Do You Hold A Grudge?

Apparently V bombed so much that they're just re-releasing IV with some upgraded diplo text...

yay!....I do remember a long time ago there was this pack for updating diplo text with "quotes" that the leaders may have said in real life (or befit their personalities better)

is there a thread where the forumites have made comical suggestions for alternative diplo text?

Some of the diplo texts are pretty funny, especially the "sing Kumbayah" one. I make it a point to kill whoever that says that to me pronto, or at least make his life extremely miserable (here, Monty, Monty, Monty...!).

Shaka and Montezuma are probably the most hated leaders in the game. I personally have a love/hate relationship with them both. I love to hate them that is. ;)

edit: btw, same goes for my ex-Gf

^I've never had a problem with Shaka, although he rarely shows up in my games. I've just finished a game where he gifted me Artillery and Stealth. :smug:

Cyrus always annoys me. He has this habit of expanding very rapidly and often over the resources you were planning to settle near. Before you know it, he has half the map, a large army and a substantial tech lead. Gah.

^I've never had a problem with Shaka, although he rarely shows up in my games. I've just finished a game where he gifted me Artillery and Stealth. :smug:

Same here. Although I don't see Shaka very often, he usually either ends up as one of my friends or is so far away that the only time I see him is when making trade deals. Of course, maybe it will be otherwise in the future.

My first game, you declared war on me for no good reason. Every game I since then, you have been there. You may begin by acting nice towards me, but it is all a sham. You declare war, and I end it. Goodbye, Isabella.

Moctezuma. I always play on random personalities though. Never to bad about grudges though really. Though I still hate him, I have to tell myself it just looks like him. Every game I had with him before I started using Random Personalities was awful. Though. it's hard to hate him too since I won my first non-time victory with him conquering the world.

Also, not as much of a hatred, but Genghis Khan. Everytime I see him I just get scared. I think it comes from the whole taking over 22% of the world thing the read guy did. I get worried whenever I see him that he will end me. Though I never see him in my games usually, lol. Thist ime though, it seems that he plans on doing the whole ending thing to me.We don't even have a border, we're seperated by the Byzantines. Yet he still is sending a stack of doom at me.

Personally I am not very inclined to try random personality. Sure, once you know the personality of all the leaders it give some predictability to the game, but i feel like consistent personalities also give the game more charm and ambiance. More like characters in a story instead of random AIs in a game :p

Personally I am not very inclined to try random personality. Sure, once you know the personality of all the leaders it give some predictability to the game, but i feel like consistent personalities also give the game more charm and ambiance. More like characters in a story instead of random AIs in a game :p

I agree. I enjoy making fun of Monty's idiocy. Doesn't everyone? A peaceful monty, or even a sane one, just feels wrong...:lol:

For some reason I quickly become friends after meeting Sury in every game, but within 50 turns we are mortal enemies. Mainly because he always either vassals to or vassalises a rival of mine. I swear he has the strongest compulsion to vassalise out of all the AI, he submits even when hes doing well. :S

For some reason I quickly become friends after meeting Sury in every game, but within 50 turns we are mortal enemies. Mainly because he always either vassals to or vassalises a rival of mine. I swear he has the strongest compulsion to vassalise out of all the AI, he submits even when hes doing well. :S

I have noticed that too...

My first game, you declared war on me for no good reason. Every game I since then, you have been there. You may begin by acting nice towards me, but it is all a sham. You declare war, and I end it. Goodbye, Isabella.

The trick with Izzy is sharing her religion, after that shes one of the strongest allies you can make.

The trick with Izzy is sharing her religion, after that shes one of the strongest allies you can make.

Mind, sharing her religion will probably make everyone ELSE in the world hate you. Then she'll hate you again when you go to free religion due to all the negative modifiers you accumulate for refusing to gift her every tech you've ever researched ever.

I find the best way to handle her is to swap to her religion, refuse to give her anything, be nice to the non-zealots in the game, then invade her as soon as you have Muskets or Rifles. But that's just me.

My least favorite rival is Saladin. He's a Zealot, he's no slouch when it comes to building military/teching, and protective makes it a pain to properly invade him until very late in the game.

Aside from that, I generally do my best to entirely destroy Cathrine when she shows up in my games. She's too dangerous to not attack, and even if you vassalize her she will still constantly spam spies to pillage your resources and poison your wells. The game is better off without her.

from AJ11: Some of the diplo texts are pretty funny, especially the "sing Kumbayah" one. I make it a point to kill whoever that says that to me pronto, or at least make his life extremely miserable (here, Monty, Monty, Monty...!).

I think my fave diplo text ever came from vanilla civ IV, when I was just starting out, had not even the slightest clue about diplo, I'm just running around on warrior difficulty, declaring on EVERYBODY....I couldn't finish cyrus off for some reason, so I accepted peace while I beat on some others, then returned to him....if there wasn't a civ ON the planet that still wasn't ruins who WASN'T furious with me, it was a miracle....so I open the diplo screen with cyrus (why doesn't anyone want to TRADE wif me...snuffle...:*( )....and cyrus says:

I have three words for you....."Increase. your. medication! "

from AJ11: Some of the diplo texts are pretty funny, especially the "sing Kumbayah" one. I make it a point to kill whoever that says that to me pronto, or at least make his life extremely miserable (here, Monty, Monty, Monty...!).

I think my fave diplo text ever came from vanilla civ IV, when I was just starting out, had not even the slightest clue about diplo, I'm just running around on warrior difficulty, declaring on EVERYBODY....I couldn't finish cyrus off for some reason, so I accepted peace while I beat on some others, then returned to him....if there wasn't a civ ON the planet that still wasn't ruins who WASN'T furious with me, it was a miracle....so I open the diplo screen with cyrus (why doesn't anyone want to TRADE wif me...snuffle...:*( )....and cyrus says:

I have three words for you....."Increase. your. medication! "

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Soon I will have a screenie of how much Kublai Khan hates me in my most recent game. Possibly tonight. I challenge you to guess how many negative diplo points I have with him, and I didn't even declare war on him!!! He makes me so mad...:mad:

I challenge you to guess how many negative diplo points I have with him, and I didn't even declare war on him!!! He makes me so mad...

I've made COUNTLESS demands on a leader (even a vassal) once below pleased to drive their diplo to uber-furious....only way to get rid of some of those vassals once they've outgrown their usefulness.

I've made COUNTLESS demands on a leader (even a vassal) once below pleased to drive their diplo to uber-furious....only way to get rid of some of those vassals once they've outgrown their usefulness.

Yes, but just to make it clear, I made no demands of him, I am the same religion as him, and I'm on Britain while he is in Europe!!! (played RFC Earth map with random starting spots). He just flat out refuses to even try being nice... The only thing I did to provoke him was to refuse his urgings to DoW on the founder of our religion.

He DoW'ed me, as well as several others in our religion, when I had just gotten Iron Working. I am now almost done with assembly line, and despite the fact that he has over 100 war weariness, and I have made a permanent alliance with the dutch who are the largest and most powerful civ on earth, he refuses to make peace for any price lower than two higher-end techs!! HE'S EVIL.

I think that it has something to do with the fact that a city sits in disputed land between us, it has revolted against him and tried to join me at least 10 times, and he refused to let them. That is likely the cause of all this...

Here ya go...

Notice the "Past events have drawn our people apart". I think that's from the city revolting...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom