Do people finally like Civ5 now?

Theres a obvious reason why they did what they did. That kind of system (ala civ4) would make the game yet more harder for the AI to compete. The AI wouldnt perform well at all if you couldnt stack on land but then you could stack on sea, so that system is a no no for civ5.

Thats a heck of a point, I tend to think about things on my end not the ai's. Your problably right it wouldnt be able to handle it.

I'm enjoying the game a lot more than I did last autumn. However, the diplomacy is still a game-breaker for me. To have the AI players act as Civ-players instead of leaders of civilizations is, to me, an utterly wrong design decision. It shatters immersion when an AI player complains that "I'm trying to win the game in a similar manner to them". Win the game?? Seriously? I can't understand how anybody thought that was a good idea.

I guess Civ V is good for newbies and beginners to the series... most of the people who play civ already since the very first beginnings or at least since civ III, have returned to Civ IV and enjoy it because of the fantastic mods and modmods that have been created by the large community there. I myself bought civ when it has been released (if I wouldn't earn good money I would still complain about that:lol:) and tested it for a week, experienced it as "terrible" because of all its flaws, bugs and not working concepts (dumb AI, broken diplomacy) and waited a couple of month, while I played Wildmana and Master of Mana (civ iv modmods of FFH 2) and tested it then again. I have to admit that they worked on the game and improved it, but it is imho still no delight for me as a deity-level player. It is utterly boring and makes me angry. So I will wait since they don't let me feel like having purchased a game that is still in its' beta phase and am glad to have discovered PAE IV for civ iv. In the meantime I will stick to civ iv and it's mods which made the vanilla game so great. I hope Civ V will learn from this and integrate the modding comunity more into its' concept - though I doubt this. Buying new civs and other rubbish via steam is one of their most important cash-flow-concept. BTW, I hate this and steam.
Moderator Action: This is the Civ5 forum. If you only want to talk about Civ4, then please post in the Civ4 forums, and not in Civ5.

The 1upt is sth I quite liked, though not all of it, but the tactics behind it. Thouth there would have been another approach to it with genereal unit hard caps, hard cap on units stacking in an SOD and other promotions paths + hero promotions to make units more individual and engage therefore more into role playing and tactics. And civ iv modmods had this all... right there, for free.

If you are interested in good civ-iv-mods:
www.masterofmana.com
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=352646

the game is excellent now, when it first came out i stopped playing and went back to Civ IV but after they released the Hotseat patch i started playing with a mate every friday night, we play full games over the whole night and i must say this is the best version of Civ ever, it is almost perfect and never crashes. i only play hotseat as after years of Playing all Civ versions i found that Hotseat is really the only way to play Civ and get the full experience, nothing else compares, its like chess to enjoy it you have to play on the same board, there are time when mates cant make it over i would like to play online but they do not have animations in multilayer and its not turn based so i don't understand what the point of playing would be. this game works perfect turn based not simultaneous turns and there should be an option for either.
i give it 10/10
this is a great game and with a few more patches it will be the only game you will ever need, buy it you wont be sorry. and after playing this version you will never be able to go back to Civ IV again it just doesn't come close.

Eh, I'll wait. I still have a backlist of games I need to play that's about 50 games long at this point.

I started playing it last week and so far I've put 32 hours in it wich is around 4 hours/day. This pretty much says how much I'm liking it.

I got it on a gamersgate.com sale for $11 or something so yeah, it was really worth it.

The game is much better than at release when horsemen and ICS were all you needed to do to win any game.

I guess Civ V is good for newbies and beginners to the series... most of the people who play civ already since the very first beginnings or at least since civ III, have returned to Civ IV and enjoy it because of the fantastic mods and modmods that have been created by the large community there. I myself bought civ when it has been released (if I wouldn't earn good money I would still complain about that:lol:) and tested it for a week, experienced it as "terrible" because of all its flaws, bugs and not working concepts (dumb AI, broken diplomacy) and waited a couple of month, while I played Wildmana and Master of Mana (civ iv modmods of FFH 2) and tested it then again. I have to admit that they worked on the game and improved it, but it is imho still no delight for me as a deity-level player. It is utterly boring and makes me angry. So I will wait since they don't let me feel like having purchased a game that is still in its' beta phase and am glad to have discovered PAE IV for civ iv. In the meantime I will stick to civ iv and it's mods which made the vanilla game so great. I hope Civ V will learn from this and integrate the modding comunity more into its' concept - though I doubt this. Buying new civs and other rubbish via steam is one of their most important cash-flow-concept. BTW, I hate this and steam.
Moderator Action: This is the Civ5 forum. If you only want to talk about Civ4, then please post in the Civ4 forums, and not in Civ5.

The 1upt is sth I quite liked, though not all of it, but the tactics behind it. Thouth there would have been another approach to it with genereal unit hard caps, hard cap on units stacking in an SOD and other promotions paths + hero promotions to make units more individual and engage therefore more into role playing and tactics. And civ iv modmods had this all... right there, for free.

If you are interested in good civ-iv-mods:
www.masterofmana.com
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=352646

I was talking about CiV, I just compared it to CIV. Read it again.

