Domination question

Thunda

Chieftain
Last night I won an immortal Zulu domination. However, the game took longer than I thought. I had captured 3 enemy capitals with the remaining 2 being controlled by the Iroquois. While I was busy gaining control of 3 opponents capitals and lands, Hiawatha had taken control of the other 3rd of the continant and after a long war with Montezuma, he controlled the Aztec capital. Hiawatha's capital was within 3 cities of the Egyptian capital I had just taken. So my plan was to cut a path right to his capital and take it to win a domination game. After a brutal struggle and high casualty rate, with the help of 6 citadels I successfully destroyed Hiawatha's technological superior forces (he had great war bomers and great war infantry while I had rifles and artillery) and took his capital.

I was breaking out the champagne as my rifleman walked through the gates of his capital in preperation for my hard won victory, but as I took the city NO DOMINATION VICTORY prompt came up! WHAT??? I was the only one still in control of my original capital so why did I not win? Sure the Iroquois had the Aztec capital but from what the civlopidea says the game should be over. So the continued as I then had to slug my way up to the Aztec capital and take it which was not easy because while I was still using rifles, cavalry and artillery, Hiawatha was rolling out Bombers, Rocket Artillery, Machine guns and great war infantry. My swarms of troops and logistic plus range promoted artillery got the job done and I concoured the Aztec capital from Hiawatha and then the game said I won.

So why didn't I win when I was the only player in control of their original capital?

You must have to control all of them is all I can figure.

And yes, I also thought the civilipedia said that you won if you were the last one with your capital.

This was a change made in BNW. Pre-BNW, the rule was "last civ in control of your original capital". Post BNW, you have to control all of the original capitals.

EDIT: The Civilopedia text has not been updated, but that's not the only Civilopedia item that is out of date. If you go to Victory Progress in-game, however, it shows the correct victory requirement.

Okay, that explains it. I'm not sure if I had even checked about that in the Civilopedia since vanilla, anyway. :D

This was a change made in BNW. Pre-BNW, the rule was "last civ in control of your original capital". Post BNW, you have to control all of the original capitals.

EDIT: The Civilopedia text has not been updated, but that's not the only Civilopedia item that is out of date. If you go to Victory Progress in-game, however, it shows the correct victory requirement.

Ah ok that explains it.

mhm, the change was made so you couldn't snipe a runaway AI's capital with a couple nukes and a surprise DoW and expect to win that easily. Seems like a reasonable change to me.

The change was made because there were some freak domination victories to people who simply kept their capital while the AI were conquering each other's capitals. It must have been jarring for people who were pursuing peaceful victories when they were suddenly struck with "Your army has conquered the globe..."

It must have been jarring for people who were pursuing peaceful victories when they were suddenly struck with "Your army has conquered the globe..."

...because nobody likes to win the game earlier than they had planned? Yeah that would really irritate the hell out of me, cheeky AI spoiling all my plans!

...because nobody likes to win the game earlier than they had planned? Yeah that would really irritate the hell out of me, cheeky AI spoiling all my plans!

Well, it's like training really hard for the Olympics and then finding out on the last day of competition that all your competitors died of rabies, it's just not the same.

Well, it's like training really hard for the Olympics and then finding out on the last day of competition that all your competitors died of rabies, it's just not the same.

Yes I got your point and I tend to agree - just being flippant! :)

Top Bottom