1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DMOC's Immortal Game #3: Julius Caesar

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by DMOC, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Lafortezza

Lafortezza Chieftain

The quality of land and abundance of resources that the AI's have is ridiculous. Look at all that riverside green. Looks like it will be a really tough game.
    Looking forward to the next reports though! :goodjob:

2. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

The good news is that a lot of it is jungle, so the AI's can clear it for me. :lol:

I didn't know that about culture, thanks for informing me.

I'm thinking of keeping Uzbek as well. There isn't really a spot in that area that's awesome, and it saves me a settler. I don't know about calling peace and then re-declaring. I like to wipe out enemies with one blow. However, if Spain is willing to fork over certain techs, I might consider a peace - then - redeclare. I'll have to be wary of the shared religion bonus between Spain and Khmer, though.

3. PaulisKhan

PaulisKhan Physicist

I think you should seriously consider the war/peace method in this case.

Advantages of making peace immediately after capital: prevent war mode troop buildup by Isa while your limited praets heal and get into the next position.
    Able to declare war earlier and with fewer troops, thus bringing Spanish capital out of revolt earlier
    Allows times to bring further troops in to reinforce the new position.

Disadvantages: Doubles up on "You declared on our friend" penalty for the other civs (if she has any friends). This will never go away and can really hurt you later.
    She may not accept peace if you get a couple of unfavourable rolls (depends heavily on kill/death ratio, along with actually losing her capital) at which point you're low on troops and staring down the barrel of a pissed off deity AI.

If it were me then I'd probably be leaning towards the war/peace/war method if it meant I could extort something from her.

4. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Isabella currently has no friends. That could change soon since Suryavarman II converted to Christianity.

5. Artichoker

Artichoker Emperor

This looks like a tough map.

Regarding Uzbek, once you take it, it will become your second GP-Farm city, including Antium. Considering the extra cities you will gain through conquest, city maintenance will likely become very high. Even the Organized trait of JC will be pushed to the limit.

6. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Yeah, maintenance will be tough. :( I won't be building another settler on my long, winding peninsula anytime soon. Cities 4, 5, 6, etc. should be from conquest.

I think Rome is better suited for a GP farm city than Antium, which was just a city to grab the horses. Maybe Antium can be a decent Globe Theatre city for drafting. I wish I settled it a tile north now....

7. PaulisKhan

PaulisKhan Physicist

also, I realised this is Immortal not Deity (just noticed you sig).

I would just try and outnumber her visible capital defenders by about (2:1). See what your stack looks like after the capital falls and then decide from there. If you need time, get peace, if your troops are good to go then move on.

8. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Yeah, that's why the game is called "Immortal." :) The next game (if I play one) will definitely be on deity.

Good idea about scouting. Once I sign open borders with her, my exploring warrior who is near the sign marked "Todelo" on my world map can see her capital. I hope she generates a shrine for me.

9. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Round 3: 1175 BC to 35 BC [59 Turns] - The Capture of the Christian Kingdom

I signed open borders with Isabella in order to scout out her defenses. I wasn't quite impressed with what I saw.

....yyyyyeah.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one up to something!

A few turns later, I found out who Tokugawa's target was.

Isabella! I was surprised, as I reasoned that Tokugawa would attack Mansa Musa, since they were worst enemies. I guess the close distance factor trumped the worst enemy factor. Speaking of close distances, Tokugawa immediately proved that he was no slouch by capturing the nearest Spanish city.

:mad: I wanted that city! Now I'm going to have to hurry up and make sure Japan doesn't obliterate Spain entirely.

Veering off the topic of the war, I received a quest. I wonder if I should do this.

Maybe this is why Isabella's defenses are so weak - she never bothered to connect copper!

:crazyeye:

Anyway, I mustered up some mixed forces and then declared war. The axemen here were produced before the iron, of course.

As my forces marched to Madrid, I noticed that a CAUTIOUS Tokugawa was willing to sign open borders.

