DMI IX - The Vampire Lord and the Tower of Mastery (FfH2)

Thanks for filling us in on what's interesting about your latest vanilla idea, it really helped me pick between it and a Hyborem SG

The turnset'll be up today

@Monkeyfinger:

Slept on a boxing magazine ? ;) No need to be that ironic. The Vanilla SG will be an attempt to beat Deity with a grace period at the beginning for the humans...

Imhotep

I move the settler from the last round a few squares south and settle him.

Why'd I pick this sorry looking spot?

Yeah. We NEED all the mana we can get. That node became a spirit node.

So we fight Perpentach and stuff. Eventually this leads to a great commander being born:

He is sent to a frontline city and used for his Recruit ability, which gets us a bunch of free troops: Some chariots, some rangers, an assassin, a vampire and an archer. They helped.

I fight Perpentach a bunch and take a bunch of his cities. I lose some guys, ibcluding our uber conjurer. (thought he was safe, turns out Perpentach had a conjurer of his own. He summoned something, which was just enough to overpower are conjurer's defenders and kill. That was gay.) But anyway, it all pays off in the end, as I achieve my ultimate goal:

This is CRUCIAL. It lets us do this:

Also

(Perpentach's remaining army was no joke. Neither was ours. We raped Hyborem togather. Unfortunately, Perpentach got to capture Dis. No razing it :( )

Okay, so like, in addition to that extortion, we got a bunch of mana nodes from the territory we captured, in addition to a wonder of perpentach's that generates death mana. We already had body, fire, water, law, life, shadow, and from our brand new self built city, spirit, mana. So, I build the following nodes:

Earth
Entropy
Mind

So we have

fire, water, air, earth
shadow, death, entropy, chaos
law, life, spirit, mind
body

Hey, look at that! We have the mana for 3 of the 4 subtowers. And the slave trade to do this:

In one turn. (The free tech I got with the Tower of Divination was strength of will.)

Other things of note:

I slave built the forbidden palace in a random Balseraph city, saving us over 100 GPT

I self researched soul debt and ethereal call

I traded rage around for like 8 techs

I razed the Ashen Veil holy city

Mahala redeclared on us. Surprise, surprise, she hasn't done anything. After beating Hyborem I relocated all our crack troops to the west.

And that, as they say, is that.

Or not. One last thing.

My, how the quaint little village of Dis has grown.

(Get a load of that revolt time. Jesus christ...)

Attachments

• DMI IX AD-0444.CivBeyondSwordSave
    435.3 KB · Views: 51
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: From dead loss to clear win in 1 cycle? Amazing.

:goodjob:

Yeppp. Very glad we pressed on from a difficult position a cycle ago!! Will make a win much more satisfying.

@Monkeyfinger:

Another wonderful turnset. I sure want to have you on the roster on my next FfH SG - meaning no disrespect to the other players who carried this one on with great endurance as well...

Le pholk is UP, I'm on deck !

Imhotep

P.S.: Speaking of Infernal Capitals I got this in one of my last SP games. I was fighting Keelyn who followed AV. It was a long war, so no wonder I got this to see...

Now that are some turns of revolt... :eek:

Well, we had a bit of bad news during my set. I only played ten turns so I wouldn’t delay the game that much, too.

I spent much of the time building health or commerce buildings or units in our cities. I also used our mages inefficiently by having them cast Sanctify and Spring all over our lands.

On the my 2nd IT, there was a naval attack. We lost our lone frigate, while Mahala attacked right from his boat:

D’oh! I starting moving our units south, but at the time, I didn’t see the 20 Str unit he had defending with Com V @ +100% to Strength!! For now, our units are holed up in Ultigar (where we’ve survived several small attacks).

We also had an assassin kill one of our conjurers!! I didn’t even know these units existed :sad: I need to play a lot more FfH before I play another SG of it (or play a learning SG).

On turn 451, we learned we’re the least advanced:

And the next turn, made this trade with Sheelba:

And also taking OB with Sandalphon. On the last turn, we suffered a revolt in Hexam, so the city’s in disorder for several turns now.

Attachments

• DMI IX AD-0454.CivBeyondSwordSave
    430.4 KB · Views: 61
Well, seems like I always get the turnset where I have to deal with the big guys. No problem. If we've stopped it once, we've stopped it a hundred times, as Shagrat used to say. Now what do we have here ?

The War Machine. The Doviello Hero. Very nasty. Looks like the blend between an elephant and a cockroach. But we have some specialized vermin hunters in our line-up, right ?

First of all I find a guy there who is eligible for Fire II. He then casts Fireball (or summons one to be precise) and with it hits the city. Fine, it took 0.6 strength from our uber-cockroach. Now let's see. Losha, want another easy prey ?

He attacks and...

