DNES2: War and Civilization

Now that is great! :D If there's ever any wars in South East Asia, use those pictures! ;)

yes, unfortunately thats the only battle picture ive found from that mod :( well, that and a slightly different one. Im still having fun with making RTW stuff, plus i can play the battles as a kind of aid to determining battle results in the NES :)

Those are awesome!!! Exactly what I imagined for the Imperial Guard.

*ahem* I HAVE DIBS! *calls dibs*

That reminds me daft, do you have the slightest clue how to get it to work? :( THe Zhanguo mod that is... Like where to put it and etc :confused:

alex994 said:
*ahem* I HAVE DIBS! *calls dibs*

That reminds me daft, do you have the slightest clue how to get it to work? :( THe Zhanguo mod that is... Like where to put it and etc :confused:
No way. Those are definitely the Imperial Guard.

*prepares a meteor strike on Rome*

*denounces jalapeno* *builds tower of babel to bring the fight to him*

As I said, those are obviously Taejon. They don't give off that same "Ormash" feeling. I mean, Ormash isn't even a distinctively asian name! :p

*hovers finger over meteor strike button*

Hmm... if a meteor did destroy Rome, i can blame all my neighbors on it and launch into a war spree.. :D DO IT! PUSH THE BUTTON! :D

@Lord_Iggy, I didn’t mean to sound dismissive of your story the other day. Im very grateful anyone has taken any notice of this thread at all, and i appreciate it! I did enjoy reading it very much, please feel free to post more

Meh, it's fine. I'm used to getting hassled for penguin stories.

Turner banned me for one once.

Those asian units look great. With some modification, you could make them look like my new UU *hint hint*

alex994 said:
That reminds me daft, do you have the slightest clue how to get it to work? THe Zhanguo mod that is... Like where to put it and etc

You downloaded it? Im afraid i have no idea, i dont know much about it, never played or installed it myself. Ive just looked at the screenshots posted online. With my 56K connection, i think it would take me several years to download the 440mb file :(

jalapeno_dude said:
Those are awesome!!! Exactly what I imagined for the Imperial Guard.

Thanks very much :) Actaully i made a couple more units today, and i found out how to take original RTW units and put them into the BI expansion, which is funny. I dont want to spam the thread with irrelevant RTW pics... but this will be the last time, probably :)

These are very similar to the guys from before, but with big swords. I copied the stats from the lombardii beserkers, so they send people flying through the air when they attack :).

I had the Ormash imperial guard in mind when i made this guy, but i think it maybe still looks too much like the mercenary Samnite spearmen i started from.

The others are edited hoplites from original RTW, the blue guys are supposed to be the Mycenean eagle hoplites.

And yes, sorry but the update is not progressing very well... Between not getting much sleep and wasting lots of time on these RTW units, ive not been doing a good job of updating *spanks self*. It might be done tommorrow, or day after definately. From what ive worked out so far, it looks like it will be a very violent update, to say the least.

*goes to sleep*

Lord Iggy said:
Turner banned me for one once.

If we were allowed to discuss moderator actions, i might have something to say about that. The world needs more penguin related things!

andis-1 said:
With some modification, you could make them look like my new UU *hint hint*

I'll have a go at that after this update :)

*goes to sleep, again*

That looks great! Any chance you could make the helmets (for the second one) a little more oriental looking?

I demand Horsemen Daft, that will display the awesomness of your other screenshots. For the Glory of Ulakam! :salute:

you can just use the scythians and parthians for that :p

Its really easy to change textures and stuff, but to add entries for new units or things from the original RTW, or mess about with the meshes themselves, becomes really time consuming. Which is the main reason im a day late with this update :(.

Update is probably about 22 hours from now

Arrrgggh fine Daft. My das crushing will just have to wait another day... But be warned, the Horde shall not be denied!! :mwaha:

Time is all just relative you know warman ;)

Edit: continued on next page :(

OOC: I havent been able to do justice to your orders, and in future these updates are going to have to be even shorther! There is also a heavy focus on the Agrinese Empire in this update, and a severe lack of graphics. But, anyway, I hope this makes some sense…

IC:

250-225 BC

From central asia, through the middle east, into Africa and Europe, much of the known world is engulfed in terrible bloodshed and fierce fighting.