Yes. CAUTIOUS!!! :eek:

My forces found Madrid extremely under-defended. There had actually been five archers in the city, but I parked my soldiers next to the city for an extra turn while I let Tokugawa suicide his five axes or swords. The weird thing was Tokugawa definitely had at least 5 other axes in Seville, but never bothered to move all of them to Madrid.

The city was mine, of course. There was no wonder, but the marble makes the city promising.

City #2! Barcelona, the holy city.

City #3! Cordoba! Came with a granary.

I got my first great general after this city, who I combined with a combat I, medic I chariot.

I also captured Uzbek.

City #4! Toledo! These cities just keep falling to the Roman praetorians. :goodjob:

I then made a decision that was unwise on my part - I signed peace, since I expected Tokugawa's stack of 15 units to capture the remaining 2 spanish cities in no time at all. It turned out that Tokugawa captured the city east of Toledo, but ignored the one in the south! I had to later re-declare war which caused a diplomatic penalty with Gilgamesh and Mansa Musa. I would have had a penalty with Suryavarman II (since he was Christian and giving a +6 diplomatic boost for Isabella) but Sury was at war with Isabella as well! He was bribed (definitely by Tokugawa) since he sent no units.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, we meet Mehmed II (Expansive/Organized). I couldn't find any of his units, and we're not connected via trade routes.

The last Spanish city.

I decided to end the round a few turns later. The economy has crashed, as expected. Mission accomplished. :goodjob:

The map, with and without resources. I have a chariot exploring Sumeria and an axemen exploring the Khmer.

Other stuff.

So now what? I think I don't need any more settlers at the moment. I am building the Moai statues in Cumae until it grows to size six (just becuase I needed to produce something), and then I will start a worker.

Once I get Aesthetics, I hope to improve my technological position. Also, after these screenshots were taken, I hired two scientists in Antium, so now both Antium and Rome are running two scientists each, for a total of six beakers per city.

The save:

Attached Files:

10. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Er, hello. :goodjob:

11. JBossch

JBossch King

Cool write-up. As a native of the one in Ohio, however, I have to point out that it is "Toledo," and not "Todelo.";)

PS: very surprising that Izzy did not have bronze hooked up.

12. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Yeah, that was almost as surprising as Toku signing open borders at cautious. :lol:

I will fix the Toledo typo.

PS: It's copper. :)

13. v8_mark

v8_mark Prince

That's not all; if you look at the tile yields, there's no hammer on Izzy's copper resource - meaning she didn't even have Bronze Working! In 455 BC?!

14. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

:lol:

Honestly, she deserved to get conquered in this game.

15. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Emperor

I d suggest invade Sury with your highly promoted army, his culture is pushing on much of your former spanish cities. Get gold/tech from him but raze those border cities as you can not afford.

Cottages, scientists and get Lit/COL/Currency/Calendar ASAP, those calendar resources can quickly lift happy cap and net you many gpt.

Could later consider move the capital to the better south landmass and put forbidden palace up north.

16. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I'll definitely move the capital down to the "mainland." Would Madrid be a good choice? I'll have to go back in the game and decide.

I'll think about invading Sury's cities. However, Barcelona being the holy city has 5 culture from religion alone so it will push back Sury's culture easily. I guess my alternative to razing Sury's cities is to beef up culture buildings in Barcelona and Cordoba. Sury's also very popular among the civs here except Mansa so I'm worried about the diplomatic penalties.

#1 priority is getting Currency! :goodjob:

17. JBossch

JBossch King

Touche.

(the forum won't let me post such a short message so I am writing this sentence) :lol:

18. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

5char

19. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

Madrid is a very nice capital indeed. It is almost in the centre of this island. Nice going so far. Keep it coming.

20. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

The downside to Madrid is that it doesn't have that many riverside tiles as I'd like. :(

I am playing the next round now.