Do you approve of building Lighthouse as the First Fanatannian Wonder ?

Do you approve of building Lighthouse as the First Fanatannian Wonder ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DaveShack looks at the dispatch in his grape juice stained hands again, trying to puzzle out what all the markings mean. It's not a map, not even one of the crude experimental drawings the scholors have been showing off and saying they may understand instantaneously once they have worked out their great philosophy. In fact it isn't technically even writing, as close as we might be to understanding its mysteries. And there is something about the proportions of the drawings, like they don't seem to fit the natural world. Someone is rumored to be working on a very arcane subject called math which is supposed to make it easier to talk about sizes and distances, but it sure doesn't seem like we're going to understand it any time soon.

In any event, one thing about the dispatch is clear -- the coastline that our brave curragh is exploring is very long indeed, as though it might border all the land in the world! What did Culture Consul Provolution tell us this lighthouse thing does? Allows ships to cross to other lands? That's kinda funny, there dont seem to be any other lands.

Several youngsters pass by drinking slightly fermented grape juice and yukking it up about how they drink gallons of the stuff to get a "buzz". Dolts, he thinks to himself, you have to let the stuff age a bit before it gets a real kick. Good thing they dont know about the Presidental cellar. :lol: Sure hope nobody catches on to why I'm reserving a couple of barrels a year of the best grapes for myself! Or where these grape juice stains are coming from -- can't leave making all that wine to others, not and keep it long enough to let it get good.

DaveShack comes out of his daydream with a jolt as he realizes the voting cave entrance is just ahead. Gathering himself up in an image of presidental dignity he enters and proclaims "Wait, this lighthouse might not be such a good idea -- the Inquisitor's reports say it's looking like there are no other lands to discover, so what is the point?" He is a bit taken aback as the crowd gasps, and then starts to snicker. He notices there gaze is directed downward. "Oh no, not again" he groans, "why can't my tailor come up with a belt that actually stays fastened?", and turns away to search for the missing belt -- and the loincloth it is supposed to secure.

Gregski, realising he's all alone, drank a few more, then walked out of the pub. Since he's passing the government cave, he checked in to see what's happening.

"Who is this weird drunk?" asked a non-local obviously not familiar with the oddballs living in the area.

"Ah, that's Gregski, don't worry, he may be drunk, but he's not that bad really. For one thing, he remembers to wear clothes and a belt. When he starts singing, just whack him in the head with a thick plank, and he will stop very quickly."

"So how long has been drunk?"

"About 20 years or so maybe more. The odd thing is, that now and again he is making total sense."

"So you say we found the coast then?"

"Yes, it's just outside. It is where the sea ends, the place where we rescued you yesterday. For the tenth time, you cannot fly over water."

Narrator: It is on record that Gregski has survived where other had not, not through skill, but simply through blind luck. Several times he fell into the water at the bay and off boats to be rescued by alert locals, when something heavy was flying towards his head, he fell over himself. Once he fell from a tall cliff in an isolated corner of the land. As his luck would have it, it was high tide, he fell into the water without crashing into rocks along the way, only to be rescued by a stranded tourist who just happened to be there. By chance a rescue boat arrived only a minute after the incident and Gregski was getting drunk again within half an hour. The greatest mystery though occurred, when armed bandits raided the pub. While they were inside, Gregski oblivious to their presence managed to find his way in for a few dozen drinks. A few minutes of fighting, breaking furniture etc later, one of the locals entered the pub to find Gregski drinking away with the bandits lying unconsciously on the floor. When asked what happened, Gregski responded by singing. Clearly he did not know what happened either.

Exasparated, he continued: "We're on a very large continent with a lot of coastlline, and the Great Lighthouse, as the project is to be known would have helped to find other lands. It no longer looks like the crucial project we thought it would be."

Gregski responded: "But we are stockpiling raw materials, what will we do with all that?"

"Ahh, we have a plan..."

i did support the building of the Great Lighthouse, but now new circumstances have arisen and i have to change my mind. first, we now know we are either on a pangea, or 1 huge and 1 tiny continent. the GL is now not very useful. also, we now know a war against either India or Dutch will be neccessery. we can't build the GL during wartime. that's one less city churning out units, and the AI can already outproduce us. so, even though the poll has been won, i doubt this will get done especially when we are on the brink of war in the forseeable future.

Chieftess said:
Yes, I'm referring to the lighthouse.

BTW, want me to toss you to the lions as bait for more lioncloth apparel?

First it was confusion over GL (Great library or lighthouse or leader?) now I don't know if it's lioncloth or loincloth! :confused: I guess we could make it a lion-skin loin cloth and you could throw me to the loins... :crazyeye:

I still support building the Lighthouse as our first Wonder. I just don't support building it now. I would support building it after we have destroyed the Indians and caged the Dutch. Until we have the expansion issues solved we cannot afford to be building this (or any) wonder.

Hang on a second, this thread is heading towards normal discussion. Ah well. I now share Greekguy's opinion on the Lighthouse that it's not in the national interest any more as the size of our continent is very large. A few extra galleys when they are available would be a better way to spend our meagre resources. On the other hand, we need to plan to build a wonder at some stage to justify our cultural existence.

If we try to build it (Remember Russia in DG4?), we'll have atleast 1 other city (if we don't build the 3rd now) building swords. We're being pinched in, it's no time for the lighthouse, unfortunately. Besides, being a pangaea, the Great Lighthouse is better suited for archipelago maps.

WE voted for Lighthouse, and we need the Golden Age immediately after Republic to get our way, Lighthouse will give us that Golden Age. Also, galleys and later caravels will play a major role in the game, as we need to crawl the cities around cultural borders, attack distant cities and so on. I prefer to bring both infantry and cavalry 5 moves per turn than to crawl by land, maybe through cultural borders. We are 4 seafaring Civs so far, so I guess we should be addressing that problem too with the very long naval distances we are facing.

Top Bottom