Don Deity: Warlords 2.08, huge random continents map, epic speed

Don Deity was sitting in his throne room, nervously drumming the sides of his throne with his fingers, when suddenly the door burst open and a messenger from the mayor in London stumbled into the room:

“Don Deity… …(long break for heavy breathing)… …I have… …(another long break for heavy breathing)… …just run all the way up from the mayors house… …(another long break…) to your palace… …(break)… …only to find the front door completely blocked by statues… …(break)… …so I ran back all the way to the city… …(break)… …and have taken the road up to your palace back door then… …(break)… …and I have important news from the mayor… …(break)…”

…

Three seconds later, in the mayor’s house:

“Hello Don Deity, what brings you here? I had just sent a messenger to your palace to…”

“I know, I have met him, and we had an a-stone-ishing informative talk… …so I decided to drop down myself and ask you directly what news you have to save some time (and because your messenger somehow decided to stop talking forever before I could tell me anything usefull and joined the palace decorations)…”

“I just have received very bad news from one of our spies in India… …it seems that Ash not only has managed to discover the secret of Nationalism, but also to build the Taj Mahal only a few turns thereafter…”

“And…?”

“Our spy said that the Taj Mahal is such an impressive building, that it might inspire the whole Indian nation…”

“Which means for us…?”

“India is about to enter another Golden Age… …and this might bear some negative consequences for our invasion into India, you know.”

“Ok, now I see your point… …and I agree with you. That’s really bad, but there is nothing we can do about it. Please let me know immediately, when you receive word from our troops about the impact this might have on our warfare… …Oh, and please send the next messenger directly to the back door of my palace…”

…

Meanwhile…

Around the time Don Deity and his generals were busy worrying about the influence Ash’s Golden Age might have on their little war, the English brave sailors continued to use the Chinese maps to their advantage and managed to make contact with the Zulu and the Mongolian civilisations. It turned out, that Zulu was quite weak and underdeveloped technologically (everything else would have been a wonder… …Shaka is one of the most efficient leaders when it comes to wrecking his economy, research, expansion and more or less everything else by building heaps and heaps of troops right from 4000 BC on, which tend to be outdated around 1000 BC, when there is no peaceful neighbour around to stomp early…) but with Mongolia as only neighbour in direct reach, Shake’s stagnation was no wonder. Although Kublai, the Mongolian leader, had quite a reputation as warmonger himself, he usually was very much more efficient then most of the other warmongers (= Shaka…), because he also knew how to write the word “cottage” and therefore was able to tech and develop his empire during peacetimes very well…

Considering all this, it was no wonder, that it turned out that Kublai was the second superpower, only a notch behind Ash score-wise, but with a much larger empire and WAY more troops...

Since there was only very little left of what seemed to have been the Korean civilisation around the time Don Deity’s sailors reached Kublai’s continent, this only was another indicator that it would only be a matter of time, until Mongolia would claim control over their whole continent… …and Shaka wouldn’t be able to slow them down very much, once Kublai decided to add the Zulu cities to his empire. Concerning Korea… …a closer observation even revealed, that they already had capitulated to Mongolia and were vassalized some while ago…

Still Kublai was nice enough to sell his maps for only a little gold to the English sailors, and so the final picture of the world was revealed. After having considered it long and carefully, English historians decided to name the various continents and, after some discussion, came up with some nice, descriptive and proper names:

The starting continent of Don Deity and his neighbours was named: Continent “France”
The continent inhabited by Germany and Persian was named: Continent “Wrongplacedandthereforewestillhavenocontactwiththem”
The continent inhabited by the Chinese and the Malines was named: Continent “New Constantinople”
And the continent inhabited by the Korean, the Zulu and the Mongols finally was named: Continent “Bompf”

44.JPG

And the other two:

45.JPG

…

Since most of the English cities had switched back to builder mode some time ago and the English workers had run out of forests to chop down and roads to build, Don Deity decided, that this was a good time to switch the English economy from Food Economy (FE) to Cottage Economy (CE) to bring up the English research again, at least a little. From the English core cities, only Hastings, Coventry and Canterbury would be spared from this economical change and would be allowed to continue working mainly farms and mines, with the goal of turning them into England’s main production centres. Starting with London, city by city now got spammed with cottages and ALL of them had to be worked as soon as possible, to allow the best economical growth.

