1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Dumbest" decisions in your civ career?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by MerchantCo, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Richard Cribb

Richard Cribb He does monologues

Trusting Bismarck...

2. General McUgly

General McUgly Chieftain

Haha...boy does this brings back memories.:lol:

Thanks Ori. :goodjob:

But what was your mistake?:mischief:

Mine? I let Washington settle 4 cities next to me before I Dowed. Since then we've been at perma-war, although I've taken two of his settlers and 3 of his cities.:D

3. darden

darden Chieftain

backstabbing Venice on my last game because I forgot we had a declaration of friendship :(

thank god I bribed Greece into going to war with me -- every other country denounced me, but Greece stayed friendly. since Alexander controlled the World Congress with his five hundred allied CS's, the attempts to embargo me all failed, but I had chain denunciations throughout the rest of the game.

I guess the AI doesn't realize what a huge threat Venice is, even without being aggressive, since they *will* puppet any CS you ally with.

4. Richard Cribb

Richard Cribb He does monologues

One I assume is a classic.
    To make a long story short, we were friends, he caught me napping.:blush:

5. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

I don't think that's happened to me, but I was experimenting a while back to see if it was possible to play a Terra game as Polynesia with raging barbarians, and settle my capital on the terra continent (trying to experience colonialism from a defensive perspective). I never finished any of these games because the lack of other civs just made the game boring, but once my initial settler was captured by barbarians on either the terra continent or an island in the middle (it's harder to tell than you would think), and I had to use my Maori warrior to get him back.

6. ships of desser

ships of desser Chieftain

1. accidentally yea for my enemy (oda nobunaga) as a world leader (back to windows, without saving, settled :p)

2. i played as harun al rashid, allied with japan against siam, i nuke one of siam's city, (first time using atomic bomb) and did'not noticed there was many japan's unit around the city and blast them... and then, i had to dealt with both of them...

7. Gewoon Anders

Gewoon Anders Chieftain

I kinda have been defeated by CS before...Not really a stupid mistake though

It was in G&K, I had been trying to win a Deity game for a long time but most of the time I was defeated by like turn 100.
    Now this was the first game where things actually were looking pretty good.
    I started out as the Maya, had taken over China, some parts of Rome and we were in the Industrial era.

But then Russia(in the west) declared war on me.
    All was going well, I even took a city of her.
    Then Catherine decided to ally 2 city states that were east of my empire.
    Needless to say almost all of my army was in the west trying to fight the technological superior Russians.
    Because Russia had better units I couldn't pull my units back to the east.
    So I tried to defend those cities with some units I had there and by building some.
    But to no avail, those 2 CS took over and razed 3 of my cities and because I tried to reinforce there, I lost grip in the west..
    And so I had lost the game....

8. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

Wow, that really sucks...

My game last night Venice annexed one of my allied CS and denounced my allies, but I was friendly with them, so I asked my strongest ally Mongolia to declare war on them. My old defensive pact with Venice hadn't expired yet, so I was at war with Mongolia...

9. njmfff

njmfff Prince

My first game, I spawned next to France and Russia. (vanilla).

They both like(d) to spam cities and beat up their neighbors. So can imagine what happen. I had some experience with the game since I already played preview civ games, but at that time I still didn't have the good feeling and awareness of city placement like I have now.

Now, AI declaring war on me isn't big deal, it's more like annoyance because it cripples your economy and deals (goodbye TR). Now I love AI declaring war on me, because it means I can take his land without getting diplo hit with other civs. :lol:

10. jlim201

jlim201 King

playing on deity on my first game.