Do you think Civ V is doomed?

It's doomed. At least for me. Don't feel like playing CiV and that's usually the end of any game. Which is a shame though since I played previous versions much and much more. This game, after 2-3 wins I called it quits. Been playing other games now, and since they are actually fun to play I think I'll stick with those and see how CiVI will turn out (won't pre-order it though).

But somewhere I'm still hoping for a CiV beyond the sword or something simular that will make this game fun again. Not holding my breath though.

My opinion if Civ5 is doomed?... no cause of the .dll... is it a damn shame that it's buggy and all the other complaints. yeah it is, should've shipped clean even if the mechanics (1upt, diplomacy-backstab-denonunce, etc) are a love-hate with the 'core fanbase. Is this the end of Civ? no cause if i take a haitus like i did from civ4 vanilla to bts, and i find that civ5 super-terrific-happy-xpak fixed nearly everything wrong, then were back to saying hey Civ6 is gonna be awesome look at all the fixes for Civ5. circle of life.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
But lemme add, that the general consensus (here or in some unknown corner of the Civ-Universe) over quality (offered or predictable) has everything to do with how serious we are about playing. Oxymoron, yet - i wonder.
Life goin' back & forth full-circle(s) - indeed.

I vote for doomed. I bought it a couple of days after it came out. Played it - or at least tried to - for about a week and just gave up on it. I re-installed CIV4 and am now back to playing that.

Too boring, too slow, too lopsided, too much glitz & not enough content that works.

Way off-topic but it is a funny coincidence that the 20.12.2012 in our calendar is the last day of the current b'aktun. Not that anything special is likely to happen, same as when our own millenium was.

We are also getting close to the transition between the astrological Ages of Pisces and Aquarius. I think that's the best way to look at it, as an astrological transition rather than an apocalypse.

But this gaming franchise, that is in the middle stages of an apocalypse. It's not pretty, it's a situation of "HOW OR WHY COULD A DEVELOPER, GIVEN VAST STRIDES IN COMPUTING POWER, MAKE THE AI DUMBER AND ACT LIKE IT'S AN ACCEPTABLE ADDITION TO THE SERIES!!" which frustration cannot be over-caps locked. And then they went on top of that and only provided a single interesting or challenging victory condition (culture). I have faith in the community though, I've seen some really remarkable things come out of C&C, the present GODDAMN DISASTER WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BREAK THE ONLY PART OF THE GAME I ENJOY ANYMORE mod/patching incompatibilities draws the picture of a beligerent cruel gaming studio and no I will not buy their DLC, they can jump in a lake, wasting their time coding that crap when we still need serious patches to the core game.

'A new dawn' mod build on top of 'Rise of Mankind' mod has unit stack limit. I've been playing MP with 6 unit limit with a great success (sometimes one of the AIs would get stuck and not end the turn, so i would need to sign in with another pc and take over the AI and end the turn for it, but that's the only and rare problem i've had).
it's quite game changing and a lot of fun, especially now that cities can have only 6 units in them, so defending around the city is also important.

'A new dawn' mod build on top of 'Rise of Mankind' mod has unit stack limit. I've been playing MP with 6 unit limit with a great success (sometimes one of the AIs would get stuck and not end the turn, so i would need to sign in with another pc and take over the AI and end the turn for it, but that's the only and rare problem i've had).
it's quite game changing and a lot of fun, especially now that cities can have only 6 units in them, so defending around the city is also important.

I wouldnt mind stack limits, but 1upt is too low. 5-6 max is good. Just so the AI doesnt send 40-50 units at a city that has maybe 10-15 defending it like what happened in several Civ4 games i played.

Yes, CiV is doomed, but not for any of the reasons you'll list.

It's greatest flaw, and perhaps most egregious mistake, is its implementation of DLC. DLC creates too many issues with savegame files to allow a healthy SG community. Add already existing problems with patches breaking savegame files and it's no surprise the SG community is dead.

Without SGs, all the rest starts to fade.

"SG community"? Huh?
Succession Games.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168

I don't even play in them, but I know they're core to the success of CIV as well as the success of this site.

