[MOD] Downfall - Post-apocalyptic mod!

Vindsval

Chieftain
Downfall
post-apocalyptic mod!

Downfall.jpg

A New Era has fall on Earth.

The Dark Era!

Machines, Mutants, Leaders of the New Order and other dark personalities are fighting for power over the radioactive wastelands.

Become the leader of one of the sinister factions!

Smash your enemies to the ground!
  • New factions
  • New setting
  • New tecnologies
  • New everything!
  • Old good gameplay
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

PROS
  • 14 completely new races with unique leader graphics, 7 of them are playable.
  • Over a 100 brand new units. Many are unique to each fraction.
  • More than 50 new unique buildings.
  • 32 unique resources
  • A completely new technology tree.
  • The unique atmosphere of post-apocalypse.
  • The evolution of civilization from primitive tribes to high-tech futuristic factions.
  • Rewritten Civilopedia.
  • Unique sound and music.
CONS
There can be problems with fonts in some game versions (don't know, how to fix it). Sometimes the game crashes (use autosave, it helps). Many things are imbalanced and some gameplay ideas I couldn't realize (make AI use artillery or ground transport, etc...). I tried to create the atmosphere of despair, post-nuclear world, where human and inhuman settlements are rear and the main mission is to get resources to survive. It didn't manage as I planed, because the gameplay becomes boring, so I made few different scenarios to be able to choose the concept of the game you like.

Based on Warhammer fantasy mod. All models, arts, graphic and other features belong to their creators. All mod resources were taken from https://www.civfanatics.com/, it could not be done without it.
Leader graphics and game interface were made by id0.

Oh, I couldn't remove mandatory, it may prevents to enjoy the game. If somebody know how to remove it - please let me know. This is my first mod, I've been doing it for some years. The mod needs to be tested, please leave your comments ans suggestions.

Enjoy!

• Requirements:
    - Civilization 3: Conquests version 1.22

Mod weight is about 1.4 gb, that's why it's on google drive:

DOWNLOAD
P.S. Some players said about game crash because of unit animation. Unzip Genestealer.zip file in Civilization3Conquests\Conquests\Scenarios\Downfall\Art\Units, rewrite files. This should fix the problem with Genestealer animation.

Attachments

• Genestealer.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Vindsval, welcome at CFC! :band:[party]

It´s always great seeing new civers doing very ambitious mods and scenarios for Civ 3. :)

Looks wonderful, you should consider making a scenario map for this.
That's a good idea! Maybe I'll return to this mod sometimes, but I'm not good at making scenarios, never tried. But it can be interesting experience.

So I tried it out, the buildable settlers version with guild to and here are my thoughts.

First of all, depending on with faction you play, your either screwed if you don't start with these resources or you don't need them because your more basic units are to powerful without them. I noticed that either when playing as the Machine faction or against them they get strong units that dominate the early game because they cost none or few strategic resources. The A.I especially the non-playable 7 will get wiped when facing the machine's early unit that has 10-attack and 10 defense since no resource is required for it, if they have many important strategic resources they may stand a chance against the machines or Aliens. But definitely rushing to that 10-10 Machine unit can be over powered early game.

I see a lot of units are suppose to have a faction theme them but with certain Civs the units they have don't make that much sense or provide consistency as you tech up. The aliens for instance have a tone of walker and hover vehicles but it doesn't make much sense that they would use wheeled or tracked vehicles in their arsenal.
The Human factions that are moderately teched have units with WW2 graphics yet some of their modern military units are weaker than their ww2 counter parts, that is kind of confusing when its the opposite in many other civ mods where the modern units are usually the more powerful.

Finally its very punishing to decide where to build a city after you build your capital. You get one setter per 64 turns after the wonder completion and in the time most of the early science researched barely reveals any resources by the time you get your third settler. City placement makes a huge difference, especially when the barbarian units have 5:5 and 7:7 attack and defensive with the advanced unit having two movement. You really fall behind on science on higher difficultly which isn't uncommon but when the first few sciences hardly reveal any resources it is problematic.

One more trouble some condition of the mod is that the wasteland and wasteland with a shield have no separate graphic like in the vanilla game where the grassland has a shield overlay if the terrain tile provides a shield. You have to keep right clicking to find the wasteland with the bonus shield.

Thank you for this mod.:thumbsup:
I played a game as Raiders starting next to Aliens.
It was a really fun game and I liked a lot of the ideas but as mentioned above balancing of factions might be improved. The Aliens had quite strong units (Xenomorphs etc.) requiring close to no resources while my units sometimes required three different strategic resources. As in my game the settler building guild became obsolete after building 2 settlers ( => 3 cities for each faction) you have to use resource colonies a lot.
There was also a naming issue with the third Genestealer attack animation - renaming it to ...attackC in the ini and of the file solved the issue.
Also for playing on large maps- nearly all (raider) units with more than 1 movement are unable to move over mountains or jungle so they are quite often not capable of reaching distant enemies while those units capable of doing so only have 1 movement and thus take forever - not sure how to solve this (perhaps more all terrain as roads abilities?)

