Do you use carriers?

I pretty much only use them on huge archipelago maps. On continents, by the time they come around, I usually have a foothold on the other landmasses, or are otherwise unecessary. On pangaea they are nearly pointless to build. They are neat looking though, as others have said. :)

Carriers are essential to the enjoyment of the game. Civ II allowed 20 units and were too powerfull. In Civ III, the programmers overreacted and dropped it down to an almost useless 4. From the discussion I see I'm not the only one to use the Editor to beef up my Carriers {usually 11 - 3 fighters and 8 bombers}. After all, in the real world, "Super" Carriers like the Nimitz Class nukes really are that powerfull.
I use the extended commands to give my carriers names like "Enterprise", or "Ark Royal", and I use them mostly to soften-up enemy ships before attacking them with battleships. They're also great in eliminating enemy resourses during a war. I just wish CivIII had cargo ships to sink!
I also agree that except in scenarios, I've never seen the AI build a Carrier.

Carriers are essential to the enjoyment of the game. Civ II allowed 20 units and were too powerfull. In Civ III, the programmers overreacted and dropped it down to an almost useless 4. From the discussion I see I'm not the only one to use the Editor to beef up my Carriers {usually 11 - 3 fighters and 8 bombers}. After all, in the real world, "Super" Carriers like the Nimitz Class nukes really are that powerfull.

Never built a carrier, never intend to: too expensive & time consuming for no real benefit. If a carrier actually came with air units already in place, it would be worth while, but it doesn't & I've never seen a situation where the inconvenience was enough to justify building a carrier to overcome it. This without even considering whether the game lasts long enough to get a carrier into the water in the first place; usually, it doesn't.

kk

the default settings for the carrier unit render it almost useless imho. i've experiemented in the past w/ ramping up the transport capacity for the carrier units and it's paid great dividends. by this i mean that the AI uses them and more importantly, fills them.

i am also a firm believer that carriers, in real life, are the kings of the seas now and have replaced the BBs. they offer an almost unfathomable projection of power...

another thing i don't like about the default carriers is that they set up to carry bomber units. we all know that B-17s (ie the default bomber unit) did not fly off the decks of carriers. so i often found that a bit perplexing. thus i altered it around some even more to restrict certain aircraft to the carriers and disallow others. much more like real life imho :)

in sum, i think carrier units are vastly underpowered in the default game. they deserve greater transport capacity imo to better reflect their tremendous ability to project their power (or their air wing's power).

in vanilla civ they were useful, i find the range of bombers in c3c makes carriers less useful

i am also a firm believer that carriers, in real life, are the kings of the seas now and have replaced the BBs. they offer an almost unfathomable projection of power...

another thing i don't like about the default carriers is that they set up to carry bomber units. we all know that B-17s (ie the default bomber unit) did not fly off the decks of carriers. so i often found that a bit perplexing. thus i altered it around some even more to restrict certain aircraft to the carriers and disallow others. much more like real life imho :)

in sum, i think carrier units are vastly underpowered in the default game. they deserve greater transport capacity imo to better reflect their tremendous ability to project their power (or their air wing's power).

thats exactly what i did in my own game:lol:

you can restrict certain aircraft from landing/rebasing/loading onto the carriers by flagging them to carry only air units w/ the tactical missile flag...and of course, flagging the fighter aircraft (or only the ones that are desired) w/ the tactical missile flag :) this keeps the large bombers from getting onto the CVs :D

on all units in the editor, there is a load option. if you uncheck it for bombers, then they will not be able to land.:cool:

i cant believe that none of you knew that:lol:

The next problem with the not using bombers on carriers thing is that the jet fighters bombing ability is pathetic, it mostly misses and if it hits, only 1 hp is taken. You need modded attack craft to try to get the true power a modern aircraft carrier represents. I'd love to see some kind of scenario that has FA-18 Super Hornets as they really are, an awesome projection of military power.

yes, i think that of all the stats for the units in [c3c], the ones most underpowered are the carriers and the air units...most notably the jet aircraft. of course :) i've done some work w/ modding them and found that nicking the bombardment no's up some and ramping up the transport capcity for the CVs are a nice start in terms of simulating the power projection thing.

an alternative could be to add in some type of attack aircraft w/ crappy a/d values (less the the fighter/jet fighter) but some juicy bombardment no's (but less than the bombers).

the load feature and the rebase feature are two wholly different unit actions :) and iirc, the rebase range for all aircraft (it's hardcoded) is 1.5 times the operational range. i might be off some w/ the exact no. but it's certainly longer than the op range.

here's the exact setup to prevent certain air units from landing on carriers:

flag all of the air units you'd want to be able to load/rebase onto carriers w/ the 'tactical missile' flag in the editor.

flag the carrier units as able to a.) transports only aircraft (default setting) and b.) transports tactical missiles. this will prevent missiles from loading onto the carriers (although the nimitz class is loaded w/ tomahawks, but that's another matter altogether).

this format will prevent air units without the aforementioned setup from loading onto and rebasing onto the carrier units. i tested it thoroughly some time ago and have implemented it into a few of my projects. i mean, it's unconscionable imo to have medium and large bombers land on the decks of carriers - even the 4 acre nimitz class cv's. it took a great deal of ingenuity to even get the light naval fighters on and off of them. of course, this is just me be an historical stickler :D but it's worth considering imho :groucho:

no they cant, ive tried

One doesn't argue with El Justo about units such as carriers. Especially since TCW, TCW 50's, TVW, and I think very late in the game in AoI there are also carriers. Though admittedly I do get strange errors (probably too many units) and I can't get that far. England probably contributes to that (since I swear they create a new unit for every raw material that gets spawned). More evidence of this is trying to invade England...

Then try it before posting to the contrary. :) Tank Guy's right, there isn't anybody else's word I would trust more when it came to modding carriers.

Top Bottom