…

In parallel, the English army got bored of waiting for the somehow missing massive Indian counterattacks and was finally ordered by Don Deity to advance on Madras with the goal of taking this city and then to march directly towards Delhi, the Indian capital. Since Ash didn’t seem too interested in mustering any bigger counterattacks and not even bothered in strengthening his city defences, Don Deity spontaneously had decided to change his initial attacking plans (again)… …there wasn’t much sense in blocking Indian reinforcements, coming down from the North, when there simply were almost NO Indian reinforcements coming down from the North… …and so a smaller contingent of the AGN, consisting mainly of Trebuchets even was ordered to march north, towards the city of Bangalore, which seemed to be the main Indian production site (indicated by a knight moving out of this city every two turns) and to start bombarding the city. The rest of the AGN would be ordered to meet with the AGE in the outskirts of Delhi and to assist them in their efforts to capture the Indian capital after Madras would have been taken. Since time was so important now, due to the extremely fast teching of India and Greece, Don Deity’s new plan now was to push for the Indian capital immediately, before Ash had a chance to upgrade all the units stationed there.

…

Since Don Deity had already learned hiss lesion during the siege of Karachi, he wasn’t too optimistic and expected quite some losses capturing Madras and Delhi. Therefore it was quite a pleasant surprise, that Madras fell in 410 AD quite easily after some bombarding and without too much fighting… …so Don Deity kept to his new plan and had the AGN split in two groups, as planned.

One pressed on towards the Indian capital with the goal of meeting the AGE there… …although approaching Ash’s capital now directly all Don Deity’s arm had been facing so far in this war were 12 knights, mostly sent to suicide pillage missions into English territory, 3 horse archers, 5 catapults and a small number of trebs, maces and crossbows… …which basically meant nothing to really worry about, so Don Deity had his men rush on…

It was a quite big surprise to Don Deity’s leading general, that Delhi fell only after a short fight in 455 AD already, with the bulk of the English army still gathering there, directly after the English siege engines had taken out the Indian fortifications surrounding the city:

Genius Ash, winner of the Continental Knitting Games from 48 AD to 396 AD but apparently only a hobby warmonger, and a quite bad one by the way, had really managed to use the production bonus from his golden age to build the Spiral Minaret in his capital, despite the war. And apparently he had finished it just in time, like one or two turns before Delhi finally had fallen. (Knitting first became popular in the Greek rural regions between Thebes and Corinth around 350 BC, but was considered as a “poor people sport” at first. Only around 200 BC, when the aristocracy in Corinth incorporated knitting in their society, by combining dinner parties with big knitting events, it was slowly becoming more and more popular also among the other cities in the Greek empire. In 134 BC finally, when Alex’ family also turned towards knitting, it became clear that knitting as a sport and as an event had finally made its way up to the royal Greek court and only some years later, knitting was THE number one sport in Greece. From 100 BC on, knitting was also adopted more and more in the neighbourhood countries, first only in the Indian, English and Celt borderlands with Greece, but later also in their bigger cities. In 63 BC finally, when knitting was also incorporated in the religious customs all over France (Don Deity’s continent, home of the English, remember?) no Hindu temple could be imagined any more without a knitting chamber and regular knitting events. But only in 12 BC knitting gained the glory it really deserved, with the building of the Knitropolis, a huge area of temples, commerce and sport, mainly dedicated to knitting, situated on a hill in the outskirts of the Greek capital Athens. And in 4 BC finally Athens featured the first Continental Knitting Games there, which, from then on, should take place every 4 years to symbolize the friendship and peace among the nations in France. Only the best knitters would go there and represent their country. In the beginning, knitting was only allowed nude in the Knitropolis, but when Ash and the Indian royal family became more and more successful (and nobody REALLY wanted to see Ash nude), this was changed and knitting during the Continental Knitting Games was allowed with long white robes in the Knitropolis also. All of this wasn’t mentioned before, because it had absolutely nothing to do with the storyline so far. It still has absolutely nothing, really nothing at all, to do with the storyline, but hey, who cares…)

At least, Don Deity had to admit, that Ash had positioned the Spiral Minaret quite nicely, directly besides the Ankor Wat…

…

The following screenshot shows the battlefield in central India, with Don Deity’s eastern and northern force already united and Delhi captured. As you can see, all units were concentrated in the attack on Delhi, only some flank guards were left and the mentioned division of the AGN was guiding the rest of the English siege weapons towards Bangalore.

46.JPG

Oh, and by the way, the funniest thing in this screenshot was the fact, that there were absolutely NO Indian units on it, except a group of crossbows guarding a mine… …which only showed HOW effective Ash really was in avoiding to build ANY troops at all…

Despite the lack of real resistance, the big success of the English army inspired the retired English General Barca Hamilca to found a war academy in Coventry. Not much later it turned out that this greatly helped in educating new officers for the English army and therefore sped up the army production in Coventry by almost 50%, enabling them to replace any cavalry lost within 4 turns (London, the second English city producing troops, needed still 5 turns per cavalry around that time). Thanks to this great achievement, Barca Hamilca was remembered and referred from then on in the English history books as the first “Great General” ever (and immortalized by Don Deity by turning him into a very beautiful statue, which still can be seen in the entry hall of the war academy in Coventry).

…

But here the good news stopped… …a look at the scientific advisor revealed, that Ash had in fact managed to get a quite depressing tech-lead on the English up to 455 AD:

Ash had Constitution, Printing Press, Economics and very likely also Corporations and Replaceable Parts on Don Deity.

…

So far, it had been a very strange (and very lucky) war for the English. Ash really seemed more interested in building some additional wonders he could gift Don Deity along with his cities instead of raising a decent defensive force, or at least ANY defensive force.

But there still had to be some mayor Indian stacks out there, indicated by the power graph. So the big question was, why Ash refrained for some reasons from sending them to face the English army… …maybe Ash REALLY was very close to rifling already and wanted to upgrade his main army first to riflemen, before sending them to face the English cavalry… …this might also explain why he kept lots of gold in his treasury, despite the fact that he was in a war… …and soon this could become a quite big problem…

I’m happy for any feedback, suggestions, tips and hints concerning this game...

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you want to play along or ahead feel free to pick any save you like. Only thing you REALLY should do is to use spoiler tags for anything AHEAD of the actual story.

The saves for this game can be found here (scroll to the end of the page)

YOU WILL NEED THE WARLORDS 2.13 PATCH TO OPEN THE LAST SAVES

See you Soon

Snaaty

Is it really a good idea to cottage everything, with weak home defences, in front of Alex and Bren? for those two, easy plunder income, is like a red rag to a bull.

Still you're making good progress. The Indian responjse has been less heavy than I'd have liked. Like Don, I'd be concerned Ash was about to upgrade loads of troops. If he's got rifling, all those useless knights and melee infantry would be about to become cavalry and riflemen respectively. I tihnk i'd be looking to draft lots of riflemen and build some grenadiers.
Or just make peace with Ash.

I think going after Bangalore will wake both Alex and Bren up to the fact you don't intend to leave any Indian city for either of them.

Right after Delhi was conquered by the glorious English army, Don Deity decided to split his forces even more and discarded the initial plan totally. Instead, he decided to strike for the Indian core cities directly. Every turn was precious, every Indian unit killed was a gain now, even if this meant higher losses for the English… …once riflemen would appear, the war would become dire anyways and every Indian city defended with riflemen would only fall by sacrificing lots of English lives.

