1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use Fisheries?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Builderphile

Builderphile Chieftain

Love 'em. As a builderphile, I have an addiction to improvements, and fisheries are my favourite because they are "unique", and require some planning (moving Liang around and coordinating builders).

Plus, it has always annoyed me at how little you can improve the ocean tiles. Fisheries (and seasteads) fill that void.

Jkchart, Pietato and AvianBritish like this.
  2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

I use them sometimes but I rarely get them early unless I have some serious naval spots.

3. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

Never...:undecide:

Due to lackluster sea tiles, I rarely settle close to the sea to begin with - only enough sea tiles for a harbor and some resources. Even if I do settle on the coast, I’d rather put promotions into other governors first, at which point Liang’s other promotions are not as relevant anymore. I use her only for the builder charge and faster construction.

Also, food is rarely an issue because I mostly run internal trade routes. Not to mention that there is no real benefit in going that tall that you would need so much food.

4. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Could have put a neighborhood on that island. Would solve the housing issue. (I assume there won't be any navy partisans either).

5. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Too much micromanagement.

I did use them some times after the were introduced, and their fine balance wise, but moving the governor around all the time is just not fun. They should just have made it so that unlocking the promotion allows you to construct it, end of story. If they feel it was overpowered, tone down the number you can have in a city or give some other limitation (but really, considering there's no limitation on farms which will end up give much more food, I don't see the problem).

6. kryat

kryat Chieftain

Absolutely love them, usually only in one or two cities though. I love getting a city to 30 pop with Reyna’s tax collector promotion, and no where does that better than the sea. With serfdom, it only takes a few turns to max out the water tiles near whatever island/coastal city I’m using. Pingala’s not bad either in some situations since the population-based science or culture of a high pop city can be quite high.

7. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

I wonder if the seastead will give a fixed amount of housing, or if water tiles are going to have appeal now too.

In the spirit of this expansion I wouldn't be surprised if seasteads were vulnerable to natural disasters and / or had local negative effects like wiping out yields in that tile.

8. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Yes, they are awesome.

9. tmacdec

tmacdec Chieftain

This has me thinking, do we know the changes to Indonesia? I kinda think that they will be immune to losing population in cities with kampungs, not sure I spelled that right, after sea levels rise

10. brewgod

brewgod Chieftain

I use fisheries mainly to boost the population to cities that are lagging in growth and there is little land to have farms, fish, food sources etc. Like mentioned above the downside is your cities take off in growth over a small amount of turns and you need to go into Liang with a granary and sewer and then shipyard to get the housing and then neighborhoods etc. Also the 5 turn gap to move to another city plus builders get expensive in late game for me so you need to sacrifice a card to builders to get the "extra two builds" to make it worth while. But over all Liang is a go to for governors as my second or third. If I go second will get the fishery promotion and then move on to another governor then finish up later.

11. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Well as far as we know coastal tiles are unaffected by rising sea levels so Indonesia is fine in that regard. The impact on Indonesia as a naval civilization however is no different than anyone else.

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Sadly, I've pretty much built 0 fisheries now that Gathering Storm is out. Is anyone even building these things? Poor fisheries need a buff.

13. Takfloyd

Takfloyd Chieftain

I'm playing as Kupe with Auckland in the game, and fisheries are amazing. Most of my cities are coastal, and every sea tile is a yield powerhouse thanks to fishery spam and Seaports(rush electricity for these ASAP).

14. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

I used them more in RF than GS.

15. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Same, fisheries need a buff and seasteads need a nerf. I know seasteads come much later, but frankly, the difference is still pretty mind numbing.

16. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Fisheries give +1 production in GS if Liang is in the city. Combined with a lighthouse fishery tiles are a minimum 3 food, 1 prod, 1 gold. That's not a bad mid-game growth tile.

That being said I still don't use them much as there are usually higher priorities for my governor titles.

Victoria likes this.
  17. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Fisheries (and the even worse city parks) are in my opinion a prime example of why the micromanagement-approach to Governors that they chose with RnF are a bad idea. I simply can't be bothered to micromanage moving Liang around all the time to get the fisheries built, when they aren't that great to begin with. Even before GS and seasteads, I rarely bothered. I appreciate the change to make them give +1 production with Liang in town, but at the same time they should just have made it so that once you unlocked the promotion, you can build the fisheries, and then if Liang is town, you get the +1 production.

shaglio and Pietato like this.
  18. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

2 food? Guurl? No.

Don't spam it, because you won't work them all.

it's what +2 Food flat, and that's FIVE food with 3 adjacent sea resources.

19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The thing is...if you have a bunch of plains mountains next to the sea they make a really awesome food bed with production from Liang as well and as said, with Auckland it gets rather strong,especially early. It also means you lock in Liang amd she does not travel.
    Now people may not think this is strong but Kupe, Liang, god of the sea and Auckland just is stupidly powerful so early because your food tiles are also your production tiles. All you need is a 2 or 3 tile landmass, when I did it, it was 2 tiles.
    Yes fisheries everywhere is too much of a pain but there are times it works, and works well.

20. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Chieftain

They can be good but are awkward to use.

If you are playing a long game, then Seasteads are ultimately better because they each provide +2 Housing though it's a long, long way to Seasteads. In a long game where I wanted to win by Diplomatic Victory, I eventually had to remove all my Fisheries to replace them with Seasteads.

Fisheries can be good in the early and mid-game, especially for food scarce cities with a lot of coastal tiles. The problem is that you need to invest a governor promotion in Liang (in the early game there are many other good options), you need builder charges, and you can only build Fisheries in the city where Liang is at, which might mean moving her around. Ideally, you'll be choosing good city locations where you won't really NEED fisheries.

If you've got one really good city that could benefit from Fisheries and are okay with keeping Liang there (to boost the Fisheries) then it's a more reasonable option.