Anyway, the issue is savegame file compatibility, which DLC totally mucks up. Even if there are workable solutions, it shouldn't be a barrier players need to overcome, especially since anyone playing a CiV SG is already putting up with enough flaws.

It's greatest flaw, and perhaps most egregious mistake, is its implementation of DLC. DLC creates too many issues with savegame files to allow a healthy SG community. Add already existing problems with patches breaking savegame files and it's no surprise the SG community is dead.

The same problem is with expansions too... So what's the problem?
BTW, did dragon age fall with DLC? DLC isn't that bad if you think about it logically, comparing it to expansions.

Expansions are far less frequent, and include far more features that would attract players to purchase them.

BTW, did dragon age fall with DLC? DLC isn't that bad if you think about it logically, comparing it to expansions.
Except it's not comparable to expansions. Expansions don't cause problems at release, for starters.

I don't know about doomed.

However, I haven't played Civ V for months. I had some spare time yesterday and decided to fire it up and see how the patch worked. I got to the "Select DirectX version"-window, stared at it a while, and closed it. I just couldn't play it, and I fired up Civ IV instead.

I was one of those defending Civ V in the first weeks after release, but I must concede that I was wrong. I find it hard to articulate why I can't play the game anymore. It's not the sub-par AI or poor diplomacy. It's not anything specific like that. It just doesn't feel like Civ to me, it doesnt scratch my Civ itch at all, an itch I've had since Civ1.

For me, the worst part is that with Civ V out, playing older Civs is not as enjoyable as it used to be.

DLC will cause some incompatibility between saves, no doubt about that. Basically there needs to be option to turn all DLC content off to keep SGs working. However, gameplay changing mods are even bigger compatibility issue. This is one reason why balance mods are not really an answer. If people need to use different kind of mods to get the game playable, SG- and MP-communities are all but gone.

However, I haven't played Civ V for months. I had some spare time yesterday and decided to fire it up and see how the patch worked. I got to the "Select DirectX version"-window, stared at it a while, and closed it. I just couldn't play it, and I fired up Civ IV instead.
This is EXACTLY how I feel about Civ V, too. I just have a physical repulsion towards it.

I was one of those defending Civ V in the first weeks after release, but I must concede that I was wrong. I find it hard to articulate why I can't play the game anymore. It's not the sub-par AI or poor diplomacy. It's not anything specific like that. It just doesn't feel like Civ to me, it doesnt scratch my Civ itch at all, an itch I've had since Civ1.

For me, the worst part is that with Civ V out, playing older Civs is not as enjoyable as it used to be.

I feel similar about vanilla but adding some mods can make the game fun again. In fact, that's also the way I feel about Civ4.

Right on SG's have always been a part of civ games, but now they want to destroy that.

You typicaly have one to two years between expansions SG's never last that long. this is not about dragon age this is about civ 5 please stay on topic.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about Civ V, too. I just have a physical repulsion towards it.

I think most hadcore civ fans do, most of the people defending the game like more simplistic games with very little depth. I can only hope they will make a the next civ cater to the long time fans more.

Dragon age didn't fail because Dragon Age was an excellent game. Honestly the DLC in Dragon Age sucked. The expansions were ok, but I wasn't a big fan of them either. DLC and expansions are just a way for money to be sucked from the community. If you like the game, then you'll buy the DLC, because why not, at the very least your further contributing to a game you felt was good.

I prefer expansions because they usually have much better quality than DLC, they provide more in one package, and their a onetime investment. I would rather pay $40 for an expansion than $10 dollars for 4 packs of dlc. It's a lot like, I would rather buy a car at the dealer, than have to pay every month to eventually pay the bill off.

I like all the revisionist history in this thread. Civ 4 and Civ 3 were even worse games at launch than Civ 5 is currently, I never thought Civ 3 was a good game until Conquests came out and I never enjoyed Civ 4 that much until Beyond the Sword. I'm sure in the future Civ 5 will be a great game, the fundamentals for one are all there, and I still enjoy the vanilla version more than I did past vanilla Civ games.

Top Bottom