So I tried it out, the buildable settlers version with guild to and here are my thoughts.

First of all, depending on with faction you play, your either screwed if you don't start with these resources or you don't need them because your more basic units are to powerful without them. I noticed that either when playing as the Machine faction or against them they get strong units that dominate the early game because they cost none or few strategic resources. The A.I especially the non-playable 7 will get wiped when facing the machine's early unit that has 10-attack and 10 defense since no resource is required for it, if they have many important strategic resources they may stand a chance against the machines or Aliens. But definitely rushing to that 10-10 Machine unit can be over powered early game.

I see a lot of units are suppose to have a faction theme them but with certain Civs the units they have don't make that much sense or provide consistency as you tech up. The aliens for instance have a tone of walker and hover vehicles but it doesn't make much sense that they would use wheeled or tracked vehicles in their arsenal.
The Human factions that are moderately teched have units with WW2 graphics yet some of their modern military units are weaker than their ww2 counter parts, that is kind of confusing when its the opposite in many other civ mods where the modern units are usually the more powerful.

Finally its very punishing to decide where to build a city after you build your capital. You get one setter per 64 turns after the wonder completion and in the time most of the early science researched barely reveals any resources by the time you get your third settler. City placement makes a huge difference, especially when the barbarian units have 5:5 and 7:7 attack and defensive with the advanced unit having two movement. You really fall behind on science on higher difficultly which isn't uncommon but when the first few sciences hardly reveal any resources it is problematic.

One more trouble some condition of the mod is that the wasteland and wasteland with a shield have no separate graphic like in the vanilla game where the grassland has a shield overlay if the terrain tile provides a shield. You have to keep right clicking to find the wasteland with the bonus shield.

Thank you for your reply! I'm very pleased that you played this mod and gave a feedback.
Yes, the balance in the mod isn't good, I know that. I tried to make it balanced, but I need lots of time to play for each faction and to see what units, their abilities, cost and parametrs must be fixed. I tried to make unique gameplay for some factions, Machines are one of them. There are some main features about playing this faction. First of all, Machines don't spend populations to produce units (all other factions do). This feature is important and makes this faction rather strong, especially at the beginning of the game. The other feature is that Machines don't have luxury resources at all. Booze and bramhins can't make Machines happy. (Bender from Futurama is another case=))) I think after a while I will return to this mod and try to fix the balance. I'm very tired of making it and decided that this not very good balanced version is better, then nothing at all.

What concerns about second paragrph...To be honest, I didn't find suitable wheeled models for Aliens for the second era. Because of it, they don't have much fast units, even in further era. I suppose they will win because of thier count units, like Undead races in Warhammer Fantasy mod, when you build certain wonder.
The Human factions that are moderately teched have units with WW2 graphics yet some of their modern military units are weaker than their ww2 counter parts - I really didn't think about this, just using models I liked. If I will return to mod, I'll try to fix it.

And the third paragraph...I tried to make the planet to look like the Wasteland. Not much settlements, but lots of beasts, ready to hunt and attack you. Resources are hard to reach, because you can't build as many towns as you want. But you must get them, if you want to survive and win. The game can be rather boring at the beginning, and it becomes boring when you begin to dominate. It's very hard to make the gameplay interesting keeping the idea of the mod. So I made some scenarios with different mods of the game.

What concerns about wasteland with shield and without. There's visual difference! Wasteland with shields has rusty robots, sewer hatch or rusty fire hydrant.

Attachments

• wasteland.jpg
    wasteland.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Thank you for this mod.:thumbsup:
I played a game as Raiders starting next to Aliens.
It was a really fun game and I liked a lot of the ideas but as mentioned above balancing of factions might be improved. The Aliens had quite strong units (Xenomorphs etc.) requiring close to no resources while my units sometimes required three different strategic resources. As in my game the settler building guild became obsolete after building 2 settlers ( => 3 cities for each faction) you have to use resource colonies a lot.
There was also a naming issue with the third Genestealer attack animation - renaming it to ...attackC in the ini and of the file solved the issue.
Also for playing on large maps- nearly all (raider) units with more than 1 movement are unable to move over mountains or jungle so they are quite often not capable of reaching distant enemies while those units capable of doing so only have 1 movement and thus take forever - not sure how to solve this (perhaps more all terrain as roads abilities?)

Thank you for your reply! Unit balance isn't good, if I will continue this mod, I'll try to fix it.
Stong units need lots of resources, Aliens is the faction that wins by the number of Xenomorphs and other similar units, I tried to make this way of playing something like a feature for this faction. In perfect, when this faction builds Aliens' hive from Technogenic era it must be very hard to destroy them.
What concerns about settler building guilds - I wanted every faction to have not much cities - it's souless Wasteland! Settlements are rear - you meet beasts much more often instead. You can try to play another scenario - there are different game rules, victory conditions and opportunities to build cities. Moreover, a battle leader can settle a city in all scenarios, as I remember.

