DoC 1.15 Released!

What good are 1.15 strategy guides once 1.16 is out?

When an update comes out the creator or someone else just needs to make an update to account for what the update updated. To port a guide from Civ 4 to DOC means porting across 10+ years of updates. A lot harder.

Also, I dare everyone to post a 1.15 UHV Babylon victory guide. Egypt and Kongo

Kongo is actually very possible, just very luck-dependent. You need the following factors to come together:
  • For UHV 1 (15% of Apostolic Palace votes):
    • A "strong" Reformation - the more civs that flip to Protestantism, the better.
    • Quick spread of Catholicism to Luanda (or w/e capital).
    • Plague in Europe helps.
    • A large capital (I find 1S of starting plot is better, as it lets you get an extra 3 Food tile). Running Redistribution helps too.
    • Small colonies.
  • For UHV 2 (Slave trade):
    • Successful Iberian colonizers. Both Portugal and Spain tend to pay more for slaves than other civs.
    • Good rolls on slave production from Impi kills.
    • European civs in general doing well enough to have surplus gold for slaves.
I found UHV 3 very easy once these two conditions are satisfied (playing on Monarch/Normal). Just run Elective/(Citizenship)/Slavery/Regulated Trade and you should coast to the victory. Settling South/East Africa is optional, and I prefer instead to conquer Mali, particularly with the revamps to West Africa adding more resources. The civic set-up is meant to maximize potential commerce bonuses from the resources in both Congo proper and West Africa (Mines, Pastures, Plantations), while Elective synergizes well with the Congolese UP. This UHV is also easier with the recent tech nerfs to Euros.

Unfortunately, with the luck involved, you usually play for either 30 minutes or 1.5 h before realizing if the game will proceed to UHV 3, with the two time checkpoints corresponding to either an impossible UHV 1 or UHV 2.

Conditions 1 and 2 are admittedly somewhat contradictory.

The stability mechanism seems weird. I playtested a game as the British, and I collapsed after couple of turns of being unstable. Earlier you had to get to collapsing for this. Also I don't understand what I did so wrong, I didn't colonize because I wanted to experiment with a strategy of a limited or non-expansionist England which would focus only on tech and economy. Shortly after discovering economics I collapsed ! In an earlier game as the Babylonians, I settled a city on the Persian gulf coast, and it immediately tanked my stability, then after a few turns of being 'unstable' I collapsed! It seems almost too much pressure to keep a very fixed course and makes for a totally inflexible gameplay.

Please share the save where this happens (collapse on unstable).

I don't know, but it's not intended to happen. I would like to find out what exactly happened.

Please share the save where this happens (collapse on unstable).
Okay the unstable-collapse happened again. Not for the civ I was playing, but for the Romans in an Egypt run. Attached the save below. Also the Phoenecians collapsed after I took Sur. Just three or so turns after. It did not show they were collapsing.

Attachments

• Egyptian playtest.CivBeyondSwordSave
    579.9 KB · Views: 282
Okay the unstable-collapse happened again. Not for the civ I was playing, but for the Romans in an Egypt run. Attached the save below. Also the Phoenecians collapsed after I took Sur. Just three or so turns after. It did not show they were collapsing.
Rome is already collapsed in this save, so that doesn't help. I conquered Sur but Phoenicia did not collapse later. Please share a save from exactly before the collapse occurs.

Top Bottom