So Don Deity ordered about 1/3 of his troops to assist the advance on Bangalore, in order to take this important Indian production city, another 1/3, mainly injured, was stationed in Delhi to heal and to wait for the arrival of Chandgragupta Maurya (who was renamed by Don Deity to Bob, for obvious reasons). Bob had been the general in charge during the advance of the English army from Madras to Delhi. Only thanks to his great leadership and skill in medicine, no wounded English soldier had been left behind and the English losses had been very few so far. To old now to lead the men, Don Deity had promoted Bob to be the second Great General of the English and to teach the art of healing to his comrades that his wisdom won’t be lost from then on…

The rest of the men were ordered to guide the remaining English siege engines towards the Indian cities of Jaipur and Lahore, so that they would be in place, when the forces in Delhi would be fully healed and again ready for battle.

Not much enemies were seen on the path of the English army and everything was going according to plan. Still Don Deity decided to switch his troop production from cavalry (all losses had been replaced thanks to the constant troop-production of London and Coventry so far and the English army therefore still contained about 20 cavalry) to trebuchets, to be better prepared for the feared appearance of Indian riflemen (only collateral damage would keep the English advance going from then on).

The plan to push for Bangalore seemed to pay off in Summer 501 AD already and the city of Bangalore, the most important Indian production city, fell to Don Deity´s advancing cavalry and trebuchets. As an additional bonus, Don Deity’s troops also gained control over the Notre Dame which was situated in a small village near Bangalore. Another huge strategic milestone in this war also was, that by controlling Bangalore, Don Deity now also controlled the only area, the Indians had mustered the art of breeding horses.

…

But then, after the loss of his most important city, Ash seemed to have decided to change his strategy and to send some troops down from his northern border, to try and recapture Bangalore and get back access to his horses:

Two stacks, containing altogether almost 20 units, a decent mix of maces, pikes, trebuchets and knights, were closing in on Bangalore already in late September 501 AD, coming down from the Greek border. The young general in control of the English city garrison in Bangalore, consisting at that point only off 5 battalions of cavalry (and 3 were wounded) and an additional 3 of trebuchets, was desperate. How was he supposed to cope with such overwhelming numbers, his men outnumber almost 3 to 1 and most of them wounded or extremely inexperienced in defending cities (trebuchets… …maybe the worst unit to defend a city…)?

…

Delhi, English medic camp, Great General Bob and a messenger from Bangalore:

“What??? What did you just say???”

“Umh… …Bangalore is going to be very likely overrun the next turn by two major Indian stacks… …but if you want, I’m happy to repeat it a third…”

“No, forget it…”

…

About 2 hours later, in the English commando tent near Delhi:

“And I only have to knock on this poorly made fake door hanging down from a sort of provisory wooden construction in the middle of the tent?”

“Yes Great General Bob, this is what Don Deity said. Just knock on the door and he will drop by right away…”

“But wouldn’t it be enough to just call out for him, or wave my hands in the air, you know, or any other stuff like that, with his all Seeing Eye, it surely shouldn’t be a problem for him to notice me… …I feel sort of stupid knocking on this lousy door...”

“Well… …I assume Don Deity has lots of things to look after, so I think you need to knock on the door…”

“OK… …but the whole construction doesn’t look very solid… …you better step back, if it collapses, it’s enough if I get hurt…”

…

After having knocked twenty three times very softly, while cursing very loudly:

Zuummmpppp

“I heard you cursing Bob…”

“Well… …sorry… …but wait a second, doesn’t that also mean that you saw me knocking on that damn door right from the start?”

“Umh… …forget about the cursing… …what do you want?”

“I just received very bad news from Bangalore… …it seems that the bulk of Ash’s army finally entered the scene… …and we are very (very, very very) likely to loose the city with all units stationed within…”

“Yes, this ARE bad news… …am I right in assuming that you need all your men to continue this war?”

