Do people finally like Civ5 now?

SuperSmash5

Warlord
So, back in the day when Civ5 first came out, everyone was angry, and kept saying about how it sucked or that they were selling it or how they couldn't play it or w/e.

I took a break from the forums soon after that whole fiasco but now I'm shaping up to be in a situation where I might actually buy this game. I have a new computer that can probably run it and I'm wondering how this game has come along.

So basically, what it winds down to is this. People hated this game when it first came out. What do they think about it now? Is it a game worth getting?

Nothing has really changed much from those days to be honest with you.

Multi is still broken, AI is still a joke, lots of features are still missing, huge balance patches that force you to change how you play come out regularly still, ect..

I started playing in March after the first couple of patches, and I enjoy Civ5 quite a bit. The last couple of patches have only made things better. The DLC civs are pretty neat, too - I have all of them except Korea. I find it a really fun, engrossing game with lots of replay value, just try a different civ.

It's a great game. Or that's the opinion of thousands of people, at least: 23,802 people played it today.

There's no getting around the fact that the AI is pretty weak. After 327 hours (the last 50 of which I've spent tweaking XML files to make the game more challenging), I think I might take a break for a while and come back to it after the next major patch or if/when the AI's improved.

Now, while I'd be quite disappointed if a decent AI never came out (even if Firaxis doesn't make one, the modding community should have a decent shot once the DLL is out), I've gotten well over $50 worth of fun out of it already anyway.

patches have made the game vastly better... There is still room for plenty of improvement, and I do hate the $5 a pop dlc strategy, as I feel its a rip off (which is why I havent bought any of them:) I would only buy dlc if it came in a large pack for around $20. Overall I am happy with the game.

patches have made the game vastly better... There is still room for plenty of improvement, and I do hate the $5 a pop dlc strategy, as I feel its a rip off (which is why I havent bought any of them:) I would only buy dlc if it came in a large pack for around $20. Overall I am happy with the game.
You can basically do this; just wait for the next Steam sale and scoop up a bunch at once.

well I realize fully that I am more strict with money than most (poor college student hehe) But for all the DLC available to us currently id be willing to spend about $5 or so... the content in the dlc is incredibly expensive compared to the base price of the game, at least Imo. And I doubt that they'll be that cheap :lol:

Ahh i see, but I meant I would only be willing to spend $5 total for all of em together:lol:

edit: ahh so you did get my post hehe

It's a good game now, but next thing needed would be an expansion with new features. :)

I love the game, it has come a long way since release. They've made good gameplay adjustments, especially making the different strategies more viable (instead of one or two 'paths to win').
And I especially like it on LANs, multiplayer-stability has greatly increased (for me at least).
But: The core game is still the same. If you didn't like it, chances are high you probably still won't like it.

Any idea when another sale might roll around? The sale prices look quite reasonable. To be honest the sale price should be the regular price. 2-3 bucks for a small pack or 5 for a larger one is fair IMO.
Hard to say. In december for sure. And I assume there also might be a sale between now and december, but I'm not sure about that, it wouldn't surprise me though.
But I can say with high certainty in december.

I tried playing a couple of games when it first came out but didn't finish any because it just seemed tedious and really easy. I put the game away for a few months.

In March, I tried playing again and found it much improved. You really have to play one or two difficulty levels above where you played Civ 4 at for it to be a challenge. There are still plenty of bugs and other issues but not nearly as many as when the game first came out.

I'd say give it a try again if you already have the game. If you don't have it already, I'd say it's a bit of a risk since your tastes are probably different than mine or other people that say the game is better.

I'm new to the forum, but I've been playing the game since it came out, and I can say that I'm quite happy with it. It's not perfect, but has improved and now is a really solid and enjoyable game. Think I'm gonna try one of the DLC in the next days.

So, back in the day when Civ5 first came out, everyone was angry

Not true at all. Many have been enjoying Civ V since release. :cool:

The funny thing about people who rant about a game online is that they are still playing the game. People who really don't care about a game and have moved on don't bother to post.

Anyway, the game has improved immensely from release, but it still has some way to go. Nobody can tell you whether you will like it now or not.

The funny thing about people who rant about a game online is that they are still playing the game. People who really don't care about a game and have moved on don't bother to post.

Those people who are still ranting about the game are also playing it (at least sometimes they are). This is true. However, this also means that people who still in somewhat large numbers rant/complain about something (for instance about horrible AI) are right. So they are valid complains since they are coming from within the true fanbase who are actually playing the game.

To answer this threads question I would say that yes I enjoy it better now than before. Still the AI is horrible since war feels like cheating because the AI is a donkey and even the huge production bonus that it gets doesn’t help it, because it just dont know how to use those units. Ship combat anyone?

I like the game and its better that it was when first released, but its just too annoying in places (like the diplomacy and AI) to make it a great fun game. Unless, of course, you just play it with friends in multiplayer.

Hopefully a patch will come out soon to fix what I and others don't like about it. Until then its CIV 4 for me.

I enjoy it (well until the game crashed because of computer performance). getting a new computer just because of civ 5. but I am hoping for more improvements. AI's act strange, they seem to declare war for no reason. the 1 unit per tile thing annoy me less and less, but it would be cool to be able to have at least 2 units per tile. I wish they put back religion in the game. and made it possible to have mroe than 22 civilization's (used to play with 30-50 in civ 4 - even though it made the game slow). another feature that would be cool was to be able to (by diplomacy) get city states to join a civiliaztion without going to war and to be able to force city-states to give you stuff (like resources and units). but I must admit that from beeing a big civ 5 hater I know like it more and more and can't wait 'til I get a new computer (haven't decided which one and still looking for suggestion in my technical thread).

After a few weeks of playing the game when it first came out I couldn't really enjoy it without Mods. Since I couldn't get any achievements with the Mods, I stopped playing.

After the Korean DLC, I started playing and a lot of improvements have been made to make the game much more enjoyable. There are some Mods out there that could make the game better, but it is more than enjoyable.

The AI and Diplomacy definitely could use some work though...

Top Bottom