The Battle of the Antalyak Delta

The focus centred on the river south of Antalyak. Aleksandyr I had assembled a huge new army at the city, stretching the resources of his empire (now known as the Agrinese Empire) to their limits. Masses of infantry were joined by camel riders, foreign mercenaries, and new armoured horsmen, the Ildyrn (‘lightning’) Cavalry. The Agrinese had begun marching it southwards towards the shores of Altyn-Kule, the golden lake, attempting to cut off the scattered Ulakam forces in the east.

However, at the same time, the Ulakam army was trying to cross this river to surround Antalyak from all sides. So, the two largest armies in the world crashed headlong into each other.

The battles raged up and down the river for several days, as both sides struggled to hold the fords and crossing places. It is said that some branches of the river became completely blocked by the piles of dead men and animals, and it was possible to walk across them without touching water. The carnage was terrible… Veterans recall seeing elephants crushing horses and chariots, and all kinds of horrifying wounds inflicted upon both men and beasts… Overall, perhaps 100,000 men were fighting here, together with all their animals.

In most cases the Agrinese were able to hold their ground, and their cavalry seemed to push the Ulak back with every attack. Yet the Ulak horsemen always regrouped, and kept a constant hail of arrows falling upon their enemies. Any isolated groups of Agrinese soldiers were quickly surrounded and slaughtered. Day and night the fighting raged, as both sides were fed by a constant stream of reinforcements.

Inspired by the words of their great Khan, and worked up into a frenzy, the Ulakam warriors pressed the attack, as it seemed the Agrinese were taking heavy losses. But the Agrinese showed no signs of weakening, and as the scale of the Ulak’s own losses became clear, they were forced to call off the battle. It was not a clear victory or defeat for either side, as both had suffered greatly – perhaps, though, the Ulakam could be said to have come off worst, as they were unable to progress eastwards as planned.

The river was now firmly in Agrinese hands, all the way to the shores of the golden lake. Several thousand Ulak cavalry were now cut off in the east, trapped north of Altyn Sarai amidst the sands of the Kuzey-Zula desert. Some were able to avoid capture, but many were killed off by desert tribesemen loyal to Agre. But this loss hardly made a difference to the main Ulakam horde, still with tens of thousands of horsemen under its command.

Now the Ulaks unexpectedly headed north, to plunder the fertile lands to the west of Sinopha and Konya. A flood of refugees from the countryside brought overcrowding and disease to these cities. The Ulaks tried several times to besiege the cities, but the reinforced Agrinese garrisons were able to hold the defences, and were able to keep possession of every bridge. The Ulakam kept moving north, frustrated that the main Agrinese army did not follow, and did not engage in open battle.

Although the Ulak were unable to cross the river or capture any cities, they still did an enormous amount of damage to the area. The Ulakam leaders allowed their allied warlords to keep everything they plundered for themselves, which both ensured their continued loyalty and encouraged them to be more aggressive.

…

Samar Uprisings

By the time the Ulakam horde reached Konya, there had been a massive uprising of Samar peoples in the west. Encouraged by the presence of the Ulakam forces, they assembled a horde of their own and attacked to retake their homelands from the Agrinese (the river valley west of Sinopha). Most of the Agrinese garrison had already begun to retreat, but many were trapped by the northern advance of the Ulakam.

There were dreadful scenes at the northern backwater city of Arel, as several hundred Agrinese soldiers and royal officials were captured before they could escape by boat. The prisoners received no mercy form the Samar, and many of them were publicly tortured to death. The Samar peoples were not only angered by the occupation and plunder of their lands, but of the scorched-earth policy carried out by the Agrinese as they retreated. Many of the Samar horsemen were still eager for revenge, and now they joined up with the Ulakam horde as it continued to plunder the northern lands of Agrinese Empire.

Bolstered by the arrival of the Samar horsmen, the Ulakam were able to cross the river in the shallower northern parts near Konya, and were able to completely surround that city. With the bulk of their forces in the south, the Agrinese struggled to send reinforcements to the area, and could not assemble enough forces to break the siege. Konya fell, its inhabitants brutally massacred, the city laid waste, and left as a ghost town....

