Do the Ottomans need a buff?

Do the Ottomans need a buff?

• Yes they do!

Votes: 42 42.4%
  • No they don't!

Votes: 57 57.6%

• Total voters
Does both of the Janissaries perks carry over when you upgrade them?

Maybe:

UU: Devşirme
Cities that don't follow the religion player has founded or don't follow the majority religion of an Empire (if the player didn't found a religion) will give you a free unit every 20-30 turns. Once a player researches Gunpowder these cities build Janissaries at half the usual time and they can be bought instantly at half the usual price.

Just an idea.

Also allow Janissaries to be purchase with faith points.

They have among the best units in the game. The UA is weaker to make up for that, but it's been much improved. In fact, it can be quite powerful. It's not difficult at all to have the most powerful army and navy in the game with them. On top of that, enemy navies end up contributing to them to make them even more powerful.

Complaining that their UA is weak on a Pangaea map is missing the point. Polynesia's UA is next to useless on a Pangaea map and they don't quite have as good units making up for it. Plus, I'd argue that a Janissary and Sipahi are strongest on a Pangaea map, so it evens out. My only complaint is upgraded Landsknechts steal some of the Spiahi's thunder. That unit might need a bit of a change to make up for it.

Their only problem is how thin you need to spread their science. Trying to get both their UUs and their UA means you'll be filling the entire tech tree. I guess you could skip Sipahi though since they're pretty garbage. Better than lancers but I don't know why you'd ever use lancers to begin with.

They're pretty fun though on small continents plus, plenty of room for both naval and land warfare throughout the entire game.

Well, if you plan it carefully, you could possibly capture enemy frigates rather than research your own. So you might not have to research that much on the top of the tree.

I think you generally do need to research most of the tree, though.

Ottomans don't need a buff with how they are in the game, at least in my view.However, I'd love to see them approached different in the next iteration. With how they work currently there isn't much appeal to get me playing them.

Maybe:

UU: Devşirme
Cities that don't follow the religion player has founded or don't follow the majority religion of an Empire (if the player didn't found a religion) will give you a free unit every 20-30 turns. Once a player researches Gunpowder these cities build Janissaries at half the usual time and they can be bought instantly at half the usual price.

Just an idea.

This would a fine idea if the Janissaries were left out, because the Janissary promotion is already referencing to this. Actually the whole Devşirme system was designed and used especially to provide the Janissary regime with troops. Furthermore after 1568 Devşirme happened occasionaly and was abandoned in 1648 for the Janissary corps and early 1700's for the other purposes. So it is actually already in.

Again I want to advocate that "Sufi orders" were implemented in some way for current Civ 5 or a future civilization game. These were a unique aspect in the Ottoman history compared to other muslim empires. They were active from the rise till the collapse of the empire and were socially entangled within the empire. The dergahs (buildings for practizing for Sufism) didn't need to pay taxes and even every sultan was "member"/follower of a certain Sufi order. In fact some were even follower of multiple orders. Another important note is that the Janissary regime had close ties with the Bektashi order. When the Janissay regime was disbanded , the Bektashi order was also banned.
Sufi orders could be either implemented as the UA or UB. For UB dergah's, tekke's or zawiyah's could be used.

If going back to the OP question, I stated already that the Ottomans are not underpowered. But I think that it certainly requires a change for better representation. The barbairy corsair part isn't representative for the whole empire. It could be seen as actions from autonomous rulers in north african provinces of the Ottoman empire.

Ottomans don't need a buff with how they are in the game, at least in my view.However, I'd love to see them approached different in the next iteration. With how they work currently there isn't much appeal to get me playing them.

While that's true, I think some civ would get the short end of the stick in that regard. Or else they'd run the risk of all being played too similarly.

I don't consider their bonuses strictly military. Any UA that buffs naval buffs exploration and trade. No it still doesn't hold up to the economic benefits of turtling, but owning the seas is a fairly big bonus on its own - being able to go to war without losing all your sea trade routes and their corresponding science/tourism boosts.

The Ottoman Empire was so powerful at its peak - but its decline lasted a long time. Something based around religion would emulate this (as it generally gets weaker as the game goes on) - perhaps to do with the Sultan being Caliph of Islam or something...

Always loved playing Sully on an archie map for not just early naval dominance, but complete naval dominance throughout the entire game. I basically farm those arctic/Antarctic snow islands for free ships (and near maintenance free too!), upgrade them into a caravel Zerg force and smash them against another civs (with a strong navy) to take their ships. Before that good luck to the AI touching my trade routes or even trying to land an army on my sovereign soil!

Even on a map that is more balanced land/sea (continents and to an extent fractal) their UA puts every Civ in reach for conquest, and it's the easiest Civ to form a beachhead with when going after a fully developed continent (Zerg em, free ships are throwaway ships!). And you're landing janissaries after?!? Ouch!

If you get to leverage their uniques the ottomans can be pretty awesome. And at least their UA is more an active thing than the Mongol strat of find horses, build Keshiks, go and own face.

Buffed? Oh lord no! However I can understand someone wanting to see a more balanced Civ for all around play as opposed to just purely domination. But really are the Zulus or Mongols geared for all around play either? I think not.

Love playing as Sully!!

Top Bottom