"Dumbest" decisions in your civ career?

Probably pledging to protect every CS on my continent even though Ghengis was my close neighbor. (Diety Fractal Standard)

Then to escalate matters, I paid him to attack Brazil because I was worried that he would attack me.

Needless to say, after he destroyed Brazil, he began taking out City-States, while mocking my military strength, until there were no CS left on my continent. Only my 4 cities and his 12-15.

Didn't end well for me.

Honestly, my biggest mistake is probably simply trying to play a game on Diety. lol

Toss-up between 2, both dealing with the same mistake: in G&K (don't know about BNW), those little notices bubbles that pop up on the right side of the screen between turns. If you click on them, they center the screen on the event on question (such as a new great person) but don't actually select the unit. As such:
1.)I built my first caravel, and right-clicked on the dark section of the mini-map, about 10 turns later realized I was exploring the uncharted waters with an embarked great scientist.
2.)Great Merchant is born, I click on the bubble on the right side of the screen, right clicked on a CS's territory, yeah, trade mission. Except I didn't send the Great Merchant... sent the frickin' SSengine.

Yeah...if there was a civ called TheUnitSelectedIsNotTheOneYouThinkItIs I would definitely be its leader :(

"Dumbest" decisions in your civ career?

Buying more than 3 years ago the expensive pre-package for Civ 5 ... and never playing it. (at least, no more than 3 or 4 hours)
Well. It is a waste of money. Not because the game is bad. I simply utterly do not like it after loving Civ1/2/3/4 (and especially the indredible Fall From Heaven mod)... and putting money into something you left on a shelve on your own decision is not smart.
But the good thing is: since then I have stopped believing in "pre-order" packages, and wait quietly for demo versions or friends with the game for trying it out, for knowing if I have good time with it or not.
I wait for Civ 6, and a playable demo version now...

I lost a game recently as a runaway because I disbanded an army perfectly capable of conquering the world because I was bored with that and switched to playing peaceful, disbanded most of my military, and stopped upgrading the remainder. An era later I was attacked by two neighbors just after dumping all gold reserves on buildings and city states and couldn't upgrade and reinforce my obsolete troops in time. I didn't stand a chance. My culture was huge for a wide empire, my science was excellent, I had a strong religion, and my economy was decent, but I lost anyway. All I had to do was keep a moderate self defense force and I could've chosen from 3 different victory types, but I derped.

Ummmmm... draws circle in the sand with his foot.......

Playing Brave New World, the first time with Congress and Diplomatic Victory. I hadn't bothered to look what it entailed.

I was well in front and getting bored so when a vote came for World leader I thought I'd vote for someone else and see what happened.

Needless to say I lost the game in one turn.

Going into a trade session trying to get a luxury, and accidently giving up on a few luxuries I only have one copy of, thus sending my empire to dire unhappiness levels.

Nuclear testing on my own territory....like, you know, in the real world:) Oh, and one time i actually tried to build close friendship with a civ.

At some point while playing my first game (CIV/G&K) I must have hit the "retire" button by mistake while exiting the game and could not figure out why weeks later, at turn 400+ I had not won what I thought was my well deserved Cultural vic. (Jeeeez... YOU IDIOT)

Embarrassing if nothing else. Not really an in-game boner but still quite lame.

I just made a frustrating mistake. Here I am, playing heavy religion, and the only other religion on my continent is held by the Egyptians. So they're on my hit list, and I'm planning to camel-rush them (Arabs). I start looking at my diplomacy screen and notice that the Egyptians are the only ones who are "friendly" with me (everyone else is "neutral"). So I roll over to get the pop-up as to why, and I see:

"We have made a public declaration of friendship!" What.

WHEN did I do this? WHY did I do this? And how long will it last?! :wallbash:

Eh, screw it. I'm going in, and I'm going in hard... and we'll just have to see how poorly things go. Heh.

Very bad strategy was playing Babylon with Shaka and Atilla on both sides of me I had better tech of course so I built a army to go after Atilla who was a decent distance away once I got my troops at his border I declared war the next turn Shaka came right into my lands with troops and Atilla was really taking my army down. Biggest fail ever really should have just defended with 2 war civs I thought Shaka was actually going after 2 city states since he was bullying them.

My dumbest decision was accidentally accepting a peace offer which involved giving away a few of my cities to the AI. I was winning the war, mind you, and when the screen popped up I had a brain fart and thought that the AI was offering me his cities in exchange for peace. Needless to say, I had to reload (this is why I make the game do an autosave every 4 turns instead of the default 10) :lol:

I did it for maybe twice. Lesson learned: read the fine prints of the agreement. :crazyeye:

End of job contract last May 2013. After that, working on my personal project, looking for job and discovery of CIV 5.
And then playing CIV 5, 8 hours a day. It turns out to be addictive and fun. Not productive now.

Moderator Action: <snip> advertisement link removed. -ori
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Dumbest noob mistake would have to be: Reading "...Connect this resource to your trade network..." which I took to mean build a road to it. I always used to wonder how my friends were able to make huge amounts of gold per turn while I was struggling to stay positive.

Most recently it would be a game where I was Siam with 3 cities trying to hold off a complete and total runaway Alexander. (Emperor, Standard, Standard) I'm in second place in score at about 900, third-eigth between 300 and 750. Meanwhile Alexander has a captial or two, and 2650 score.

He picked up autocracy, I went freedom. I figured I'd use my early lead in delegates to pass World Ideology: Freedom as quick as possible to slow down Alexander. A bunch of my allies (we all hated Alexander) also hopped on the train to Freedom, and soon enough we had enough pressure on him to counteract his massive culture/tourism. Turns out, he switched to freedom. All of a sudden my 34% resistance to his tourism which I was relying on to squeeze out a science victory flopped to a 34% weakness. He DoW's me, but wins a culture victory the next turn. There was no way I could've possibly switched Ideologies to resist him because literally the whole world was Freedom. :(

Most recently it would be a game where I was Siam with 3 cities trying to hold off a complete and total runaway Alexander. (Emperor, Standard, Standard) I'm in second place in score at about 900, third-eigth between 300 and 750. Meanwhile Alexander has a captial or two, and 2650 score.

He picked up autocracy, I went freedom. I figured I'd use my early lead in delegates to pass World Ideology: Freedom as quick as possible to slow down Alexander. A bunch of my allies (we all hated Alexander) also hopped on the train to Freedom, and soon enough we had enough pressure on him to counteract his massive culture/tourism. Turns out, he switched to freedom. All of a sudden my 34% resistance to his tourism which I was relying on to squeeze out a science victory flopped to a 34% weakness. He DoW's me, but wins a culture victory the next turn. There was no way I could've possibly switched Ideologies to resist him because literally the whole world was Freedom. :(

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Did you have a game where nobody picked order? Like, actually? I... I didn't know that was possible! That's really awesome!

I have been wondering if someone in here has ever defeated by the city-states or barbarian and losing the game :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I started my first ever Civ 5 game on Deity and a Huge continents map.
Yea that wasn't pretty.

Top Bottom