Don't really understand what trouble with Genestealer...Does it work or the game crashes? If it works, it's better to leave it as it is))

All wheeled units (f.e. tanks, cars, bikes etc.) can't move hills, forests, mountians and jungles without road. It's important gameplay feature that makes game more realistic and has strategic value. If you want to attack enemies with wheeled units (see civilopedia for description) which are often more powerful, you must build roads. Enemy wheeled units can't reach your cities surrounded by hills, forests, mountians and jungles without roads. I sometimes destroy roads to prevent my cities from attacking by enemy wheeled units, it really helps.

Attachments

• roads.jpg
    roads.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 281
  • civilopedia.jpg
    civilopedia.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 274
Thank you for your reply! Unit balance isn't good, if I will continue this mod, I'll try to fix it.
Stong units need lots of resources, Aliens is the faction that wins by the number of Xenomorphs and other similar units, I tried to make this way of playing something like a feature for this faction. In perfect, when this faction builds Aliens' hive from Technogenic era it must be very hard to destroy them.
What concerns about settler building guilds - I wanted every faction to have not much cities - it's souless Wasteland! Settlements are rear - you meet beasts much more often instead. You can try to play another scenario - there are different game rules, victory conditions and opportunities to build cities. Moreover, a battle leader can settle a city in all scenarios, as I remember.

Don't really understand what trouble with Genestealer...Does it work or the game crashes? If it works, it's better to leave it as it is))

All wheeled units (f.e. tanks, cars, bikes etc.) can't move hills, forests, mountians and jungles without road. It's important gameplay feature that makes game more realistic and has strategic value. If you want to attack enemies with wheeled units (see civilopedia for description) which are often more powerful, you must build roads. Enemy wheeled units can't reach your cities surrounded by hills, forests, mountians and jungles without roads. I sometimes destroy roads to prevent my cities from attacking by enemy wheeled units, it really helps.

I think he is referring to Raider foot units that cannot enter the mountains.

About before on tile graphics, the Desert wasteland has the rusty robots, fire hydrant and sewers.

Notice the difference in shields in picture 2 (A tile below the first picture) but nothings there.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    86.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    42.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    50.2 KB · Views: 217
I think he is referring to Raider foot units that cannot enter the mountains.

About before on tile graphics, the Desert wasteland has the rusty robots, fire hydrant and sewers.

Notice the difference in shields in picture 2 (A tile below the first picture) but nothings there.

Just checked all foot Raider units in Editor - everything is correct. Foot units has movement 1, other units (mounted and battle machines, cars etc.) has movement more than 1 - they are all wheeled and can't move some terrain without roads.

About graphics. Something strange with this, I can't understand why. Sewers, rusty robots and fire hydrants shouldn't be in the Desert, only in Wasteland. And there shouldn't be 2 shields in the Desert, only if you build Mine, the production must be increased to 1, not 2. I think, this may be caused by different versions of the game or something like that. Need to launch the Editor and examine, cause in my game version everything works correct.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 243
  • tnt.jpg
    tnt.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 246
Well I've been playing the version where you have guild buildings and can build settlers with Heavy Industry science so maybe not all biqs were up to date?

Just checked all foot Raider units in Editor - everything is correct. Foot units has movement 1, other units (mounted and battle machines, cars etc.) has movement more than 1 - they are all wheeled and can't move some terrain without roads.
The settings are correct - just gameplaywise it is not really fun to play on maps larger than standard size. Perhaps increasing paradrop range might be an option.
Regarding balancing the aliens:
Genestealers are too strong and as soon as the are built the Aliens start snowballing. ( High stats, high hp, 2 movement + blitz, and enslavement of new genestealers)
Xenomorphs could take the place of genestealers and genestealers could come in the third era. Alternatively genestealers could enslave eggs which have to be upgraded in the next city to new genestealers. This would delay snowballing at least a bit.

I had this error: Art\Units\Genestealer\GenestealerAttackÑ.flc

"There was also a naming issue with the third Genestealer attack animation - renaming it to …(GenestealerAttackC.flc) in the unit .INI file and of the related unit (FLC file) solved the issue."

How does renaming GenestealerAttackC in the unit .INI file fix the problem, since there is no attack animation GenestealerAttackC.flc in the Genestealer unit folder.

How does renaming GenestealerAttackC in the unit .INI file fix the problem, since there is no attack animation GenestealerAttackC.flc in the Genestealer unit folder.

Unless you deleted something, there is a third Genestealer attack in the unit files its just incorrectly named and referenced in the .INI and the flc file itself.

Attachments

• civ.jpg
    civ.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 205
  • civ2.jpg
    civ2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 244
Top Bottom