Bye,

Tschuggi

Moderator Action: If you have an issue with a moderator action, please take it up with them via PMs.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Guess the game is decent overall. Still poor AI and unplayable in multiplayer with most medium to large map settings, and with overpriced dlc. At least it had me hooked for a bunch of hours this time around. Will check it out again when more patching is done.

It's come a long way, in that many more core features work now than on release. Release was a broken mess; infinite peace treaties, completely unplayable MP (only patched away recently), ludicrously overpowering units, bugs in saves/loads, etc.

Right now the main factors holding the game back are shoddy coding (it runs at a snails pace when there's no need for it to do so) and the sheer fact that it was never balanced by the designed team before release and so they're still making major gameplay overhauls in patches. The June patch is a great example of that; probably not the last one.

MP was supposedly fixed and the anti double-moving rule helps a lot, but it's still a nightmare trying to play it with more than a few people or on reasonably sized maps.

In other words, this game is getting better but still needs work.

It's been improved with patches, and hopefully dll release and modding will take care of the rest.

I'm just hoping it's lukewarm reception doesn't mean that they will pull back every new idea in the next one (I for one love the hex map, and really like one unit per tile)

I enjoy it a lot more now. When I first bought it, I was massively upset about the lack of information available regarding diplomacy. A lot of the necessary information was left to mystery. Since then, patches have come out and some mods (like the Info Addict) making the game much better to play.

There are many things that still need tweaking. First that comes to mind is diplomacy. There isn't much to it. DoF, Denounce, Don't settle near me, and DoW are about all the player has at their disposal. These are undesirably limited, too. You may have FRIENDLY relations with a leader with no negative modifiers and they still won't sign a DoF. Trading doesn't effect diplomacy at all, yet if you aren't Friendly, trading is pretty one sided. A GUARDED civ will often demand unreasonable terms for a single luxury resource. Also, all diplomacy is temporary since the AI will all sour their relations with you towards the end of the game. Also, the warmonger status needs to be fixed. There is no excuse for getting warmonger status with an ally in the same war. Nor should CS be weighted so heavily in this regard as you capture 1 CS and you are a warmonger to half the leaders.

Second is the AI military abilities. But the AI has really never been able to keep up in war unless you reach back to Civ1 days. Civ5 makes it especially hard for the AI since you can't build massive unit stacks and ranged units can easily eliminate the AI forces. Naval combat is by far the worst I've seen in a civ game with regards to AI skills.

All in all, I have a good time with civ5. But I also return to Civ4 in between Civ5 games.

I just started playing again after a year away from the game. The patches have vastly improved the balance of the game, production times, and the AI. There's a few mods that are a must IMO.

All said, there's still more work to be done for sure, but the game is a solid vanilla foundation. The game has reached the point it should have been at on release. Very much worth playing.

My biggest remaining gripe is diplomacy.

I'm enjoying the game a lot more than I did last autumn. However, the diplomacy is still a game-breaker for me. To have the AI players act as Civ-players instead of leaders of civilizations is, to me, an utterly wrong design decision. It shatters immersion when an AI player complains that "I'm trying to win the game in a similar manner to them". Win the game?? Seriously? I can't understand how anybody thought that was a good idea.

Main difference between single player and multiplayer is diplomacy but now there is no difference only single player is easier?(Human player is allways smarter then AI)

Stupist decission ever

I don't like it at all. I hated Civ 4 the first time I played it and thought maybe if I came back after a year it would be better, I was wrong. Not knocking those who do enjoy it of course, just eagerly Civ 6 is all.

I play Civ 4 from time to time and lurk the OT boards, but really i've moved onto Paradox games.

It's interesting, and some of the ideas are helpful. Diplomacy (as mentioned) is awful, the AI can't fight, the manual and instructions virtually don't exist.

The idea of shaking the customer down for an extra civilization is just lazy marketing.

I wouldn't not buy it for the above reasons.

However, I would refuse to buy it if it had been obvious how buggy the game is. After 12 months it still sucks like a hairy goat.

I guess Civ V is good for newbies and beginners to the series... most of the people who play civ already since the very first beginnings or at least since civ III, have returned to Civ IV and enjoy it because of the fantastic mods and modmods that have been created by the large community there.

Well, you are guessing wrong. Many people (me included) have played the Civ series since Civ I and love Civ V. If you prefer Civ IV that's fine but please don't label all Civ V fans as beginners.

Yeah, man, I thought I'd never leave Civ4 in the dust. But I haven't played a game in months now. Firaxis patches & the mods have made such vast improvements to Civ5 and have improved it to the point where I am enjoying it a lot more than Civ4. I think I've droned on enough on the forums about the bad diplomacy (and I intend on fixing it once the DLL is released). However, Civ5 gives direct control to the player over things that were uncontrollable in Civ4. "We love the King day!" is now controllable, manageable, and has a solid mechanic behind it. The amount of precise control that you can exert over the creation of social policies gives the possibility to have a new experience nearly every game.

If only it weren't for that damn diplomacy. Though, I admit, I'm getting better at handling it.

Top Bottom