DLC 05 anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought if I didn't get up until 11:00 am (EST) today, somehow that would 'magically' make the First Look appear today.

Sorry guys, I tried . . . . . .

What is currently the maximum number of days a new patch got launched after steam achievements got updated?

Is it like within 10 days max?

PS: really hoping it will be next week. But i`m even more eager to know what the patch notes will look like. turn time improvements and improved air combat are very high on my list. Probably more likely to be an overall balance patch do.

How long has Pete had that Twitter avatar? What's it from? Is it also a tease?

For as long as I have been following him of twitter, no idea, no

I think at this point we're all pretty convinced that the 1st look will be Tuesday, the DLC thursday. The only question is who made the decision for which civs to put in the next two DLCS.

If it was the game design team on their own, I'm betting Zulu will be the African civ.

If marketing had any input, it will be Ethiopia or Ghana.

Follow my logic here: The people that buy DLCs are the people that are actively playing the game and actively invested in the game. IE: the best customers. Those customers are statistically more likely to have purchased the Deluxe Edition, which means that the DLC will be distributed to them for free.

If I'm mapping out the DLCs of the future, I want civs that will draw sales by being either VERY interesting/popular civs or very "franchised" civs that are known to be "civ teams" even to people that are new to Civ.

Which is why, I'm convinced, we got Australia as a civ during the DE period: It probably wouldn't have sold amazingly well on its own, but it is a pretty interesting choice for gamers, so the free ones got to take some chances.

I'm betting that after the DE period expires each DLC pack will be either 1 civ that is an obvious-buy, or a 2 pack with 1 fairly popular and 1 less popular to draw more sales.

So, to summarize: if it was just the game design team, it'll be Shaka. Because, well, Shaka.

If marketing was in the room, they'd be like, "Can we hold Shaka 2 more DLCs so we can make some money on that one?"

Closest guess I can make is something "inspired" from Sid Meier's Ace Patrol

EDIT: Yep, I'm correct

Yes. The portraits in Ace Patrol are actually of Firaxis employees. You can find Sid Meier in there too. I actually enjoyed that series although it was quite shallow, as it is a mobile game.

At least now we know for sure we´ll get the Zulus at some point, and the Impis will be OP... maybe not in this coming DLC (I´d rather hope for the Mali and Songhai in this partiular case) but at some point.

I personnally love it (although I never play as Shaka, I´m more of a builder, I love playing against them, I´ve been fascinated by the Zulus even before I knew the Civ franchise). And from what I´ve read I´m sure @Zaarin must be thrilled as well ^^ :p

I think at this point we're all pretty convinced that the 1st look will be Tuesday, the DLC thursday. The only question is who made the decision for which civs to put in the next two DLCS.

If it was the game design team on their own, I'm betting Zulu will be the African civ.

If marketing had any input, it will be Ethiopia or Ghana.

Follow my logic here: The people that buy DLCs are the people that are actively playing the game and actively invested in the game. IE: the best customers. Those customers are statistically more likely to have purchased the Deluxe Edition, which means that the DLC will be distributed to them for free.

If I'm mapping out the DLCs of the future, I want civs that will draw sales by being either VERY interesting/popular civs or very "franchised" civs that are known to be "civ teams" even to people that are new to Civ.

Which is why, I'm convinced, we got Australia as a civ during the DE period: It probably wouldn't have sold amazingly well on its own, but it is a pretty interesting choice for gamers, so the free ones got to take some chances.

I'm betting that after the DE period expires each DLC pack will be either 1 civ that is an obvious-buy, or a 2 pack with 1 fairly popular and 1 less popular to draw more sales.

So, to summarize: if it was just the game design team, it'll be Shaka. Because, well, Shaka.

If marketing was in the room, they'd be like, "Can we hold Shaka 2 more DLCs so we can make some money on that one?"

Sounds about right. However, putting Australia in the DE was, I think, at least by the comments I have read, a great thing on both ends. A new civ that while it might have been considered as taking a chance, Firaxis found out soon enough it is a great Civ and one that a lot of people are playing and loving. So they do try things out with DE civs and it will be a reference for future games. For DLC05 and DLC06, we might get another Australia in the mix and be happily surprised as well.

For 5/6 I'd really like to see them add some civs that we've never seen before, especially if they have "unique" flavor that might only appeal to some people. A large portion of us (especially on this forum) will be getting them for free and our word of mouth would be great. How many games out there include a "peaceful" leader with a large chance of using nuclear weapons these days? So giving us a civ we've never considered as part of a minor DLC that will be auto-distributed would be a good plan.

Your avatar also fits really well.
I have yet to find a circumstance where Bashir's "I'm totally judging you" stare is not applicable. ;)

For 5/6 I'd really like to see them add some civs that we've never seen before, especially if they have "unique" flavor that might only appeal to some people. A large portion of us (especially on this forum) will be getting them for free and our word of mouth would be great. How many games out there include a "peaceful" leader with a large chance of using nuclear weapons these days? So giving us a civ we've never considered as part of a minor DLC that will be auto-distributed would be a good plan.
I mostly agree with you, but I don't want new for new's sake--Central African Republic would certainly be new, but that doesn't mean I care to see the Australia incident repeated. Now, if it's new and interesting, that's different.

Clicking on the link from Pete's latest tweet brought me to this:

My thoughts exactly. All that was needed was a short, like 3-5 seconds video of, let's say, Pete Murray sitting behind the desk in Firaxis HQ, looking straight into the camera and quietly whispering the saint word 'Soon'. Hell, not even whispering, to mouth it gently would have been quite enough.

Oh, and among all that merchandise around him on the table, or somewhere on the wall behind, in between all those promotional posters and banners, there could have been rather inconspicuous, but quite very major clue of what supposedly is going to hit us most probably rather soonish indeed. Some blurry shape of a spearhead (wait, is it characteristically African, or would you place it somewhere in Asia, South Asia, to be more specific?), some not quite visible image of a bit recognizable building, a slightly telling war paint on the face of Pete, you get the idea. This thread would've gone over nine thousand by Tuesday.
And now it will only be deciding which destination - domestic or foreign - to pick for that umpteenth trade route. All weekend long...:sad:

I'm still pretty convinced it'll be released in July though.
Remember the comment from Aspyr themselves on a Steam forum around zillions years ago?
They clearly mentioned that the next DLC should "hit around July", which there's still 10 more days to.

I have yet to find a circumstance where Bashir's "I'm totally judging you" stare is not applicable. ;)

I mostly agree with you, but I don't want new for new's sake--Central African Republic would certainly be new, but that doesn't mean I care to see the Australia incident repeated. Now, if it's new and interesting, that's different.

Well, you ruined it for me. I thought that was a pic of you.

Isn't there a spoiler function?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom