridiculous. Or Jewish wonder gave additional commerce or gold.

Something more generic like additional happiness and other benefits would be fine though.

I think he was talking about something else. For example you have christianity which was founded by someone else. Then you research liberalism. Then you can have an option to split the christian church to protestant/catholic. Or something like that. And have a holy city.

Then you research liberalism. Then you can have an option to split the christian church to protestant/catholic. Or something like that. And have a holy city.
Hello!

I've been working on exactly that for a while as part of a quite large religions mod: Together with adding over 40 new religions (denominations for all in-game religions mainly, plus pagan religions), it also adds the possibility of schisms, which can either occur in a certain time interval, or be caused by a Great Prophet.

Regards,
Fabian Aichele

CoZe - your right on point there. What if christanity is founded say... early on, and later on, someone techs Liberalism and builds a secondary christan "shrine" building. Now, the christan nations will have to pledge which shrine they will aknowledge. I really prefer to avoid all flammages.

You could have the missionaries be considered as "New Age Christan" or "New Age Hindusim" which i hope wouldn't cause any real complaints. the only difference, is that the religion that is present will divide between "traditional" and "new age", whatever the difference can be thought of by others who care to think about it. I would be fine with saying something like this:

Traditional gets a SMALLER bonus (or even a negative) with the New Age.

The Traditional and New Age religions interact with one another as they already do. (Traditional buddahists will hate both confuscian New Age and Islam Traditional to the same degree) and the Apostle Palace could be given a vote to classify either the traditional or new age as the "legitimate", which could make the other viewed as an infidel (as a vote, but would initially be viewed as the same religion until the vote occured).

(the same civ should not be able to be both new age and traditional. if you capture the "other" shrine, you should be prompted to choose which one to crush forever)

Just a thought, and if your mad please chill out a few mins before posting as this is just a game and i am only attempting to think of a workable, balanced mechanic (and its other interactions) that have no intention other than another realistic historical element that if properly put in could add an extra element.

Different benefits isn't a good idea. In addition to further imbalances, it can really fuel religious stereotypes.

Like if Islam's 2nd wonder gave a suicide bomber ability, it'd be completely ridiculous. Or Jewish wonder gave additional commerce or gold.

Something more generic like additional happiness and other benefits would be fine though.

that is NOT my intention, it is something very close to CoZe's. In general, I am really uncomfortable with religion specific bonus.

this is really interesting.
maybe this should be like a chance or event type of thing.
like perhaps gaining knowledge can cause splits in religions.
IT CAN.. but wont necesarily.
like the discovery of scientific method may split the christian church( doesnt need to be religion specific)
or monarchy or liberalism.

or perhaps u could go with the I think the English kings name was Henry. who split the catholic church because he wanted to marry a different woman or something.

something of that kind would be interesting.
spliting a religion giving u a holy city, but created large diplomatic negatives. (spain-england war)

This is all true regarding Civ's approach to religion. But Civ has a superficial approach to every aspect and that's what makes the game managable when you play.

What I mean basically is that everything can be a lot more indepth. The idea of units is ******ed in itself. You should form armies of different types of troops that give it different abilities. There shouldn't be an army size limit but there should have to be supply lines with ammo, food etc and the enemy should be able to harass/shut them down. Weapons technology didn't LEAP foward either. It was the little inovations that made the differences. Armies and technology should Evolve not Jump lightyears from interval to interval/ TUrn to turn. My point is the game managable and fun now. Too Much detail is just that.

Top Bottom