Do you suffer from Restartitis?

No restarts here. Play what you get and dig yourself out of any disadvantages.
So many complain about lack of challenge, but restart until one gets the perfect spot...? :hmm:

(I'm not saying it's you! :beer:
I just feel the need to find desert as Mali or Tundra as Russia rather than having it from the start. My capital quite often won't be my best city and that's absolutely fine for me!)

it isnt about a challenge. there isn't much of a challenge in this game even on diety unless you try to go peaceful on diety or happen to get 3 barb camps in the first 10 turns. sure there have been a few starts where I didn't win because of the start but that is rarely the case. the problem is most starts pigeonhole you into the exact same game you just played only you are building campuses instead of theater squares because of your leader. im done with all of that and just wanna play a relaxed game that doesn't require me to steamroll an idiot civ who mindlessly kills himself on my fortified scout on the other side of the river, just to have land.

i stopped playing diety a while ago, because it's not so much more challenging as it is just more tedious.

No restarts here. Play what you get and dig yourself out of any disadvantages.
So many complain about lack of challenge, but restart until one gets the perfect spot...? :hmm:

(I'm not saying it's you! :beer:
I just feel the need to find desert as Mali or Tundra as Russia rather than having it from the start. My capital quite often won't be my best city and that's absolutely fine for me!)

Perfect doesn't necessarily mean good though. I'm fine and happy with 12 mountains and desert... as long as it *looks* cool.

edit; hahaaha... when does a desert look cool?

edit2: if you say 'at night' you have zero sense of humor

Last edited:
I will restart if I cannot take advantage of the civ's features (Indonesia landlocked, Canada not near tundra, Mali not near desert, etc.).

I restart more than I play.

I take the Marie Kondo approach to rerolls - if a start does not bring me joy, I toss it away.

This has not been working out for me though, as I only have a few hours per week to play. I often waste them looking for the most joyful start.
At least I started bringing a book.

It varies by civ. I like to try and play suboptimal starts but playing as Mali (for example) with no desert just isn't entertaining

Yes, but my restartitis hits at the classical or medieval era. Sometimes I plan to play one long game of civ in a free day only to find by the end of the day that I played the beginnings of 10 different civ games.

I am with @agonistes , I will play any start for 20-30;turns just to see how it goes.
If I just want a good start, I will firetuner one in because to me it is so much faster than reroll with the same results. But it is not often.
I find the bad civs like England and Norway get bad starts that sometimes need buffing while I have never has to restart with Gorgo who I often play a lot.
Yesterday I played a Mali with 3 desert tile start, I rerolled that because I would have preferred none amd more choppable ground.

I restart until I get a map that actually suits the civ I am playing. I do not want to play Mali with no desert, Egypt with no river, Phoenicia with no coast, etc. I am playing those civs for their specialties.

That said, getting a desert as Mali was way harder than it should be.

I restart until I get a map that actually suits the civ I am playing. I do not want to play Mali with no desert, Egypt with no river, Phoenicia with no coast, etc. I am playing those civs for their specialties.

That said, getting a desert as Mali was way harder than it should be.
This. For me it's partly for RP reasons as well (if I'm playing a northern European Civ I will restart out of a jungle start, for instance).

Only when I get coastal starts with no fresh water in sight... coastal cities still suck in general (as so do coastal civs with coast start bias... except for Australia).

Hello Civ GS Fans
Finally a thread I finally fall into. 20 turns in and boom re roll map. I don’t use it as a cheat mode but I want to enjoy my one day a week for GS so why start off in a rut. Some who play at the highest level might say this is the challenge and how to master the game better / quicker. For me I play on Prince sometimes King and play simply for relaxation from work all week.

Brew God

I haven’t restarted once since... civ4? OTOH, I have played exclusively as Rome (at prince) since I started civvin with civ2.

First game as a civ - no restarts. But if the map didn’t play that much into the civ’s strengths, then I may run another game or two in the future - this time with restarting if it doesn’t feel like an improvement from the first game. Looking at you, Netherlands...

I will restart for many of the same reasons that have been mentioned, but sometimes I'll restart because the map just looks, well, "ugly." Weird mountains jutting up in weird places. Random desert tiles next to grasslands. So, for example, I might restart a Maori game if I end up settling on an island with 3-4 desert tiles--even though, objectively, I can use them for districts and be fine.

I got a hilarious start as the Inca yesterday, unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot.

It was on the coast, and there were two tiles on each side of the one the settler started on. Then, directly to the south, was a mountain range that blocked me off from the rest of the continent. So I figure, fine, I'll get to the Inca mountain tunnel and dig my way through! So I do that, get one tunnel and on the other side is a single tile within the whole mountain range so I have to dig myself out even more.
When I finally managed to get out I couldn't settle anywhere because the Khmer and India had settled their cities in a way that no city of mine could survive the loyalty.

It was kind of a shame because I actually enjoyed the whole "digging my way out" start, haha.

I usually give it a go for awhile to see how it goes. Sometimes a sub-optimal start can generate a very worthwhile game. I don't restart very often. I quite often play a game I know I will lose to the end because I'm still having fun seeing if I can salvage the situation. Occasionally, I will restart right away because the start is just too horrid.

I sometimes restart, and sometimes don't.

But if I really want to see things, I save my game before I set down my first city, then hit the tilde key on the keyboard (the squiggly line key just to the left of number 1 or just under the escape key), and then type in "reveal all" in the upper left. If I like the looks of the map, then I'll restart using my save, that way everything will be all dark again. Yeah, I feel like I shouldn't be doing this, but is it any different than moving your units around until you can see some of the map and then reloading? This just saves time, plus I do this on the first turn so none of the AI cities are in place yet so you really don't see where everyone is at by just skimming the area around your units.

Most of the time I Play the map but yeah when I get someone that depends on terrain I’d like just a bit of that favorable terrain to use

I never restart just to get a better map start. But I don't finish every game I start either. I will often quit around the start of the middle ages if I am way ahead or way behind. Although I am finishing games more with Gathering Storm. The new mechanics like natural disasters and the World Congress are keeping me more engaged than before.

I'm not as bad as I was with Civilization 5 ... I'd often restart because I want to be on a "Europe" landmass, because I like the colors better ...

I do still restart, like if my land doesn't look "fun" to play, like with no river or bad resources, and such. And I agree with @blackcatatonic, I'll often consider my "roleplaying" when deciding if I'll restart or not.

You can bet I restarted this game ..

20180509181054_1.jpg

Top Bottom