Despite this victory, the Ulak warriors and their allies were now exhausted after years in the north of Agrinese Empire. They had reached the coasts of the northern sea, and plundered all that they could find in the countryside. Now they wanted to return to the west. They could not capture any of the other Agrinese cities without a major effort – which they were unwilling to make. With lands being lost to Aleksandyr I in the south, fewer reinforcements could be sent, and there seemed little chance of holding the northern lands permanently…

…

The New Campaigns of Aleksandyr I

Meanwhile, after the battles south of Antalyak, the main Agrinese army had been campaigning in the south to retake the lands around Talulak and Ghulaman. The smaller Ulak forces in the area had nothing that could halt the advance of Aleksandyr I. Although many considered him to be insane, paranoid and psychotic, his strength of will empowered the whole Agrinese army. He was often seen in the front lines, leading from the front, wielding the Spear of Tengri in battle. The Agrinese soldiers could not help but be greatly inspired by this.

Not only that, but Aleksandyr I seemed indestructible. Wounded by arrows three times, it is said, in three separate battles, each time continuing to lead from the front until the battle was won. However, the Spear of Tengri proved to be less indestructible. It was finally broken in fighting near Ghulaman, snapped in two after being thrust into the neck of an Ulak cavalryman’s horse. Aleksandyr I ordered it to be repaired immediately, but still many soldiers took this to be a bad omen.

Aleksandyr I had now retaken all of the lost territory in the south, although the Ulak had employed a scorched-earth policy of their own, destroying pretty much everything of value before they retreated. With news that the Ulak were still pillaging in the north of the Agrinese Empire, he dispatched some troops to try and contain them, while he took the bulk of his forces into the west. The independent city of Kandahur was offered military protection, in return for recognising Agre as its overlord, and this was eagerly accepted. Encouraged and aided by the Agrinese, the forces of Kandahur went on to attack Ulakam lands further west. A strong leadership emerged, founding the country of Karthia.

Meanwhile, thousands of Ulak warriors fleeing from Ghulaman now had no line of retreat back to Ulakam Empire. They had nowhere to go except south, into the relatively unguarded border areas of the Altynai kingdom. Here they became known as the Dyngulak peoples, and eventually entered into conflict with the Altynai, even though they were nominal allies of Ulakam in the war against Agre.

Aleksandyr I led one more successful campaign, the capture of Ulasan, before dying of unknown causes. It is said that none had dared disturb him for three days after he died, for fear that he was just resting... It is said his body was found still sitting upright in his tent in full armour, still holding the Spear of Tengri, and gazing down upon a map of the known world…

As well as the revolt of the Samar peoples, news was now arriving of Librian tribes attacking in the north east. Konya had been looted, and Ulaks were still in the north of the country. And then there was the conscription, the taxation, the loss of goods and the disruption of trade due to the fighting…

Despite all his glorious battles, it seemed Aleksandyr’s conquests were continually being undone, and the Agrinese Empire was not much better off than it had been when he came to power. Indeed, the life of the average Agrinese citizen is probably harder overall. But at least, a strong military tradition had now been established, and the imperial ideal of Agre was stronger than ever. Meanwhile, the battlefields around the Agrinese Empire were littered with the decaying remains of hundreds of thousands of dead people and animals, and it wasn’t over yet…

…

* Aahnad Empire now known as the Agrinese Empire
* Ulakam: +1 Economy (from pillage), -3 War Elephant, -15 Spearmen, -26 Horse Archers, -5 Horsemen
* Agrinese Empire: -8 Hoplites, -6 Swordsmen, -24 Levy Spearmen, -4 Heavy Chariots, -4 Horsemen, -1 Ildyrn Cavalry, -2 Economy (taxation, pillage and loss of trade centres), -1 Infrastructure
* Nation of Karthia appears. Currently allied to the Agrinese, offering trade rights and military passage, and is hostile to Ulakam.
* Nation of Samark appears. Currently allied to Ulakam, allowing their troops and supplies to flow through its lands, and is hostile to the Agrinese.

