Do You Play An Instrument?

cgannon64

BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!
I will probably be taking up drums shortly. I'm in a band...er...sort of. :p (Well I am if you can call a guitarist, a drummer with a snare and no sticks, and a bassist with no bass or skills a band!) Anyway does anyone else here play an instrument? How good are you? What are some tips for someone learning an instrument (and possibly specific tips for drummers)?

It can't be that hard...can it? ;)

EDIT: Blah, forgot poll.

I used to play the piano a long time ago :)

I have a piano and a tenor saxophone. Don't play them too often though.

Im one of those "I want to play an instrument, but I cant find the time or patience" people.

I've been playing the Violin for 12 years, although not as seriously as I used to.

I used to be, but now I'll actually find the time, since I sort of have a reason.

Oh I played trumpet when I was little (like 4th grade) and played piano in about 6th, but quit.

Damn, I wish I'd kept up with that (and kept the actual piano). Being able to play piano could potentially help alot...

I wish I had too, but some things like hobbies got in the way as wargaming clubs fell on the same day as practice :p

I play the piano. Pretty seriously, too, although I don't practice nearly enough. I can spend more energy playing the piano then running a mile sometimes.

I also used to play the clarinet in band, but the band conductors were just too annoying that I stopped. I do occasionally play some Zelda music on it now and then...

I used to play the recorder (the early flute) which despite its abuse in schools is quite a challenging instrument and ideal for music of the renaissance and baroque. I try to play occasionally.

BTW there is evidence that playing an instrument is great for your brain - it postpones the mental deterioration that comes with age! So keep on playing!!

Originally posted by Achinz
I used to play the recorder (the early flute) which despite its abuse in schools is quite a challenging instrument and ideal for music of the renaissance and baroque. I try to play occasionally.

Is it actually hard to play well? Recorder was mandatory in like 2nd grade for me, it was a joke...

Hey andvruss any tips on learning drumming?

So far I just plan on banging away. I'll probably try to listen to songs and follow the rythym, although that can be hard with the rest of hte music.

I think the hardest thing to learn will be using the foot pedals independently of my hands (kind of like the rub your stomach/pat your head) although I guess it can be learned. Ideally I wouldn't be playing two independent beats anyway, but if need be I can probably do it.

Originally posted by cgannon64

Is it actually hard to play well? Recorder was mandatory in like 2nd grade for me, it was a joke...

Hey andvruss any tips on learning drumming?

So far I just plan on banging away. I'll probably try to listen to songs and follow the rythym, although that can be hard with the rest of hte music.

I think the hardest thing to learn will be using the foot pedals independently of my hands (kind of like the rub your stomach/pat your head) although I guess it can be learned. Ideally I wouldn't be playing two independent beats anyway, but if need be I can probably do it.

The coordination is very difficult. I guess it is something you have to learn over time.
My teacher has me doing Latin and Cuabn beats very often. Latin beats are very difficult, and are regarded less than rock beats, since everyone wants to play rock beats and rock to there favorite tunes :p.

I guss also almost always sit straight when playing. I know some people who have played for a long time, and slouched over while playing, and there backs are messed.

I do want to rock to my favorite tunes. :p

And the White Stripes are one of my favorite bands, so I won't be challenged. ;)

EDIT: Hmm I never thought about posture. Oh well. At least I get to sit, unlike the poor guitarists. ;)

I do want to rock to my favorite tunes. :p

And the White Stripes are one of my favorite bands, so I won't be challenged. ;)

Even a beginner could drum along to The Hardest Button To Button (at least the beginning) :p.

A beginner could drum to any Stripes song.

Jack White was literally playing with his guitar and he said, "Meg, try playing drums" and that's as much as she has learned. :lol:

I was listening to Seven Nation Army this morning and thinking about the drumming, and I realized its just the bass drum over and over and over. Towards the middle she adds a regular drum (I dont' know the names yet :mischief: ) but its going along at the same time as the bass drum. Same thing with the cymbals.

I figure I can start out as Meg White, then work my way up to Ringo status...;)

I play Cello and Piano. I havnt practiced very hard in the past, but now im starting to take it more seriously. I also used to play French Horn but the band teacher annoied me so much i quit. Soon i will be starting out learning the Guitar, so that should be fun :)

My mom taught me how to play the piano when I was in elementary school, but now I hardly ever play. In middle school I learned how to play the clarinet and got a drum set. I got pretty good at drums but don't like them as much as guitar which I started playing almost two years ago.

I figure I can start out as Meg White, then work my way up to Ringo status...

Don't you mean the other way around? :lol:

You know the old joke: Ringo was not only a bad drummer, he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles :p

I guess to achieve a high level of proficiency in any instrument is difficult. For a start one needs to discard the cheap plastic instruments used in schools. The professionally made recorders are like all professional instruments objects of beauty in looks as well as sound. The tone from my German-made wooden Moeck is mellow and rich.

There are advanced techniques for phrasing eg double-tonguing, and rapid passage work requires considerable dexterity in the fingers and thumb (the left thumbnail being used to alter the pitch by an octave).

There's no denying the universal truth: Practice makes perfect!

Top Bottom