“Yes, off course, why do you ask?”

“Oh, nothing to worry about… …just give me some minutes, I will be right back…”

Zuummmpppp

…

On the market square in London, the major trying to keep up with Don Deity (who seemed to be REALLY angry):

“Don Deity… …please stop it… ….running around screaming and turning heaps off civilians into stone is NO SOLUTION at all…”

“I know… …but it makes me feel MUCH better…”

“Umh… …I don’t know how to say this, but I think there might be some more bad news…”

“MORE BAD NEWS… …I don’t know if I can cope with that…”

“And I don’t know if I should tell you (it could shorten my life drastically)…”

…

But off course, the mayor did tell Don Deity…

And it turned out that there was MAJOR movement in the continental power situation… ...the blue line shooting up skywards was Alex, who apparently had upgraded ALL his troops to rifles, within one turn:

47.JPG

Now things could get really messy, not only was the Indian advance (EDIT: must be English advance) coming to a halt for the first time, even worse, with such a dramatic change in the continental power situation, the risk of getting invaded (and overrun within something like 5 turns) had increased drastically.

And Ash still was higher in power then Don Deity, so this really, really was a bad time for that… …and Bren was also starting to worry Don Deity, because even without rifles, his power was going up and up and up and up… …he now REALLY must have zillions of troops…

…

On the funny side, the updated powergraph revealed also, that Wang seemed to have played a quite amazing game, because his power seemed to have been always around Don Deity´s… …which basically meant, that he had almost zero army and Kublai as neighbour… …and a different religion… …might be two of the reasons why he was predestined to be Kublai’s vassal right from the start…

I’m happy for any feedback, suggestions, tips and hints concerning this game...

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you want to play along or ahead feel free to pick any save you like. Only thing you REALLY should do is to use spoiler tags for anything AHEAD of the actual story.

The saves for this game can be found here (scroll to the end of the page)

YOU WILL NEED THE WARLORDS 2.13 PATCH TO OPEN THE LAST SAVES

See you Soon

Snaaty

Emperor Bran returns from a three day hunting trip. He is greeted by one of his servants on his palace steps: "Good news everyone ... uhm ... your Grace ... we have two storytellers, who bring the newest words of your beloved Don Deity, waiting in your throne room." Emperor Bran hesitates for a second: "Well I hoped to enjoy the court by sharing the stories of my extraordinary hunting luck with it, but of course news of Don Deity are sooooo much more welcome." Stinking and without changing his sweated hunting cloths Emperor Bran walks directly to his throne room, where his servants struggle to prepare the feast way ahead of schedule. Emperor Bran spots the storytellers: "I have allready been told you await me, I hope you haven't waited in this room all the time ..." the more desperate looking of the storytellers takes up the courage to reply: "Your Grace infact we have and I'm starving ...". "So what words do you bring me?" Emperor Bran is so excited, he ignores the poor condition both storytellers are in. The storyteller gives the dishes that are brought into the throne room a desperate look and begins: "Your Grace will be honoured to hear, that Don Deity has not only told everyone how much he appreciates your interest in his story, he also has decided to use his deity powers to change history: Your name will be remembered correctly." Emperor Bran is happy that he reached his throne before the storyteller finished his first words, he grabs one of the marble lions flanking his throne and tries desperatly not to be knocked done by this magnificent news: "Tell my master of hunting-and-deer-managment to give all the spoils of the hunt to the priests of the local Don Deity shrine, as a gift for the great kindness with which he treats me." The master of hadm considers for a moment to ask if Emperor Bran really wants to gift all the deer (the hunting party consisted of over 200 men and they where in the woods for nearly a week), but he knows his emperors affection for Don Deity to well, to risk his master-job by asking "As your Grace commands" he replies instead.

The first storyteller tells them how Don Deity's troops conquered vast areas of India and important cities without much resistance from the indian army, Emperor Bran leans to one of his advisors: "I have a quite solid theory concerning the lack of indian resistance, Ash is simply so frightened by the fact that he is under attack from the mighty, mighty, mighty Don Deity, that he has hidden in the deepest cell in his palace and is unable to listen, eat or give orders to anyone. The building of wonders was probably ordered long before the declaration of war and the golden age of india is probably only the consequence of Ash not leaving his palace." The advisor nods: "Then let us hope Don Deity finishes his war, before Ash dies of starvation, his brother looks like him, but is simply to stupid to fear the mighty, mighty, mighty, mighty Don Deity."

When the storyteller tells them of the success of knitting, Emperor Bran laughs out loud: "That's a nice distraction and it really adds something surreal to Don Deity's words. Maybe I should hold knitting games as well, this will give my worthless knights a game where they can challenge and defeat me after all." The first storyteller finishes his speech and Emperor Bran throws some golden coins in his direction: "Nicely spoken my dear storyteller, but you should really give more attention to your clothing you look like you haven't changed them for days. Now begone and pick up some food in the kitchen, you do look a little bit skinny you know?" The storyteller nods, picks up the coins and stumples out of the throne room.

The second storyteller tells his tale and after he has been dismissed (he was corrected before that: "was the Indian advance" should be "was the English advance") Emperor Bran turns to his advisor: "It seems you where right concerning Ash's brother, what's his name?" "Ash your grace", the advisor replies with a smile. "Oh ... and he looks like his brother? Well that will make matters easy for him I guess. By the way, the part about the fake doors has reminded me of something, do you know what happened to my master of fake doors? I haven't seen him, or a fake door for quite some time now". The advisor scratches his head: "The last time I have seen him, he left for an excursion to find those fake doors and he seemed rather commited to the task, because he took his whole household with him, I guess we will hear of him soon". Emperor Bran smiles: "Yes I'm looking really forward to his return and one of those fake doors, tell my goldsmith to build a massive golden doorframe to hold the fake door on its return."

When Emperor Bran walks to his bedroom that night he tries to imagine how Don Deity's struggle continued and what course of action Don Deity had taken. "I for my part would try to make peace with Ash right now, keeping most of my gains and muster all my strength for a second war with India. But it is doubtfull that Ash's stupid brother Ash will listen to a reasonable offer, even from mighty, mighty, mighty Don Deity ..."

Not even Ash or Ash, even, is going to to make peace when they are about to retake their main industrial centre - 'hah, bet you wished you'd razed it now, don't you?' said a disappearing frightened Roman - and this weakness will be an encouragement for Alex and Bren.

@ Scarredroman:

Yes, you are right (off course). DD asked for peace at that point but Ash demanded the city back... ...so DD had to continue the war

I think I'd have taken the demand and prepared for the next war. Hindsight is wonderful thing.

@scarredroman: Yes, now your idea of razing cities starts to make sense. On the other hand: How likely is it, that Ash would have agreed to a peace without getting something in return? I have no experience with making peace after razing cities, but that the AI asks for a captured city is nothing unusuale in my experience, hence the "keeping most of my gains".

Concerning DD's will to continue the war: I assume this is motivated by the fact, that a peace would have meant, the next battle between english cavalry and indian forces would have been a battle against indian riflemen. In that case, the english cavlry's strength (anyone knows a nice translation for the german "kampfwert"?) would be much smaler than it is right now. If the gamble succeeds DD might be able to keep Bangalore, if it fails he still might get a peace without offering more of his conquest? Since I usualy fail to hold cities against overhelming odds (with siege equipment) this seems risky, especially because there is no cultural defense Ash could waste some turns on.

I'm looking forward to the next episodes and I really enjoy this story Snaaty!

Quite so, Emperor Bran. Bangalore would have been the last city taken and not razed. I, sort of, assumed that the Indians would fight tooth and nail to keep the city. The ai is erratic in tis behaviour. It will fight to hold or retake some cities whilst just content for you to roll up outside other cities and wait for you to take them and no counter-attack follows.

Don Deity could have evacuated the units in the city, linked them up with healer Bob and tried to smash the Indian stacks, one at a time. One of those stacks would have become the new garrison, which could have been ignored.

Quite so, Emperor Bran. Bangalore would have been the last city taken and not razed. I, sort of, assumed that the Indians would fight tooth and nail to keep the city. The ai is erratic in tis behaviour. It will fight to hold or retake some cities whilst just content for you to roll up outside other cities and wait for you to take them and no counter-attack follows.

Don Deity could have evacuated the units in the city, linked them up with healer Bob and tried to smash the Indian stacks, one at a time. One of those stacks would have become the new garrison, which could have been ignored.

But DD's chance of a peace treaty with the diplomatic penalty (for razing a city) would drop... if (most likely :() needed.

There is a good chance that the retreat move will help, but after taking the city back (the indians that is), the cultural border will be restablished, not allowing a feasible escape route (for the retreating troops, and lets remember that some artillerie units are among them) and allowing Ash's troops movement bonuses, that may be used to attack the retreating troops and thus minimizing DDs chance of success.

As the last city taken, Ash would have had 1 city left and had to capitulate anyway os the razed penalty wouldn't have made much difference.

Retreat before the Indians retake the city would have let the units get far enough away to link up with Bob.

Can you sell everything in the city?
Do you produce defensive units to protect later from outraged indian citizen?
I admire your courage to play diety mode.
I wonder how can you play just half an hour a day?
I simply can't stop it.

@ Bis-Mark:

Welcome to the forums... ...and in DD`s world:)

Some quick answers:

You only can sell one improvement per turn (if I remember right) and the cash will only hit home next turn, so you have to hold the city...

I usually whip down ALL captured cities pretty fast, using this order:
defender,theatre, then lib and uni (if enough people left) or monatry (basically all that brings culture)

Normal size and speed games I also play much faster, but epic speed and huge map I prefere playing bit by bit, the last game I described here (Persian Leader) lasted over 6 month in the end (and you have to keep in mind, that doing the writeups takes also quite some time and I think they are way more interresting to you all if they are up-to-date with the game)

You only can sell one improvement per turn (if I remember right) and the cash will only hit home next turn, so you have to hold the city...

Hum, wasn't that in Civ II ?:crazyeye:

Why not declare peace? If you have little doubt he will retake the city, and if there are other things to worry about (Army of Alex), wouldn't it be best to cut your losses while you can? Plus he will have to pay lots of maintenace cause he cannot throw those soldiers at you.

@ Darth Meanie:

In most cases I think you are right... ...making peace to buy some time and to reorganize your own army is great.

Still, I decided against it in this case, because:

- Ash is on the rifles clock. Making peace now (10 turns), then advancing in his territory again and position DD´s army (maybe 5 turns) might (not sure, but might) result in facing rifles

- Peace would mean to give Bangalore back. This would give Ash again access to horses and quite some time to rebuild infrastructure

- Even if DD would make peace with Ash now, he would have to continue the war ASAP, because Ash still holds cities in South and Central India so DD´s new Indian provinces would get crushed by Indian culture (and Indian revolts)

- DD´s productivity right now is 2 cav every 4 turns without whipping, so losses can be replaced quite easy

- As long as DD´s cav only faces Ash´s pikes,lbows,maces, Ash´s losses will always be higher then DD´s, so production-wise DD has also an advantage now (pre rifles)

- There are still Bob and the wounded veterans in Delhi that can reach Bangalore in time to strenghten defences or to launch a counter attack

- In fact, even if DD now makes losses and/or looses Bangalore killing Ash´s main army now (pre rifles) will decide the war (at least against India), since English losses can easily be replaced by SOME whipping:D

Top Bottom