Dons Civ

Don The Hun

Chieftain
Help! I am trying to install Civ3. The computer has Windows 7. I changed the properties on the compatibility tab and run as admin; but, nothing happens when I try to open the program. Also I cannot find setup.exe? Can anyone help?

Help! I am trying to install Civ3. The computer has Windows 7. I changed the properties on the compatibility tab and run as admin; but, nothing happens when I try to open the program. Also I cannot find setup.exe? Can anyone help?
Are you trying to install from an old (SafeDisk/SecuROM copy-protected) CD-ROM?

If so, then unfortunately, this tech (secdrv.sys) was disabled by Micro$oft in 2015 on WinVista and up, because it presented a major vulnerability to hacking. So when the game-installer/autorun.exe tries to run the CD-check, it will crash back to desktop.

See this thread for all the gory details, and possible fixes/workarounds.

Last edited:
Or you can forego all the technical hassles and do like I did recently and buy a compatible version from GOG for $6, here
That is, indeed, one of the simpler "fixes and workarounds" mentioned in LK's thread... ;)

That is, indeed, one of the simpler "fixes and workarounds" mentioned in LK's thread... ;)
That's what I ended up doing, except that it was something like $0.99 for C3C, and another $8 or something for Civ4, so I got the package of both. Still haven't tried Civ4, though ... having too much fun with Civ3.

That's what I ended up doing, except that it was something like $0.99 for C3C, and another $8 or something for Civ4, so I got the package of both. Still haven't tried Civ4, though ... having too much fun with Civ3.
Yeah, I too got Civ III about a month ago when it was on sale for $1.99 or thereabouts, along with Master of Orion II for like $4.99 or something.

I dabbled in Civ IV a few months ago and didn't like it. Did you know that mountains in Civ IV are permanently impassable? Can't move onto them, can't build roads over them, nothing. That's unrealistic to the point of being a game-breaker for me. Played several games where a nearby portion of a continent I was on was inaccessible because of a single mountain square. There is a quick and easy way to edit the map if this happens, but to me that's not good enough. Also, the religion thing is way overdone.

Being an old time board wargamer, the hex maps of Civ V and VI intrigue me, and I might try one of them some time, but I'm kind of tired of the Civ concept overall and Civ III might very well be the end of it for me.

Yeah, I too got Civ III about a month ago when it was on sale for $1.99 or thereabouts, along with Master of Orion II for like $4.99 or something.

I dabbled in Civ IV a few months ago and didn't like it. Did you know that mountains in Civ IV are permanently impassable? Can't move onto them, can't build roads over them, nothing. That's unrealistic to the point of being a game-breaker for me. Played several games where a nearby portion of a continent I was on was inaccessible because of a single mountain square. There is a quick and easy way to edit the map if this happens, but to me that's not good enough. Also, the religion thing is way overdone.

Being an old time board wargamer, the hex maps of Civ V and VI intrigue me, and I might try one of them some time, but I'm kind of tired of the Civ concept overall and Civ III might very well be the end of it for me.

If you want to try Civ V or Civ VI, bear a couple things in mind:
- the designers have re-imagined several key concepts from Civ I through IV, so they are very much different games
- mountains are nearly always impassable in those games, too
- you will need an amped up computer to play either game. A discrete graphics card (not Intel integrated graphics)

Glad that you're enjoying Civ III !!

Top Bottom