DIY - Change tech speed?!?

SgtCiv

Warlord
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to change research speed so I could play the game on standard, but have the research speed of epic.

The reason for this is, I feel that I'm able to progress thru the tech tree too fast on standard and not able to enjoy units before they need to be upgraded. On epic though it takes so long to build anything and/or improve tiles that isn't as fun either. IMO - I think I would like to try this approach to see if this could be a nice balance between the two. Thanks!!

You could slow general science progress down, with a mod like "SloMo Science"

You could make early science development slower yourself with mod like this:
Code:
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.8 WHERE Era='ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.7 WHERE Era='ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.6 WHERE Era='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.5 WHERE Era='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.4 WHERE Era='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.3 WHERE Era='ERA_POSTMODERN';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.2 WHERE Era='ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.1 WHERE Era='ERA_FUTURE';

Thalassicus, what do you think about adding tech (and/or building contruction, unit building) speed to Civup_Options.sql

You could slow general science progress down, with a mod like "SloMo Science"

You could make early science development slower yourself with mod like this:
Code:
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.8 WHERE Era='ERA_ANCIENT';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.7 WHERE Era='ERA_CLASSICAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.6 WHERE Era='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.5 WHERE Era='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.4 WHERE Era='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.3 WHERE Era='ERA_POSTMODERN';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.2 WHERE Era='ERA_MODERN';
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*1.1 WHERE Era='ERA_FUTURE';

Thalassicus, what do you think about adding tech (and/or building contruction, unit building) speed to Civup_Options.sql

Thanks for the reply. I have tried modding myself before and I can't seem to figure it out. I have learned how to change xml and sql files some. I do have some questions about your post though.
1. Will the SloMo science mod work with this mod?
2. Do you know which SloMo mod I would need to make tech speed feel like Epic while playing on Standard?

1. yes
2. Hard to tell exaclty. SloMo only changes ResearchPercent but Research speed depends also on difficulty level. You should try out yourself - download SloMo 200 (2x slower ResearchPercent) and edit (with notepad) ResearchPercent in gamespeed.xml at SloMo mod folder. (After change you must re-load mod, savegame or a start new game).

For example 1.5x slower @ standard speed:
Code:
<Update>
			<Set ResearchPercent="150"/>
			<Where Type="GAMESPEED_STANDARD"/>
</Update>

1. yes
2. Hard to tell exaclty. SloMo only changes ResearchPercent but Research speed depends also on difficulty level. You should try out yourself - download SloMo 200 (2x slower ResearchPercent) and edit (with notepad) ResearchPercent in gamespeed.xml at SloMo mod folder. (After change you must re-load mod, savegame or a start new game).

For example 1.5x slower @ standard speed:
Code:
<Update>
			<Set ResearchPercent="150"/>
			<Where Type="GAMESPEED_STANDARD"/>
</Update>

Thanks for the reply. I will try that out.

If you want to just change all tech speed, open the Research/GER_Data.xml file in the mod folder. Find the GameSpeeds section, copy-paste the Epic part, change it to Standard, and set the research speed to whatever you want like Puer described above. :)

A quick follow up question to this: Is it possible to change the cost of individual technologies seperately?

Top Bottom