Driders - wouldn't it be cool?

i liked drizzt alot, (not trying to turn this into a fan/anti-fan thread). it just annoys me when people dislike something just because it is crazy popular. i think the story of the evil being redeemed is very popular in literature. my favorite character however....Malus Darkblade! nothing says baddass like he does.

I enjoyed Margaret Weiss story's about Liriel Baenre for books about a real Drow. Now perhaps she's not as evil as many of her kin in the ways of treachery and deceit, she yet stays true to their race, and pursues her own ambitions above the need of weighing her actions against a self imposed morale code.

Drizzt wasn't truely Drow, he was merely of the same race, they were still excellent books, and I think the fact that Salvatore is a skilled sword fighter in his own right is what made for such a compelling read. His descriptions of battles were always so much more vivid than most other writers.

Drizzt is such a completely unbelievable character he puts me off. With his upbringing, he'd have become just like any other drow.

Nature or Nurture? ;)

As a biology major, I can safely say it is a combination of both. You see nature, in the form of genetics, gives everything a base line potential as far as what they can do and are prone to do. Pigs will not achieve sustained powered flight via any muscular tissue they posses any time soon. However, genes by themselves do nothing more than sustain the life of an organism. The experiences an organism........ experiences, mold that organism's perceptions of the world, or in extreme cases alter that organisms physical makeup (through injury or whatnot). So yes, in brief, it is both.

Drizzt is such a completely unbelievable character he puts me off. With his upbringing, he'd have become just like any other drow.

yeah, you're probably right. no person in all of history has ever gone against what their culture dictates. oh wait... wasn't Einstein German?

i was being sarcastic. of course people can and do break from their cultural ties all the time. einstein was just the first person to come to mind.

Top Bottom