...WTF ????? I can't believe that. Heroes shouldn't be afraid at all. Hm, maybe Losha is female...

Okay, but you remember that the Eidolons saved our a$$ as those horseriders appeared ? Well, we still have those. The odds are not to my liking, but we'll gain at least 20 XP on the victor anyway - and I won't let this Doviello guy hang around in our city.

Our fearless Eidolon walks in and fights the War Machine. He can hardly be seen as he fights, but that doesn't mean his stabs don't hit...

Sorry Mahala. 1 - 0 for us again :D .

The rest is just mopup as we recapture our own.

The city capture was not bad after all as we can now transform that spirit node into another one. I take an enchantment node as this cuts our missing mana list to two (Nature and Dimensional).

One gripe: What is the Dragon's Hoard doing in this city ?

It should clearly be at Straatus as this is our shrine and future Bazaar of Mammon city. I've fixed that.

Speaking of money I found that GM who has been around for ages now. As Dis is still mighty big I send him on a trade mission, ending our money woes for a while.

Sheelba comes with a useless trade, I denied as we can research the tech in 2 by ourselves.

I was about to stop here as I spotted another Doviello flotilla:

Well, I might as well deal with it and not leave it to the next player.

However the raiders were not that breath-taking:

They ended as free XP the turn they set foot on our domain.

Mahala then was willing to talk peace at reasonable conditions, and I took the deal. We need to rebuild our empire (we have severe health issues) as well as get a navy going.

And now, fellow students, a quick lesson in dealing with hell terrain in 3 steps:

Step 1: You have Burning Sand/Flames tiles which cause all the trouble because they can't be worked and spread the terrain.

Step 2: You cast Sanctify on it. The Burning Sands/Flames turns into a desert. Only these deserts will burst into flame again, so we have to cast Spring on them to turn them intio a plains tile.

Step 3: Voilà ! The tile will now stay a plains tile. Note that not only Burning Sands/Flames but Burning Sands without flames (for examle after casting Spring before Sanctifying) too have to be changed like that.

Conclusion:

We are in a very good position. We should now build a navy and adress the health issues. Then we can force access to the two missing nodes by taking on Mahala. If we want to be peaceful we may build the Rites of Oghma. Techs I aquired in my set: Pass through the Ether, Astronomy, Mithril Working (4 turns left). However I traded for Perpentach's spare Mithril so we now have stronger units already.

Please notice: We have a few Mages now, and we have a Summoner and an Archmage. The Archmage can cast Meteor Swarm and Maelstrom, both very powerful spells. Do not lose him and get him together with our main army ! If we go to war, we should keep useless workers in our stacks - that helps against Assassins.

Imhotep

The Roster

Imhotep >> JUST PLAYED and whacked the War Machine
Ozbenno -- skipped permanently due to laptop issues
reverend_oats >> UP NOW for a builder's set
Ralph Jackson >> ON DECK again

Monkeyfinger-- another excellent turnset
pholkhero -- 3rd turnset :D

The dragon's hoard was where it was because I was using a worker to juggle it between captured cities for border pops.

ahh, yes, the GM. I found him in my set and woke him.

forgot to mention it.

The dragon's hoard was where it was because I was using a worker to juggle it between captured cities for border pops.

Never thought of that. I revert my gripe, that was clever play. On another note I've started DMI X - A noble way to Deity, the Hyborem SG will follow as DMI XI once we have wrapped this one up.

Imhotep

:coffee: Boring turnset. Built some troops and obsidian gates. Cleared some hell terrain. Researched towards Divine Essence for vamp lords. Mahala has enough on her hands again. I think Rights of Oghama is too slow because we can't slave rush it. I think we should attack Sheebla/Sandals instead of Mahala because they are weaker. Finally, here are a couple maps of the other continents.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 110
Not yet got by me due to absence of save. :)

Depending how quickly the Reverend spots this I will either get it and have a report up Friday afternoon or be requesting a swap as I am MIA this weekend

Ralph

Well I have discovered a new rule number 1 for SG's, don't come home and find your wife using your BTS DVD as a coffee mat. (No I am not joking!!)

Must now purchase a new one as it is knackered. Probably would have needed a swap anyway but now definitely need one.

Ralph

Well I have discovered a new rule number 1 for SG's, don't come home and find your wife using your BTS DVD as a coffee mat. (No I am not joking!!)

Must now purchase a new one as it is knackered. Probably would have needed a swap anyway but now definitely need one.

Ralph

:lol: :lol: :lol: You can always take revenge treating her Sex and the City DVDs likewise :D

I'll PM reverend for the save and Monkeyfinger that he is up...

:blush:
Voila

Attachments

• DMI IX AD-0474.CivBeyondSwordSave
    451.2 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom