1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do barb camps spawn invasion forces anymore?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Starwars, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

The great divide in civ … or at least one of them.

Do you want to play a game where you're forced to worry, right out of the gate, about whether your neighbours will burn down your cities?

Or do you want to play a game where you're free to ignore building an early army so you can spend your initial turns on other things?

I'm not sure there's a happy medium. Civ 6 tilts heavily towards "win your way", so it might as well focus on that and eliminate the potential for early barbarian overruns. Having the early game offer a challenge when the rest of the game doesn't just detracts from the sim civ fun, without providing a satisfying experience for those who want a more dangerous game environment.

Elhoim likes this.
  2. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Chieftain

Considering that barbarians are a bigger threat to the AI than myself, I think your "challenge" is misplaced.

3. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

I don't like the current situation where barbarians pose almost no threat. But, I didn't really like the previous situation, either. The starting game was much too variable because of barbarians. I'd have some games with 1-2 camps spawning Warriors and other games with 3-4 camps spawning Horsemen everywhere. The difference is quite large. The AI often had trouble with starts like that, too, which actually made some games easier.

Some variety is good, but there's a limit.

(And no, I'm not talking about the pre-patch GS situation where barbarians only spawned on some continents. This is more pre-GS.)

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I have seen warriors and horseman spawn and head towards my city, but I haven't seen the mass spawns we used to have.

5. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Chieftain

The solution to lack of challenge later in the game is to make the late game more challenging, not to make the early game easier...

6. dshirk

dshirk Firaxian

This was a tricky one, but we think we found the problem. Thanks for the report! I'll bring up the topic of setting aggressiveness level with the design team and see what they think.

Elhoim, kaspergm, Meluhhan and 13 others like this.
  7. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Chieftain

Awesome!

I think the solution is making the game tougher later and easier at the start. The people that a pro barbarian just want some form of challenge. I personally want more challenge as well, but not at the expense of trying new strategies.

I think both parties would be happy if the actual civs could pose a similar threat once they got established. That way your situation is wildly different by the time things hit the fan and so are your options for getting through it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  8. Minou

Minou Chieftain

I agree. It was a bit of a gamble in the original version where “greedy” starts with for example Builder instead of a Slinger could result in being overrun right away. BUT barbs were really the only thing to actually make the player worry about losing the game since they were much better at attacking than the AI Civs and cant be bribed. It would be great if they were a little less devastating at the very start but the AI in turn provided more challenge so that winning or losing would determined near the end instead of near the beginning.

9. Smity2k1

Smity2k1 Chieftain

Developer feedback like this is incredible. Even if results are not immediate it is really nice knowing that this information is getting to the right folks.

10. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

And the problem was...?

11. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

There seems to be a new approach to communication with the community since the latest patch was released.

I think it's a hugely positive change!

tedhebert and jddods like this.
  12. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

Let me add that barbs are not eager to be clubbed to death (by throwing scouts at your slingers) and have their camps taken (by moving out their pikemen, leaving empty camps).

13. Dustbrother

Dustbrother Chieftain

Did this ever get fixed? Seems like it's still a thing..

14. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Not yet. Will probably have to wait for next patch, as I doubt this will be considered urgent enough for a hotfix.

15. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

You know, without the barbarian rushes it's been a lot easier to get a Classical golden age. Barbara camps are just so easy to clear.

16. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.