* Dyngulak tribes have occupied Baralykalai and the west of Altynai, with a small army of horsemen and horse achers, and are said to be under the influence of the Orian peoples…
* populations of Sinopa and Kafa reduced through disease and people fleeing - population of Kafa increased from refugees.
* population of Konya greatly reduced due to the pillage of that city

The Altynai Front

In addition to the large armies in the west, the Agrinese were also able to assemble another large army at the capitol city of Agre, to face the invading Altynai forces. This was led by Prince Karlyk, Aleksandyr's older son. But the Altynai army advanced swiftly from Atil, and outmanoeuvred the Agrinese forces gathering at Agre. The main Altynai force circled north around the city, capturing several wagon-trains of weapons and supplies, and pillaging several important metal-working settlements, until their path through the Sybur-Alin mountains was blocked by the determined resistance of a small force of Agrinese infantry. The Altynai were held up long enough to be forced into a major battle with the Agrinese army…

The battle was inconclusive. The Agrinese seemed to be on the verge of a major victory, as the Altynai army began to collapse. Yet the tough Altynai hillmen fought on heroically, taking a heavy toll on the Agrinese and allowing the Altynai to regroup. In the aftermath, neither side was in a position for another battle. But the Agrinese were left holding the routes to the south and west, so the Altynai were forced to continue north east to Herakleia…

Meanwhile, Prince Karlyk’s army defeated a smaller Altynai force that was trying to besiege Agre, and then moved south and laid siege to Atil. The Agrinese were reluctant to launch an assault on Atil - it was after all one of their own cities, home to many great buildings, especially the legendary Great Library, which they did not want to see ruined. But the garrison refused to surrender or to switch sides, even when a naval blockade was established and there was no hope of supplies. After several months of starvation, there was an uprising amongst the civilian population, and in the chaos, the Agrinese army was finally able to break into the city without difficulty.

Sadly, the city’s Great Library burned down in mysterious circumstances during the fighting. But hundreds of ancient inscribed tablets and scrolls are rumoured to have been taken away by the Altynai before the siege began…

The Altynai were now struggling to gather new forces to defend their own borders, as their main army remain isolated far to the north west (aiding Tarnas in the defence of Herakleia). In a series of small battles, Prince Karlyk’s army fought its way through the forests north of Tandak, taking some heavy losses in the process. The Agrinese then launched a surprise assault on the city of Tandak itself…

After a close battle, the defenders managed to repulse the assault. And then, despite being outnumbered two to one, the Altynai navy managed to defeat the Agrinese in a sea battle near Tandak, sinking many of the enemy’s galleys. The remains of the Agrinese navy was forced back to Aydin, and the Altynai could keep sending supplies to Herakleia and keep trading with their southern colonies.

After these successes, the mood of the Altynai was lifted, but only for a while. Prince Karlyk continued the siege of Tandak and eventually took the city, despite supplies getting through by sea. The Agrinese now moved towards Sarabalyk, but the Altynai capitol was looking increasingly well defended, and Prince Karlyk decided against a siege. Instead, the Agrinese pillaged the countryside around the capitol, causing a great deal of damage to the infrastructure and trade of the region.

But all the while, the Altynai were wearing down the larger Agrinese force in constant skirmishes and raids, while rebuilding their own forces. It is said that the new army at Sarabalyk is now ready to meet the Agrinese in open battle…

* Altynai: -5 Swordsmen, -3 Hillmen, -10 Spearmen, -4 Horsemen, -3 Camelmen, -2 Galleys, -1 Economy, -1 Infrastructure, -1 Production, +1 Science
* Agrinese Empire: -4 Hoplites, -4 Swordsmen, -8 Levy Spearmen, -2 Horsemen, -2 Heavy Chariots, -3 War Elephants, -2 Ildyrn Cavalry, -7 Galleys
* Great Library badly damaged, needs to be rebuilt from 40%… -science centre in Atil,
* +Science centre in Sarabalyk (various texts stolen from the great library!)
* Now assuming all of the Agrinese and Altynai navies are in the Ak-Dynghez sea.

Top Bottom